Mess of a Life

Work

Bettie woke up slightly disoriented and headed down the stairs to use the bathroom. She moved through the house eyes half opened and headed straight to the bathroom without really taking notice of things around her. The house was quiet as she washed her hands and face. Afterwards she was slightly more alert and headed out of the bathroom to see Johnny holding a cup of coffee with a smile on his face. Bettie gave him a dirty look and stole his coffee for being too lively in the morning.

“Just got in, noticed you had company last night,” Johnny smirks.

“What? Stop talking, I‘m not awake yet,” she mutters sitting at the kitchen table. Bettie cradled the mug and sat with her legs resting on the chair across from her. Taking a drink of the hot coffee she closed her eyes letting out a grunt of disapproval. “Did you reheat two day old coffee?”

“Possibly.”

“Gross. What are we heathens?”

Johnny let out a laugh and merely shrugged his shoulders. He didn’t feel like making a new pot of coffee and he knew Bettie was the one to always make the delicious caffeine infused drink. Like most children do when they are asked to do something they don’t want to do by their parents, he did that something wrong so he wouldn’t be asked to do it again. Bettie got up from her spot and began to make a proper pot of coffee while Johnny sat down at the table. She leaned against the counter and waited for the coffee to finish. Her gaze went to Johnny who smiled at her.

“So have fun last night?”

“It was alright just work,” she shrugs.

“Right,” Johnny exaggerates. Bettie didn’t think much of his tone because it was too early to pick up on. Instead the day went on and she ran her errands visited local shops then headed to the grocery store to get some things for lunch that coming week. The week started and after some much needed rest she continued onwards with her work.

The problem with Bettie was she got way too involved in her work often opting to choose work over a social life. One thing she didn’t forget was the fact William had left his wallet at her place Sunday morning when he snuck out of the house to avoid a possible awkward conversation. He had thought he had slept with her during his drunken spree and he wasn’t ever good at dealing with one night stands. Not to be very conspicuous while slipping the wallet on top of his chair, Bettie was quick to walk away to do another task. Her focus went to work and eventually she actually took an hour break for lunch.

The place of choice to eat at was on a tree log hidden from view. She munched on the animal crackers she had packed after eating her sandwich. Humming rather cheerfully as she ate the childhood snack Bettie bobbed her head to the beat. William was on break from shooting when he heard someone humming Journey’s famous song “Don‘t Stop Believin‘.” Like anyone else who was a fan of Journey he followed the humming and saw Bettie sitting alone eating animal crackers. Bettie looked up and smiled in a friendly manner.

“You on lunch break?” Will questions.

“Looks that way, would you like an animal cracker?” Bettie offers holding out the box towards him.

“I haven‘t had these in years.”

“That’s unfortunate, they’re classic,” she smiles as he took a few of the animal shaped snacks.

“I‘m so glad you‘re cool about everything, most girls aren‘t like that, thought talking to you after last night would be awkward,” he comments.

“Should be fine as long as I‘m not pregnant.”

“Ugh-what?”

“I‘m sorry that was a bad joke, we most definitely didn‘t sleep together.”

“We didn‘t,” Will says looking rather disbelieving.

“You were about to get kicked out of the strip club and I couldn‘t find anyone who knew where you were staying so I took you home and let you sleep on my couch,” Bettie says with a chuckle. “You really thought we slept together?”

“I don‘t remember a whole lot. I didn‘t try anything did I?”

“Not really, you passed out on my couch rather quickly.”

“Thanks for bringing back my wallet and making sure I got somewhere safe.”

“No problem, I didn‘t want you to get in trouble,” Bettie says.

“Wait what were you doing at a strip club?” Will found himself asking.

“Oh yeah I work there actually.”

“Really?”

“Jobs are hard to come by, I‘m a cocktail waitress.”

“For a second I thought you were a stripper.”

“I am not coordinated enough to be dancing on poles,” she laughs.

“I wouldn‘t have guessed that you would work at a place like that,” he comments. Bettie gave a nonchalant shrug and smiled again.

“It‘s not so bad, I get good tips and get to dress like I came straight out of a Sir Mix A Lot video. It‘s the little things.”

“So how does one get a job at a strip club?”

“Why you need to research a role?” Bettie inquires with a teasing smile. Will couldn’t help but laugh.

“Yes, my next big movie role is as a male stripper.”

“I suppose male stripper movies are the next big thing, damn you Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey for starting the movement,” she says shaking her head.

“Oh so you‘re not going to go see Magic Mike?”

“Of course I am, they don’t have popcorn at real strip clubs, plus I don’t have to worry about tips.”

“Wow you are terrible,” he laughs.

“I‘m very much aware,” Bettie chuckles. Her headset did a distinct beep and she pressed a button to allow the message to go through. “Yeah Marty?”

“The band we had scheduled backed out for the scene, do you know anyone that could come replace them,” the voice inquires in a rushed tone.

“Yeah, I can get one here in about fifteen minutes give or take.”

“Really?”

“Yeah should be fine, I‘ll make the calls,” Bettie replies she pulled out her cell phone. Will watched as Bettie began making her calls each one warning the artist that if they acted inappropriately she’d beat them up because it was her place of work and her ass was on the line as well. Within ten minutes the arrangements were made and five minutes later the band showed up. Others were impressed with her quick timing and ability to have contacts with a great band. Bettie had gotten Johnny to be there along with a couple other friends of theirs. Johnny and the others were more than excited when they arrived. The group of guys went straight to Bettie and they smiled brightly at her as they went in for hugs.

“Ugh stop,” Bettie mutters.

“You know we love to make you feel awkward, Bets.”

“Yeah, plus you set us up with a cool gig.”

“Okay well Marty and the director Lyle are going to tell you what you need to do so hop to it punks,” she replies moving away from their affections. The older woman by the name of Marty approached them and smiled in approval.

“Good work Bettie, they’re cute, let’s see if they can play and take direction too,” Marty says.

“We can definitely take direction, Bettie bosses us around constantly.”

“But she does it with a smile so we don’t realize it’s happening,” Johnny reminds giving Bettie a smirk.

“Marty this is Johnny, Paul, Luke and Mike. Guys this is Marty,” Bettie introduces. Marty smiled at the group and gesture for them to follow her. Bettie was left standing alone, she kept up with her traditional assistant duties while the guys played for the cameras and Will walked up next to her drink in hand whilst they both found themselves watching the group play.

“So where’d you find those guys?”

“I live with the singer.”

“Ah I see.”

“The other three are the ones that introduced us to each other,” she states as she filed the permission forms that the guys had signed.

“How long have you been together?” Will inquires.

“Wait what?”

“You two aren’t together?”

“Ha, not even, we’re roommates,” Bettie laughs.

“I just assumed,” he admits.

“Yeah I suppose people do have their assumptions about a guy and a girl living together. On the bright side after this take there is only one more scene you have to do.”

“Yeah, I guess, that is exciting.”

“Of course it is you get to go off to do your thing afterwards. As do I, Mondays are terrible,” she says as the scene was coming to an end. She placed the files in an accordion binder and tucked it underneath her arm while she took a sip from her water bottle. The guys finished and Johnny approached Bettie with a knowing smirk.

“Hope you’re behaving yourself Bets,” Johnny teases.

“Always, you lot did good, thanks for coming,” she replies not acknowledging his smirk.

“Should we expect you for Margarita Monday tonight?”

“Margarita Monday?” Will responds looking at the man.

“Yes, Bettie is a fan of alliteration and alcohol,” he states.

“Making that three words you used that begin with the letter A,” Bettie points out.

“And since you’ve gotten to know her a little better already I figured you’d come over,” Johnny adds.

“Were you dropped on your head? I told you what happened.”

“And I like to think you were lying.”

“I noticed,” she mutters darkly.

“You’re still invited dude, it’s the only way to get rid of Monday in the proper spirit,” he states looking at Will.

“I don’t have any plans, except finishing the last scene.”

“Great, Bettie can give you directions.”

“Will we need you to start,” the director calls.

“Alright,” Will says before excusing himself from the area. Johnny nudged Bettie and smiled at her. She merely shook her head at him and proceeded to pull off a piece of lint off his shirt.

“The guys are coming over as well,” Johnny reminds.

“Okay, well sounds good to me, I’ve got to work though, see you at home,” Bettie says grabbing a box to be taken to the tech guys.

“Don’t work too hard.”

Bettie continued her work and secretly hoped Will would forget the invite because Margarita Mondays were her special day and she didn’t like mixing work with home. The last shoot took little over two hours and she helped pack up the area with the others. Marty bid Bettie the signal that she could leave and she began her walk back home. Will caught up with Bettie in the parking lot and she turned giving him a small smile groaning inwardly that she was going to have to be nice.

“Is that invitation still open for tonight?”

“Yeah, I can write the address down on a piece of paper,” she responds reaching into her bag to get out a something to write on.

“I noticed you don’t drive here, how about I drive us there?” Will suggests.

“Simple enough.”

“Okay great, well my car is over here.”

Bettie nodded a little grateful for a ride home since she had been on her feet all day. At the same time she felt all sorts of weird about the situation and she hoped that he could handle the frat boy sensibilities that her friends had. All she could do was think that he was like one of the guys because otherwise she’d end up acting strangely. Will welcomed the idea of having a relaxed night of drinking with other people than himself and Bettie seemed cool enough but there was something about her that made him want to know her better. With sober eyes Will looked at her wondering just who the hell this girl was. She gave him a close lipped smile as she sat in the passenger seat and they left the set for a night of margaritas.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a while, thought I'd update...Margarita Monday should be fun to write. Hope you enjoyed the update and thanks for the comments/subscriptions.