The Upper Peninsula

The Upper Peninsula

Like a dream, everything is perfect. Beautifully, the sound of the water rushing sends me on a grand adventure. Where to? I am not sure. Every path takes me to an unknown world. One day I am standing on the top of a cliff. Looking down at the tranquil waters of Lake Superior, I take a deep breath. I am in peace with all the nature around me. I can hear the chirping of bird surround me, engulfing me in their sweet song. They take me somewhere new. On a trail, I am now walking. Walking, I head forward. Through the twists of the trail I am now somewhere. A waterfall gently runs a couple feet in front of me. I step into the shimmering blue stream, moving closer to the gentle falls. Before I know it I’m right next to its beauty, the chilling water splashing onto my face. When I open my eyes I am on a canoe with a fishing pole held firmly in my hands. I cast it out into the depths of Big Bay, hoping something will latch on. After a while of waiting in the cool breeze, something tightly clamps on to my hook. I reel in, excitement filling me. There on my line is a decent sized bass, my first catch of the day. I take it off my hook and toss it back into the water. It hits the water with a splash as something plummets down towards it. Beak wide open a bald eagle swoops down right next to me and takes the fish up high into the treetops to eat it. Rain begins to fall gently, as night closes in. I tie my canoe up to a post and walk back to my cabin. I fall into my cozy bed, listening to the cricket’s chirp me into a deep slumbering sleep. I wake up on a shore; across the water is an island. Through the water I wade. Towards the island I am heading. I reach it and run up to the top of the cliff. I see endless paths going in different directions. I take the hardest path. Going up stony ledges and stepping over the roots jutting out of the ground, I face many challenges. The struggle is worth it. When I get to the end of the path there is people. They are on the peaks of the rocks, gracefully jumping off into the water below them. At first I am scared but when I see them come up it is a relief. Then I look next to me where my brothers and my sister stand with a grin on their face. I read their thoughts, they want to jump. One after another they stand at the tip and jump off. As I watch them jump I realize that what I’m in is not a dream. It is reality.