‹ Prequel: Nothing Left to Prove
Status: In progress

We Learned How to Love

Three

“Stephen, you hate me why are you offering me a job? I’m too hung over to deal with this shit right now.”

“Look our tech got himself arrested last night we need you to cover merch so we can have an extra tech. I’m not doing it to help you I’m doing it for my band.” Stephen gave his cousin a dirty look not too happy about the arrangement but there was nothing else he could do. On top of that, him and Jess thought Alana could be just the person to bring Josh out of his funk, she was a little bit like his old self albeit more extreme.

“Do I have a fucking choice?”

“Well I called your mom today and she said you’re not doing anything else with your life.”

“I quit that job for a reason!”

“Look I need someone to do merch and you need a job, can you put your hate for me aside for six fucking weeks?” The bassist rubbed his temples; this conversation was a lot more difficult than it should have been for him.

“No, but I’ll do it.”

“Bitch,” Stephen muttered under his breath before walking off.

“Stephen don’t you think you should have talked it through with us first before you just hired someone?” To say Josh was surprised to see Alana climb in the van when they were ready to set off was a huge understatement.

“I phoned you this morning and told you before I did it!”

“You did? Oh…” Josh shrugged and sat in the middle row, he would have liked to climb in the back away from everyone but the back was Jess’ part of the van and was covered in God knows what.

“Four years and you’re still in the fucking van? Where’s the tour bus?” As soon as he heard Alana’s voice Josh put his head phones in, he couldn’t do six weeks of this it was going to kill him.

“You’ll learn to love it Alana, it’s homely and lived in.” John replied from the front passenger seat, Brian was driving.

“Which is band dude code for our record company is too cheap to give us a tour bus.”

“Get in the damn van Alana,” Stephen growled causing an eye roll from his cousin. She followed his orders however and took the seat next to Josh who silently groaned, what was this girl’s problem? He hated how she had such an attitude and treated his friend like shit. As much as he disliked the girl he couldn’t stop looking at her; her attire today consisted of blue cut offs with a daisy pattern and a somewhat tight white vest top, much tighter than what Jess would wear anyhow. Her eyes were less painted than the night before, a thin line of black liner swept across her top lids but her lips were still a bright red. Josh frowned when he saw the artificial wine coloured lips pull up in a smile, it was the first one he had seen her pull.

“Say whatever shit you want about Futures, I always thought it was a fucking kick ass album,” she commented ever so quietly Josh was sure he was the only one who heard even though he had music softly blowing through his ears which Alana obviously heard. At least she was a Jimmy fan; it was the only redeeming quality Josh had found so far. He only raised an eyebrow in response then rested his blonde covered head against the pane of glass behind him, sighing and closing his eyes.

“How the hell did you get eighty seven dollars in tips?” John asked with his mouth open on seeing the amount of bills and coins in the top jar which was bursting at the seams.

“I have my ways John Christopher I have my ways,” she smirked and tapped her nose with her finger, showing how chipped her red nail varnish was.

“Short changed people? Stole it?” Stephen commented, this had to be something dodgy it wouldn’t have been the first time Alana stole something.

“No Stephen, I’ll tell you but don’t steal my secret idea.” With that Alana lifted her top up to reveal a size too small black and white polka dot bikini. Josh choked on the beer he was currently drinking causing Alana to laugh as she pulled her top back down.

“That’s what this guy did too; he earned a slap from his girlfriend.” Josh rolled his eyes at Alana’s remark which was accompanied by a smirk. Josh was annoyed; who did she think she
was? God’s gift to men?

“A little unorthodox but I suppose job well done,” Stephen remarked he couldn’t help but be a little bit amused, she did a good thing getting all the tips so he found it difficult to be too mad.

“Yeah well done for practically being a stripper, your mother must be so proud,” Josh spat out drowning himself in his beer.

“At least I put a smile on your fans face which is a lot more than I can say for you frowny McGee.”

“Hey I fucking told you before you know nothing about me just leave me the hell alone you cheap little slut!”

“JOSH!” John exclaimed sticking up for his family member, even Stephen thought it was a little bit out of order.

“What is your fucking problem blondie? I’ve known for two days but you make me want to punch that miserable face of yours.” Alana walked over to Josh getting into his face, something which he hated and it only agitated him further.

“My problem is someone bursting into my bands life thinking she knows it all and parading around like some slut trying to tell me about myself,” he snapped back going slightly red in the face, partly due to anger and partly due to the alcohol.

“Well if you cracked a smile once in a while maybe I wouldn’t have to judge you. Plus you’re one to talk! Saying I’m judging you, you’re branding me a whore when you don’t even know me!”

“Well we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one won’t we? Believe me darling I know your kind I’ve met them before and you’re all the same.” Even though he used the word darling his tone indicated he didn’t mean it in a pleasant way. After a few minutes of staring at each other, Josh even letting out a small growl, he walked off making as much noise as he possibly could.