The Star Project

Chapter 3: Finding a Home

"Let's get you boys moved in to the Palm Woods... You do have a parent with you, right?" Otherwise I have no obligation to set up their living arrangements for them, since they're all minors. I read all this legalistic stuff a while ago, when I first realized what Gustavo did. I wanted to educated myself because running a record company seemed like a cake walk and I always harbored anger because he should still have time for me. But after reading up I found out... It's not.

Also, right after realizing these boys were the next big thing, I made a pit stop to see Kelly and find out my next step. I have no idea what I'm doing. I wanted her to come help me and she said she would as soon as Gustavo wasn't in such a fragile emotional state and they were absolutely sure he was safe from the gangbangers. But she gave me all the paperwork signing Rocque Records over to me and gave me pointers, starting with the Palm Woods. Meanwhile, since they basically got evicted from Rocque Records, she said she's going to look for a new-cheaper-location and set up the office then text me with the information.

They all glance at each other and I take this to mean they don't have an adult here. Not that I'm not a minor, but everything I'm doing is with permission from my sperm donor-I mean father.

"My mom is coming," the blonde one, Kendall says, and it sounds like a lie.

"Right," the brunette, Logan speaks up. He seems the most level headed and sincere out of all of them, so I think maybe they're not lying after all. "Mrs. Knight will come. We just thought James would be the only one..."

I blow out a breath. "Okay. Great." There's a big difference in is coming and will come. We'll just have to over-exaggerate the truth a little. "Well, let's go in. And let me do ALL of the talking."

The Palm Woods is a very nice place where all young stars live until they become huge and/or old enough to live on their own. Some of them do live here by themselves, but if they're minors they somehow lied their way in. Which is what we're about to do. Temporarily, of course.

We walk through the front doors, and the boys all look around open-mouthed as if they've never seen any place this swanky before. Which, compared to most places that house celebrities, as nice as the Palm Woods is, it's cheap. I roll my eyes at them. "Could you please not act like you're fresh off the boat?"

I go up to the front desk with the boys in tow. Carlos, as adorable as he is, is side tracked and now staring open-mouthed at females instead of the place itself; there's a group of three snooty girls in sunglasses strutting around like they're all that, and he is smitten. He taps James on the shoulder while still staring at them, and James turns up his "charm" (most girls may find his cockiness charming, I, however, find it more annoying than anything. He's got the looks, if he wasn't so conceited about himself. He would be perfect for any one of those three girls).

"Can I help you, little girl?" The fat man behind the desk says snottily, as if he has better things to do with his time. His name plate says R. Bitters.

"Little girl? Is that-?" I start angrily, but then I get a better idea. I smirk and lean over the counter. "That's no way to address the head of Rocque Records."

The Bitters man snorts. "I've housed Gustavo Rocque's projects for years. And you are not him."

"Bitters. That's your name right?" I pull the paperwork saying I am, in fact, the new head of Rocque Records out of my bag. I lay the papers in front of them and smooth them out with one hand. "It would be a shame if the media caught wind of your... hostility." All these papers say is that I'm the producer now. No one has to know Rocque Records is basically bankrupt until we find a star Griffin, whoever that is, deems worthy.

Bitters looks down at the papers then glances back up at me. "Right. Uhhhh... sorry, ma'am." He plasters on a fake smile that makes him look constipated. "What can I do for you today?"

I gesture at the four guys with my head. "My boys need a place. They're the next big thing, and we need a big enough apartment for all four of them."

"Unfortunately," Bitters says with a fake sadness, and I glare at him. This man is not likable in any way, shape, or form, "we have no available rooms right now. I'll get back to you as soon as something opens up. Have a great Palm Woods day!"

"You have got to be freaking joking," I say angrily. Behind me I feel the boys go silent and stop scoping out the girls in this lobby, waiting for the inevitable fight. "This is the freaking Palm Woods. And you're trying to tell me there is not one single opening?"

"None that would accommodate," he looks at the boys, giving them a once over with his eyes and making a disgusted face, "them. I can check but..." He pulls out a binder from behind the counter and flips through it so fast there is no possible way he was actually reading anything. "Nope. Nothing big enough. So sorry. Seems like everyone is just dying to be a young Hollywood star these days, and all the best young stars will not stay anywhere but the famous Palm Woods." Another fake smile.

I give him yet another death glare. Then I turn around on my heel and grab two of the boys, I don't even pay attention to which, by the arms. "Come on, boys. We're going to find some place way better than the Palm Woods. Some place only the already famous stay, the best of the best." I say it loud enough for Bitters to hear. Then I drag them all out of that place.

I'm breathing heavily by the time we get out. "Also, you guys seriously need a band name..." I take out my phone and look at the information Kelly sent me. They found an office building that's pretty dilapidated, but it has a couple of rooms upstairs, one of which I'll have to take unless I want to live in a sketchy motel.

They more or less ignore me. "So where are we going to live now?" Logan asks.

I sigh. "It looks like you'll just have to stay at Rocque Records. But you'll have to chip in for groceries. I am not feeding all four of you on my own budget, not to mention we have to get enough money to pay those guys off and get the real Rocque Records building back."

"Wait, what are you talking about?" Kendall asks as they all run to catch up with me.

"Did I mention Rocque Records, the Rocque Records y'all were just camped in front of, is no more until you guys make us millions of dollars? Yeah, but don't worry. Gustavo's assistant Kelly found us a new building that has some rooms above it. I mean, there's no studio in there or anything, but we'll make do. I'm having to think one thing through at a time right now. This is a lot of pressure."

"So what exactly happened to Gustavo again?" James butts in.

"That is none of your business. I'm your manager and producer now. Look for 5th Street."

We find the two story building, and to say it's run down is an understatement.

"This... is Rocque Records?" Carlos asks incredulously. "What happened to the nice red and white building-"

"We went over that. Come on, let's go inside and find out which room y'all can have. I hope they're not too small because you might end up having to stay together..."

I am walking up to the front door when a voice comes from the side of the building. "Going somewhere, Miss Rocque?"

The dark guy with the scar on his face walks out from behind some bushes and grabs me.