Picture Perfect, More Or Less.

A Queer Name For a Queer Guy.

[Carter hangs up the phone, as Numa had just abruptly ended the call. He looks at Ross, who's sitting near on the dining room chair and shrugs, as if to say, "It's Numa being Numa."]

Ross: Well, someone is in a shitty mood today.
Carter, sighing: Yeah, well... You know how he gets when he doesn't smoke for a while...
Ross, irritated: Oh, whatever dude. He's just a prick. Too bad he's our little prick, huh? (Ross stands up and slings his backpack over his broad shoulders.) Well, we might as well get this show on the road. It's about a twenty minute walk over there, and I don't want my mom to call Numa's house and I'm not there.
Carter: You mean she doesn't know you stopped by my house? (Carter walks over to the bathroom, looks into the mirror, adjusts his sweatshirt and takes out a brush from the drawer and starts gently going through his long blonde hair. Ross notices and chuckles.)
Ross: Who the hell you dolling up for? Your boyfriend Numa? (Ross walks over to Carter and looks at him through the mirror, jokingly slapping his hands on Carter's thighs.) He don't deserve no guy as fine as you honey, mmm-hm.
(They both laugh and grab their things, Ross' backpack, Carter's favorite brush, twenty bucks from Carter's dad's wallet, and a bag of pajamas for Ross and Carter. They walk out into the cold night. Ross looks at his wristwatch. About 8:45. Nice timing.)

Carter, voice cracking at the first word: Hey Ross, you gonna actually smoke this stuff with me and Numa tonight, right? I hear this is some good shit, too. Two hundred dollars for a couple joints, half the fuckin' money his mom left him for the month!
Ross, scoffing: No, Carter. I've been clean my whole life, and I'm keeping it that way. You think my momma would want me doing that stuff? (Ross' voice is deep and absolute, compared to Carter's higher pitched and constantly cracking pubescent voice.)
Carter: Huh, whatever man. You say stuff like that, yet you be running around without calling your ma telling her where you're at? I don't think she'd like that either, Ross.
Ross considers the well-played comeback: Yeah? Well fuck you too. (They both laugh loudly, but begin to quiet as they see two figures approaching, walking on the same sidewalk they share. For a few moments, only the crunching of the snow under their shoes can be heard, as well as the occasional passing car.)
Female voice: Well, I thought I recognized that manly tone! Ross, you're so loud, the kids around are waiting for Santa you know! (As the two figures approach closer, Ross and Carter soon find that it's their schoolmates, Lexas and Bree. Bree had her long blonde hair in a pony tail, covered by a stylish little winter hat that matches her dark blue sweater and pants. Lexas was, of course, wearing all black and had her short hair dyed a new color. It was dark, but Carter and Ross thought it looked red.)
Bree, teasing the boys, mostly Ross: You guys are staying out of trouble, hm? I wouldn't wanna have to go tell your mom, right Ross? She knows your out?
Ross smiles: Aw, now why would she have to worry with a fine girl such as yourself stalking about? Ya never let me out of your sights, she doesn't have a thing to fear. (Ross and Bree laugh. Lexas glances at Carter, but when Carter looks back she turns away with a frown.)
Carter, nervously: So, where are you guys heading off to anyways? Kind of dark.
Lexas, not looking at anyone: Well, there's a Christmas party over at Natalia's house, which we're going to be late for if Bree keeps stopping and flirting. (Bree and Ross laugh, and Carter tries to join along nervously.)
Ross: Come on Bree, you're not extending this honor to any other boys are ya?
Bree, still laughing: Course not. Anyways, we better go, Natalia's gonna get pissed. Nice seeing you boys, don't have too much fun. (Bree gives Ross a quick hug and waves goodbye to Carter as they pass. Carter nods and decides not to say anything to Bree.)
Carter: Uh, talk to you later, Lexas!
Lexas: Whatever.
Bree, voice fading from distance: Oh, stop that Lexas, you know he likes you...
Carter: Wait, what'd she say? Is it that obvious? Ross, how many people know? (Ross laughs off Carter's barrage of questions and continues walking over to Numa's.)

Numa, hearing the doorbell ring: Coming, guys.(Carter knocks again.) Coming, Jesus!
(He opens the door and a gust of cold air comes in. Ross pushes Carter out of the way and tackles Numa with a forceful hug, picking him up off the ground. Which wasn't too hard, Ross being six one and Numa being the shortest at about five seven. Ross hadn't seen him in a while, about two months, which is a long time for best friends. Numa laughs.)
Numa, out of breath: Let go of me, homo! I know I'm sexy and everything... (Ross lets him down and throws his backpack on the nearby couch. Carter walks in.)
Ross, teasing Numa: Wow, nice pig den. Couldn't use a little Febreeze on these nasty ass pillows? (Ross gingerly picks up one of the pillows, smells it, then makes a hysterical face and throws it at Carter.)
Numa laughs: I was hoping a stronger scent would rub off on ya. Better then that nasty ass body spray you always where.
Carter: Yeah, Ross. You gotta remember; shit plus shit equals shit!
(They all share a hearty laugh as they sit down to Numa's plasma screen TV, grabbing up assorted chips, snack cakes and slices of pizza from the table around them, filled to the brim with junk food. Just the way it always was for them at Numa's house. They flipped the channels until they stumbled upon a summer blockbuster that had been out for a few years. They decided to watch it.)
Numa: Hmm... Gary Shrill. That's a dumb name.
Ross: Look who's talking. Numa? Come on, you're a faggot.
Numa: Hey, it's Roman.
Ross: Whatever faggot.
Numa: What, it is!
Ross: No, I believe you. But faggot is Roman too. (They both laugh. Carter just picks up on the conversation.)
Carter: Wait, that word's Roman? (They ignore his dumb question.)
Numa, laughing: Hey, it's a better name then Ron. Like Ron Weasel, or whatever the fuck that wizard's name is. (Carter starts paying attention.)
Carter: Wait, who the hell called you Ron?
Numa, hysterical: Oh shit, Carter didn't hear this one? Come on dude, tell it!
Ross rolls his eyes: Ugh. Do I have to? I've told it a million times.