Status: Complete

I Don't Love You, Like I Did Yesterday

Nothing Matters, No One Else

Adam's P.O.V.

"Dad's in the hospital." I sighed again, squeezing my eyes and preparing for a meltdown. Lex was really close with our dad, more than I was anyway. But the meltdown never came, and instead all I heard was a thud and the wind whip past.

"Lex? Are you okay?" I asked softly, looking at the TV but not really paying any attention to it. No answer. "Lex?" I repeated a little louder. Nothing.

"Fuck!" I shouted and stood up. Ronnie came out of the bathroom looking at me questioningly.

"What happened?" He asked me, stepping into the lounge quickly.

"Lex. I told her. I don't know where she is but she's probably freaking out." I ran across the room to grab my jacket.

"Are you fucking serious? Come on!" He shouted and ran over to bus door, swinging it open and dashing out in front of me. I let it slam behind us, not really giving a fuck if it woke up my bandmates.

We ran as fast as we could through the grass, zigzagging through rows of buses, frantically searching for my sister's.

"Lex!" Ronnie shouted. I followed suit, shouting out too in search of the girl. After running into the gate, I looked up and saw a billboard.

"Tacony Palmyra Bridge..." I stood there for a minute, letting the words register in my brain. Why the hell did that sound so damn familiar? Then it hit me, like a fucking freight train. I remembered when I had first moved to Philly, and my dad asked me to go pick my sister up in Jersey. He specifically to not take the Tacony Palmyra. Which I did anyway, of course. I also remember it being not even ten minutes away from the house.

"What the hell are you doing?! We need to find her! Not stare at gates!" Ronnie threw his arms in the air and screamed at me. I swung around and grabbed a fist full of his leather jacket and yanked his weight closer, signaling that he didn't need to yell. He raised an eyebrow and I sighed and let go of him, not wanting to fight with my friend. We had more important things to do.

Before I had a chance to tell the angry, confused man about my realization, something caught my eye in the grass by his foot. I dropped to my knees and grabbed it, examining it. It was Lex's phone. I looked at at Ronnie sadly and he looked at the sleek smartphone in my hand before looking up at the billboard and gasping as everything hit him.

"We're in Jersey." He stated with a blank look and I nodded, running my fingers along the smooth screen.

"I hadn't even realized we were on the east coast yet. We haven't had a show in days. We should go after her." I sighed and called a cab as I got up.

Lex, wherever you are, please don't do anything stupid.

Lex's P.O.V.

As soon as Adam's voice reached out though the speaker of my phone, the world seemed to stop dead in it's tracks. The sounds around me were tuned out and I couldn't stop my phone from slipping from my grasp and falling into the freshly cut grass with a soft thud. Everything seemed to be in slow motion as I took off into the fastest sprint I had ever dared to go towards the gate. Even the wind whipping my hair behind me seemed to move at a slower pace. Reaching the gate, I didn't even bother to attempt to squeeze out below the chain. Instead, I jumped up and linked my fingers harshly through the gate and swung my legs onto the chain, jumping off onto the pavement as soon as I let go, hitting the ground running.

Directions didn't register in my brain, but I somehow just knew were to go. My heart pounded in chest just as my feet did to the asphalt as I darted in between traffic to the other side of the road where a cab was stopped at a red light. I seen there was nobody occupying it and flung the door open, throwing myself into the back of it.

The driver swung around in his seat, obviously startled "Huh? Miss, I'm pickin-" I cut him off, obviously not giving a shit.

"Take me over the bridge as fast as you fucking can." I reached into the pocket and grabbed the hundred in cash I had left, tossing the crumpled up twenty dollar bills into the front of the car.

"O-okay miss." He turned around just as the light turned green, stepping on the gas pedal and speeding past other cars. I leaned back against the leather seats, which had obviously seen better days, and tried to catch my breath as he turned onto the Bridge. About halfway over it, I heard drops of water start to pelt the the windshield, and it still didn't break me out of my daze. My mind was blank, my face was blank, the only sign that I was alive was my heavy breathing. I blinked a few times and stared straight toward as the city came into view through the now pouring rain. I felt the sinking feeling that I had been yanking on my insides all afternoon slam my heart into my stomach as we the car reached the end of the bridge and the cab driver slowed down. We drove towards an overpass I remember throwing rocks off of when I was teenager, vaguely. All those memories felt so far away now. If I could think, I'd probably be upset. Across the cement on the side of the red, white, and blue painted overpass it read 'Welcome To Philadelphia' in cursive writing. The 'e' in welcome was missing, which was ironic, considering it was painted there.

The cab driver turned around and raised a bushy eyebrow at me, silently asking me where to go. We pulled up to another green light on state road. I didn't even bother taking my eyes off of the road before I answered, my voice sounding robotic to even myself.

"Make a left and go down four blocks. Drop me off there." Within minutes we reached the corner I told him to drop me off at. I stepped out of the car onto the curb and cab driver took off. I raised my head and looked up, breathing in the smell of the city as the rain poured down onto the busy road. I looked around the street and spotted a couple of abandoned warehouses I used to hang in years ago before the cars whizzing past me snapped me back to reality. I turned around and took off into an even faster run than before, partly because now I knew exactly where I was going this time. My heart never stopped racing as I ran a few blocks, turning at each corner towards my house. I ignored soaking wet clothes and my hair, which whipped around and stuck to either my face or neck whenever I made a sharp turn on a street corner. I sped up even more as the corner of my street came into view. The muscles in my thighs practically screamed in protest, but I just kept pushing toward and ignored it, just like I ignored everything else on my way here.

The rain stung my eyes as I skidded to a halt in front of the walkway leading up to my front porch before launching myself up the steps two at a time. As soon as my feet hit the cement of the front porch, I heard Duke start to bark and whine. Swinging the screen door open and wiping the rain out of out of my eyes and yanking my keys out of my pocket by the lanyard and searching frantically through the keychains for the one that would grant me access to the front door. I found it and jammed it into the deadbolt, twisting sharply and throwing myself into the living room, the door slammkng behind me. I fell to my knees onto the black carpet. Inhaling for the first time, I broke down. The smell triggered the tears that were mingling with the rain on my cheeks as Duke came sniffed around me, licking the water off of my arms. He whined and circled me, shoving his snout under my chin to raise my bead. I choked back a sob when I did, only to spot a picture of my dad holding me when I was little outfront of the house.

I never thought home would feel this bad
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww. Poor Lex /:
Thanks to thatscalledyes and becca65 for your comments on the last chapter. You guys are the best.