‹ Prequel: We Are Young
Sequel: The Motto

Secrets

Matt

Matt played with his pen, watching it flip up twist around and land with a sharp plop on his desk. He looked bored out of his mind, but in his head he was making one of the biggest decisions of his life.

“Just run!” Steve exclaimed. “I know you lost all the other times but one more time isn’t going to hurt, will it?” Matt shrugged.

Steve rolled his eyes. “Hey, Steve’s right” Matt’s friend, Kyle said. “Give it one more chance with a good convincing speech you might win”

“In my dreams” Matt said. “In my dreams”

“God, the current juniors are such downers” Steve said. “Good think I’m a senior and I see all the bright things in like”

“That’s because you can see the light at the end of the tunnel” Kyle said. “We’re still lost in the darkness”

“Dude, the light at the end of the tunnel is a train waiting to hit me!” Matt exclaimed.

“And it looks like my theory is correct” Steve said.

“Matt, running one more time won’t kill you. If anything it shows dedication” Kaya told him. “Give it one more shot. Hey, maybe things will change”

“Fine”

“If you win I want you to dedicate your diploma to me” Steve said.

“Why?”

“I don’t know, I just want someone to dedicate their diploma to me”



“I want everyone to vote for Matt” a girl said during Steve’s study hall. At that moment Steve was less focused on his math homework and more focused on this junior girl talking. Her name’s Rory.

“Why?” her friend asked.

“Because he’d be the perfect vice president, Haley is good but she’s so boring. The fundraisers are so boring and dull, we could do so much better with someone vibrant as VP” Rory explained.

“You are absolutely right Miss Ramsey” her friend said. “But there has to be another reason. You thought he was an idiot last year”

“Things change, I see differently now”

“So you like him?”

“I don’t know”

“Oooh” her friend said in a flirty tone. “Matt and Rory sitting in a tree, F-U-C-K-I-N-G, first comes sex then comes happy endings, then comes junior Matt in a baby carriage” both girls laughed.

“That made no sense” Steve smirked.



“You’re telling me I have a fan club?” Matt asked. “Who is it?”

“Some Rory girl in my study” Steve explained. “She got ten people to vote for you. She’s quite the actor. She made you seem awesome”

“Really? Wow I owe her big time if I win this”

The announcements came on over the speakers. “And we have the results of the class of 2014 elections. President, Courtney James, vice president Matt Randall, treasurer…” everyone in the class roared for Matt.

Steve smiled. “I really owe Rory for this”

“I think she might like you, too” Steve said. “She might have hinted at it”

“Really?” Matt asked. “I’ve never thought about her like that, she’s so quiet. I’ve never even talked to her before”

“I don’t know, you probably should” Kaya joined in. “Because how sweet is it that she convinced all those people to vote for you. And without threats, too”

“I know, that’s pretty sweet” Matt smiled. No girl has ever cared that much about his happiness before. It’s kind of…nice.



“I can’t just ask her out, Kyle” Matt grabbed a lunch tray. “I just can’t go up to a girl I don’t ever talk to and be like ‘hey wanna fuck!”

“But you wouldn’t actually say that” Steve said. “Who fucks on the first date anyways?”

“I do” Kyle said as he grabbed a lunch tray.

“It might be what happened between me and Kaya all over again” Steve explained. “You need to get to know her before you ask her out, it’s kind of sketchy if you ask out a practical stranger”

“Good point Steve, thanks for giving me useful advice. On the other hand Kyle I’m not going to fuck her on the first date”

“Why not? Her vagina’s probably really tight”

“Conversation over” Steve put his lunch tray back.

“Suddenly I’m not hungry” Matt said.



Matt had a English class with Rory later in the day after lunch, so he started there. “Hey, did you vote for me?” he asked a random bunch of girls that sat around Rory they all nodded. “Well I appreciate it very much”

“Your welcome” Rory said. “Your speech was very…heartwarming” she smiled.

“Thanks because I had no idea if it made sense when I was writing it” Rory laughed. “I promise to be a great VP”

‘I hope so, or I’m impeaching you” she said.

“Can you even do that in high school?”

“I don’t know, wanna be the first one to be impeached?” Matt shrugged.

“It’ll be something new to add to the books” she giggled. he sat down in his seat across the room. So she was a bit humorous.



“Congrats!” Kaya hugged Matt the next time she saw him in the halls. “How does it feel?” she asked.

“Great. But I still don’t know how to handle the situation with Rory”

“Well did you say thank you?” he nodded. “Then that’s enough if you want”

“But I like her” Matt admitted. “I know I don’t know her personally but she really cares about my happiness and she’s not even chasing me like all the other whores!” Matt exclaimed. “I want to get to know her”

“Then just ask her out” Kaya said. “That’s all”

“That’s all” he repeated.



At the end of the school day he waited around the front doors looking for Rory. He planned it out perfectly. He would see her, walk casually besides her and mention how she persuaded people into voting for him, then they would talk more about his plans and then it would happen he would ask her out.

It wasn’t guaranteed to work. The walk from the doors to her bus could be 10 steps so it might not work. But he needed to do it now before he had time to sleep on it.

He liked making impulsive decisions with the rest of them.

He saw Rory coming out the front doors. He slowly and casually walked along the pavement. Rory came up behind him and walked hehind him.

“Hey Rory” He said casually and calmly. He was starting to shake for some reason. He’s never been nervous about girls before but just thinking about how much he wanted to know this girl killed him.

“Hey VP” they both smiled.

“So I wanted to know something” he started.

“What?”

“I heard you were persuading people into voting for me” she giggled.

“I wasn’t paying people or threatening them, It was before your speech. I gave them the reasons why I believed you would do better then Haley. I hate Haley so I wanted her to lose” they laughed.

“So you did all of it just to make Haley lose?”

“Yeah I guess, I guess I feel a bit bad that it’s taken you four tries to get something”

“Well, thanks for that. Everyone has so much faith in me it’s almost overwhelming’

“I’ll know you’ll do alright” she told him. “I have faith in you”

Matt could tell Rory was starting to approach a bus. “Well I was wndering’ Matt said. “Can I repay you for your hard work?” he asked. She stopped walking when she got to the bus.

“You don’t have to”

“I want to, a date, this weekend” he said. “Do I have to beg?” Rory blushed.

“No, I accept” Matt smiled.

“Great…I just…I want the opportunity to know you better. No one’s really showed that much interest in me, mostly I’m just like…a penis then a human being with a pulse” She didn’t know how to respond to that so she looked at the ground. “Wow now I’m getting awkward—I’m sorry, basically I just want to go out with you but I’m dragging this—can I just have permission to kiss you?” she blushed as she nodded. Matt leaned in and kissed her softly on the lips. The perfect way to bring their junior year to an end.

The calm before the storm
♠ ♠ ♠
don't worry, he's like a filler chapter/character
i thought of his/Rory's storyline recently and decided to add it in here