‹ Prequel: Everlasting Love
Status: Complete

Heartbeat

Chapter 2

~Five Days Later~


Brian shifted a bit, wrapping his arm a bit tighter around a petite waist that belonged to Michelle bringing her closer to his warm body. He was careful not to grip too tight because of how weak Michelle has become with the treatment for her heart. Brian only woke a bit before going back to sleep with Michelle in his arms. A beeping sound startled Brian from his sleep, groggily looking around Brian noticed that it either of their phones because they both has customs ringtones for their cells and it was obviously the house phone because it would louder and muffled since it was in the dining room. Moving careful he looked around the room until his eyes fell on the little black beeper in the night stand on Michelle side, moving with the beeping sound. It didn’t register at first in Brian’s mind but the more he stared at the beeper a bit more until realization snapped him wide awake.

“Babe, wake up!” Brian gently shook Michelle, rousing her from her sleep. “Come on the beeper is going off!”

Michelle quickly opened her eyes and starred into Brian’s excited ones. She turned her head to see the black beeper on the nightstand moving. When Michelle was put on the transplant list, they issued her a beeper that would inform her that a heart came valuable to her, meaning that she had to go through surgery right away or else the heart won’t last that long. Tears glisten as she watched the beeper continue to go off, finally after wait for three years Michelle was going to get a new heart transplant that could extend her life longer.

Brian carefully unwinds his arms from Michelle and began to get ready while Michelle laid there in shock. Brian cursed as he tried to find a clean shirt one that didn’t smell like day old sweat. He grabbed the black v collared shirt off the shelf and yanked it on. He grabbed his cell began dialing the hospital to find out more about what will happen next. Michelle slowly got up from the bed despite the dizziness, she knew she had start getting ready because she could hear Brian talking to one of the doctors but she knew from what she was told before that once the beeper goes, she needs to report to hospital right away. Discarding her night clothes, began to get ready while Brian finished talking to the hospital and started to call everyone about the great news.

Twenty minutes later, both Michelle and Brian were in his car and on their way to the hospital. Before they left, the hospital called and informed Brian that the surgery is prepped and Michelle just needed to be readied. All in all the surgery was going to take six hours so Brian made sure to pack some comfortable clothes he could slip into if he did get uncomfortable waiting.

“Is everyone going to be there?” Michelle asked.

“I did but the only person I couldn’t get a hold of was Emily so I just left voicemail. I hope she gets it soon.” Brian said while keeping his eyes on the road and on the lookout for any police that could be on patrol.

“I’m sure that’ll she be there, she’s probably busy with shelter or maybe she’s at the hospital already but she’s doing her rounds.” Michelle grabbed his unoccupied hand and squeezed it, reassuring Brian.

Brian gave her a weak smile, still uneasy about Emily not answering his calls. Once they arrived at the hospital, a few nurses guided Michelle to another room to change into in the hospital gown while Brian kept checking his phone to see if Emily texted him. Seeing no new messages Brian shoved his phone into his pocket. The sound of hurried footsteps caught his attention, turning to his left; Brian looked down the hall to see Matt and Val rushing toward him. Straightening his shoulders, Brian went to meet them halfway though he didn’t expect Val to throw herself at him. Brian was able to withstand her weight so they didn’t end up on the floor.

“Is it true? Did they find a heart for Michelle?” Val asked desperately.

“Fuck yeah; they’re getting her ready for surgery now. Hey have any of you heard from Emily? I tried calling her but she hasn’t been answering any of my calls or my texts.” Brian was going to be stressed if he didn’t get anything on Emily, the one person he needed isn’t here.

“I talked to her two days ago; she said she needed to go down to Long Beach because one of the shelters had a break-in the other night. But she said would call if anything come up but we haven’t heard anything from her since then.” Matt said as he and Brian did their handshake and half hug.

Before they could continue their conversation, Michelle was brought back in on a wheel chair wearing one of the hospital gowns while a nurse pushed her toward them. Val immediately rushed toward her twin sister and brought her into a hug careful not put any pressure on her fragile body. Brian and Matt made their way to the twins, putting the subject about Emily on hold so they wouldn’t have to worry Michelle.

“Did you guys just get here?” questioned Michelle as she detached herself from her twin sister. Val nodded her head, keeping her hand connected to Michelle’s. Val noticed the uneasiness on Michelle’s face. “Are you alright Chelle?”

“I’m a little nervous, you hear heart transplant going okay in the beginning but then something happens and the patients dies in the end. Yeah I’m pretty nervous and scared as hell.” Michelle’s voice cracked a bit toward the end.

Brian moved and kneeled in front of Michelle, grabbed her hands in his large ones. The nurse had already dismissed herself not wanting to intrude on family business, both Val and Matt moved away to give Brian and Michelle space. “Hey look at me.” Michelle moved her gaze to look directly in Brian’s brown eyes that enamored her since the moment they met.

“You are getting heart transplant that will save your life. You won’t have to worry about overworking yourself and living in fear that you could lose consciousness when you do the simplest things. I’ll be waiting for you once you get out and we can star living the life we had planned so long ago.” Brian moved his hands until they rested around her slightly sullen face.

Brian took the time to take in Michelle’s features. Her lips lost the pink lush, her cheeks hollowed out a bit, there were noticeable black circles around her eyes due to the treatments she took weekly to help her weak heart function more. Tears gathered in Michelle’s eyes as she continued to stare at Brian with new found love and adoration.

“Excuse me, sir.” Both Brian and Michelle turned to see the same nurse that pushed the wheelchair approached them both. “They’re ready for you now Ms. Dibenedetto.”

Brian gave Michelle a kiss on her lips and then one on her forehead, promising that he would see after the surgery. “If you follow me Miss and Mr. Haner you can wait in the waiting room. Once the surgery is done the main doctor on call will inform you at once.”

Brian nodded and watched as Michelle was wheeled away to the operating room, sending her kiss her way when she looked back before she disappeared behind the double doors. Brian let out the air he was holding in, his nerves were on end with the surgery that’s about to take place and that Emily wasn’t there yet. By the time he got to the waiting lounge, almost everyone had arrived but the one person that Brian needed wasn’t there and that was getting him upset.

But for now Brian pushed that anger back because he needs to focus on Michelle because she is getting a new heart that could extend her life to years instead of months. Brian didn’t notice that he dozed off on one of the very uncomfortable chairs that were provided by the hospital until Papa Gates shook him awake. His back popped as she straightens which caused him to grimace but when he saw the doctor walking his way, he immediately stood up. Anxiety fills his entire body as the doctor approach him, it felt like thirty minutes passed by the time the surgeon got to him. Brian held his breathe as the doctor got closer, scared with what he will tell him.

“Is she okay?” The words immediately fell from Brian mouth before the doctor could say anything. “Did something happen? Is she alright?”

“Calm down, everything went smoothly with Ms. Dibenedetto. Her body accepted the new heart and she is down in the ICU right now. She’ll stay there for a few nights to make sure that her new heart keeps the steady beat and after a few nights in the ICU, she’ll be moved to one of the private rooms upstairs.” The doctor had a smile on his face because he wouldn’t be giving them unhappy news and he gave another human being a chance to life their life the way they want. “You may visit her but she’ll be asleep until the drugs go through her system.”

The air that Brian and everyone around that were holding in just rushed out when they got the news that Michelle’s surgery went fine. Tears fell from the girls as the guys gave each other man hugs. The air was one of joy and relief, hearing that Michelle’s body accepted the new organ was great news. But sometimes life can twist a moment of true happiness to one of great agony, it changes the course of fate of one person whether they are ready or not.

Brian noticed Zacky walking toward him, the only person that wasn’t there when they got the news. Parting from his friends and family, Brian rushed over to Zacky engulfing him a hug that Zacky only returned half heartily. “She made it through the surgery; she’s going to be alright, Zack!”

“That’s awesome news.” The enthusiasm that everyone seemed to share didn’t reach Zacky at all. Noticing this, Brian’s anger flared up because after years of seeing the woman he loves finally gets a second chance at life and Zacky doesn’t give much of happiness.

“What the fuck is wrong Zack? My girlfriend gets another chance at life and all you fucking do is just say ‘That’s awesome news’?” Zacky flinched at Brian’s words, his emerald eyes darted to the left in shame and another emotion that Brian couldn’t put his finger one.

“There something you should know.” Once the words left Zacky’s mouth, the anger that was evident on Brian’s face slowly began to disappear as dread filled his body.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just one more chapter!!!! Thank you for reading!