Sweet Like Honey

Chapter One

“Remember to keep in touch with me and don’t drink anything you haven’t opened yourself. Avoid walking around at night alone and never leave the house without your pepper spray," says Charley my annoying yet loveable chauffeur.

“I’m going to be fine,” I sigh and roll my eyes as he continues to blab on about all the things I shouldn’t do.

“I can’t believe I’m letting you do this,” he says regretfully.

“Please don’t tell anyone where I’m going,” I add hoping he keeps his promise.

"I remember when you were just a little girl and you would pray to the pudding gods, now you're about to live on your own," he adds as his eyes fill with tears.

Pudding gods? Oh right my mother once told me that I wasn't allowed to have pudding because the pudding gods didn't want little girls messing with the magic of pudding. Little did I know she really didn't want me jumping around on a sugar high. I use to beg the pudding gods to let me have my way.

"I'll be back eventually, I promise."

He nods solemnly and gives me a big bear hug. The air rushes out of my lungs and I squirm around until he catches the hint. We finally let go and I walk into the bus and take my seat.

I don’t really know what I’m doing, but I just have to do it. It reminds me of the time I tried mimicking my grandmother’s cookies. She never did share the secret recipe with me because I was too young or whatever. Anyways I tried making them from scratch and the result was a disaster. The cookies didn’t harden at all they stayed mushy and dark brown and they tasted like salty pudding.

This time nothing will go wrong because well one I’m not making cookies I’m traveling across the country to my best friend’s house. Two, I’m twenty three years old and am perfectly capable of taking care of myself. And three Harvey, my best friend since high school, is picking me up at the bus station. Once I’m with Harvey everything will be just fine I won’t have to worry too much about strangers or getting mugged. I just have to worry about the stops in between but everything will be ok I mean I do have pepper spray and kick ass self-defense moves.

The bus starts moving slowly and I look out the window and wave at Charley one last time and I watch as the bus station disappears. After several hours of driving and drooling on the window the bus comes to a stop. Some people get off and some don’t. My stomach rumbles and I am tempted to get off and buy some snacks, but it’s dark outside. I was warned not to go out in the dark alone and I never have. It’s dangerous.

Dangerous, according to my parents.

I will not have their fears follow me all my life! I am twenty three years old I can walk around at 9pm alone if I want to. I get up and the moment I step off the bus I instantly regret it. The distance between the bus and the store is pretty far and unlit. . .

I can do this. I start walking towards the store until I hear a rustling in the bushes nearby. Dear pudding gods please let it be nothing please! I keep walking until I hear the noise again except much louder this time and before I know it a raccoon runs out and I jump. It’s just a raccoon! I laugh to myself about how ridiculous I’m being. I even went as far as begging the pudding gods to help me out over a raccoon in the bushes. Embarrassing much.

Once I get into the store I take my time looking for the perfect snack. I see some people from the bus hanging around the store so I know the bus hasn’t left yet.

“You look familiar,” says the woman also looking at the chips. Oh she sits right behind me on the bus.

“I don’t think I know you,” I add hoping she doesn’t recognize me.

“I know! You’re Adam Jefferson’s daughter you’re in his campaign ads on T.V.! What’s your name again? Abigail Jefferson?” asks the lady with a smile on her face.

“I get that a lot but no I’m not her I just look like her,” I say hoping she believes me.

“Oh. Oh you’re right the real Abigail is probably much taller,” she adds.

“Yes I’m sure she is.”

“That is such a fine family from what I hear. I hope he gets elected I would like to see him as governor,” she says and takes a bag of chips and walks away.

Fine family eh? If by fine she means paranoid and obsessed with order and organization then it is a fine family indeed. If only the public really knew that they wouldn’t love us so much. Oh are those buffalo flavored pretzels? Hmm I’ve never had these before. I’ll give them a try!

I pay for my snack in cash, my way of stopping my parents from tracking me down, and walk outside again. The moment I step out I see the bus start to drive away and I run like crazy after it. Please pudding gods please make it stop! I run as fast as my feet can carry me until I see the bus slow down and stop at a stop sign. I catch up and bang on the door. The bus driver lets me in and lectures me on paying attention to the time when I get off anywhere. I pant and thank him and the pudding gods for letting me back in. I’m already off to a rough start and it hasn’t even been a day! I have to do this though! I can make it all the way to Harvey's place!

No turning back now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Skipped class to update this. Next chapter Harvey will be introduced!