Sweet Like Honey

Chapter Five

I once found a dog eating out of the garbage of my apartment building. I felt really bad for it so I started leaving food for him. He took a liking to me and followed me wherever I went. I couldn’t go anywhere alone since the dog happily followed me. I tried to hide the fact that I had a new friend from my parents but I couldn’t keep the I’m-hiding-something-from-you expression off my face. They found out and sent the dog to the pound.

I’ve never really been good at keeping secrets because my facial expressions won’t let me. The sucky part is that Harvey knows that. He knows that when I’m hiding something I keep a guilty look on my face and stuff myself with food to keep myself from saying anything. Not that I don’t already stuff my face with food, I just do it more often when I’m keeping a secret.

It’s been several days since . . . the incident and, like the dog I found, it follows me everywhere. I can’t freaking stop thinking about it and Harvey’s caught on. That night after I ran off, Harvey followed me out and I pretended to throw up in the bushes. Harvey, thinking I was sick, took me home right away. Thank the pudding gods because I was afraid that Zack would have found me if I stayed any longer.

“Ok so are you going to tell me what’s up?” asks Harvey scanning the dessert filled dining table.

“What are you talking about?” I say stuffing three peanut butter cup cookies into my mouth.

“Come on I know you,” he says and grabs a small cup of the banana pudding I made.

“I’m just nervous. You know how I get before job interviews,” I say using the job interview as an excuse.

"I don't understand you. You hate strangers but you're willing to work with them," says Harvey.

"A job is a job and I know these people will be trust worthy because they're working for the government," I explain.

Harvey got really sick of me loafing around his house and got me a job interview with the Forest Service. He hasn’t told me the specifics yet but he says it involves hiking. He’s afraid my eating habits are going to give me a heart attack so he got me an outdoor job.

“I don’t believe you,” he says but before he can continue we hear frantic knocks on the door. Harvey’s about to go open it until a guy comes barging in. Does he not lock his doors? Scary!

“Ryan what the hell?” says Harvey wondering what could be so important that he had to barge in like that.

My mouth drops open when I make eye contact with Ryan. It’s like staring at a smaller and prettier version of Zack. Ugh this is not happening.

“You made out with my brother,” says Ryan with a goofy smile on his face.

Great, all cover is blown.

“What?” asks Harvey getting over the fact that his boyfriend just barged into his house like he lived here.

“Zack’s been in an incredibly good mood the past few days and when I asked why he never answered. I thought it was all these other reasons until his boss came over for dinner one day. He asked Zack about the girl he was hanging out with that night we went to eat and he didn’t say much. His boss said he thought they were dating because he saw them kissing. Being brilliant and all I put the pieces together and they all lead me to you,” says Ryan like some gossiping teenage girl.

Wow this guy is something. I never thought Harvey was attracted to this kind of guy. Harvey’s this teddy bear big brother type and no one can really tell he’s gay. Then there’s Ryan who by the looks and sounds of it is . . . flaming gay. His hair is neatly combed and parted making him look clean cut compared to his brother. Even his clothing style screams gay. He’s wearing capris and a button up shirt with a really nice man purse. He’s actually pretty cute!

“Ooooh this is good,” adds Harvey bringing me back from my thoughts.

“You son of a pumpkin scone!” I yell and throw scones at Harvey for deceiving me twice.

“You never would have gone near him if I hadn’t tricked you! And don’t act like a victim you obviously enjoyed Zack’s company,” he laughs and dodges all the scones.

“I thought he was gay!” I yell and continue to throw cookies at Harvey.

“Yeah sure that’s why you sucked on his face because you know gay guys kiss girls,” teases Harvey.

After a couple more minutes of teasing and throwing foods at Harvey I finally run out and give up. I plop back down on the chair and slam my forehead on the table several times. How could I be so stupid?

“So are you one of those girls that are into gay guys?” asks Ryan trying to hide the fact that he’s completely weirded out by the thought of that.

I’ve heard of those girls. They are really into gay guys and like watching them . . . do stuff. The thought makes me cringe.

“No! I just I thought he was gay and then realized he wasn’t when he kissed me,” I mumble face down into the table.

“By the way I’m Ryan. Cute shirt,” he says changing the subject.

“Thanks it’s for a job interview,” I explain.

“Oh you mean the one I—

“We’ll talk about that later,” interrupts Harvey with a sneaky look on his face. “So your brother was in a good mood after that?”

“Oh yeah,” smiles Ryan.

I don’t even know why he would be I mean I called him gay and ran off. How could that make any guy happy? Freaking weirdo.

“Hmm you must have done pretty good job then Abby,” Harvey teases. I feel my face get super hot.

“You two should go out on a date!” exclaims Ryan.

“No, now if you’ll excuse me I have an interview to get to,” I respond annoyed and ready to punch Harvey. I need to keep my mind off things. It’s a good thing I have a job interview. That’ll surely help.

Ryan tags along with Harvey and I because while I’m getting interviewed the two of them are going to make out somewhere. They drop me off and Harvey says he’d come back in thirty minutes. I enter the building and there are maps of the area everywhere. The lady at the front desk escorts me up stairs and I wait around with others outside a door to be interviewed. Apparently, they’ll be hiring right on the spot so I‘ll know right after the interview whether or not I get it.

When it’s finally my turn I step into the room and am greeted by two big guys and a woman. I’m about to sit down and be interviewed until someone walks in.

And that someone just so happens to be . . . Zack of course.

I think back to what Ryan was about to tell me about the job interview before Harvey stopped him.

‘You mean the one I . . . got you by asking my brother if he was looking for new people.’

Well played Harvey well played damn it! Three strikes and you’re out Agent Abigail. You are obviously not fit to be an agent since your best friend has tricked you so many times already. You can drop your badge off back at headquarters.

“Sorry I’m late,” he says and shakes my hand as if we haven’t met before. As if he didn’t kiss me a couple nights before. Man he’s good at hiding it whereas I’m obviously turning tomato red right now.

Each of them take turns asking me questions about my past work experience. I can’t help but avoid eye contact with Zack. Every time I make eye contact I get all red and stutter like an idiot. I just listen to him and look at everyone else but him.

So the job entails that I hike up into the deep maintains and help build trails. I’ll even have to go backpacking which means I have to take a class on it before. I tell them I don’t mind because I’m willing to learn. They really like me and surprise surprise once the interview is over they hire me on the spot.

Well looks like I’ll be working for Zack four days a week for ten hours.

The moment I see Harvey he laughs at me because he already knows what happened.

“I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!” I say as I get into the car.

“I take it you got the job. You’ll thank me eventually,” he says. I bet he’s already planning to sabotage our maps so that I can get lost out there with Zack and his crew.

“Shit,” says Ryan when he realizes I got hired.

“What now?” I ask ready to have him say that he forgot to give something to his brother and send me in to go give it to him. Or better yet I wouldn’t be surprised if they just dropped me off to get a haircut at the same place Zack does and at the same time he has an appointment.

“Oh no you work for him now,” says Ryan which surprises me. I thought he would be throwing a party to which he’d invite his brother to and strategically lock us in a closet or something creepy like that.

“Oh right,” adds Harvey.

“Which means he’s your boss now. Crap, he’ll never agree to go on a date with you now,” says Ryan.

“Shit! We didn’t think that one through damn it,” complains Harvey.

I can’t help but laugh at them. Their attempt to get me to date Zack completely back fired. My boss or not I would not have agreed to date him anyways.

“I don’t understand why you’re so happy about this Abby. You know it means you won’t have the chance to make out with him anymore. I bet there are plenty of girls out there that would love to jump his balls and you’re happy to give them up,” says Harvey.

I immediately picture Zack with a large bag full of soccer balls and a crowd of girls running toward him. They tackle the bag and get into a crazy fight over the soccer balls. Not exactly what Harvey meant by jump his balls but that's what I see.

“Now Zack will return to being his usual serious self. Goddamn it!” says Ryan and he slightly bangs his head against the window.

The thought of even dating Zack freaks me out. I don’t know what kind of a person he is and I don’t know if he can be trusted. I don’t know anything about this guy now I have to work with him out in the middle of nowhere. I already embarrassed myself in front of him once now I have to do it for the rest of the summer. Well at least he’ll see how much of a fool I really am. That’ll get him off my back for sure.

Looks like you’ve got a long summer ahead of you . . . Ranger Abby.
♠ ♠ ♠
I worked making trails last summer and I thought it would be interesting to throw Abby into a setting like that. Speaking of trails, I should get out of my house more often since it's real nice outside now. I'll be updating once or twice a week from now on.

Oh and thanks for all the comments! I appreciate them so much! Thanks for reading everyone.