‹ Prequel: Missed Calls

Come Home

Cup of Sugar

Tiera slammed the door on Jaycee's face. On second thought it wasn't the best idea, considering it was the bride. She could hear Jaycee gasp on the other side. Sticking her ear to the door, Tiera could hear a bit of chatter. "What is wrong with her?!" Jaycee's high voice whisper/shouted. A few sighs or sounds of wonder. As the groups footsteps sounded, moving away from Tiera's room, Florence's soothing voice said, "She'll come around." Letting out a breath she didn't realize she had been holding in, Tiera slumped to the floor. Taking off her shoes and hat, she threw them across the room in frustration. "Fuuuuck me." She drawled out. Tiera felt like giving up and having the mental breakdown she knew was around the bend. He just looked so good in the red and black plaid shirt that hugged his biceps like a second skin. Tiera gave herself a tiny slap on the cheek. Finally picking herself up from the floor, she decided to do some exploring. Right smack in the middle of the room was a king size bed, some sort of canopy pinned over top. The mixed patterns in the room made her head spin, slightly. Not far from the foot of her bed was a big bath tub. Tiera grinned running her hand along the rim before continuing into the bathroom. Standard shower, toilet and sink there. A knock at the door sounded.

Toby was on the other side, smiling. "You forgot your bag downstairs." Tiera accepted her bag and invited Toby in. He took a quick look around, his gaze lingering on the bed a moment too long. An awkward silence settled in. Tiera bounced on the balls of her feet and looked anywhere but Toby's direction. "I'm just a little down the hall. Florence is right across from me. We're neighbours!" His doe-like brown eyes twinkled with excitement. Tiera laughed at his giddiness. Nodding she replied, "Well you know where to find me if you want a cup of sugar." When Toby's smile turned to a devious smirk, Tiera realized that was a minor innuendo. Backpedaling she smacked her hand against her forehead. It was just supposed to be a friendly joke. Not that friendly.

"That's not what I meant. If you're thinking the same thing I am." Toby's boisterous laugh cut the tension. Still embarrassed, Tiera let out a nervous chuckle. Deep down she wanted to give Patrick that cup of sugar. Toby walked over to the door still grinning. Happy as always. "Maybe we can rekindle that little highschool romance." He flirted with Tiera. She felt her face grow bright red. The last thing Tiera wanted to do was lead him on. Brushing that comment off she said, "Heh, yeah. See you later Toby." He turned to leave, giving her a small wave over his shoulder. A second after the door closed behind him, it whipped back open. Toby peeked his head back in. "Some of us are heading off to the beach in 15 if you wanted to come."

All she really wanted to do was soak in a hot bubble bath then take a much needed nap. Tiera felt like she needed to redeem herself for slamming the door in Jaycee's face. "Uh, yeah. I'll meet you down there." With that Toby left with another big smile.

...♆...

Tiera sat in the middle of a hen party. She layed on her towel in silence listening to the chatter. They gossiped just like in highschool. Three out of the six women talked non-stop about new relationships, who had put on a few pounds since highschool and ending relationships. Which led up to the topic of Patrick and Tiera. "You and Pat were so perfect together, Tiera." A sighs and sounds of agreement followed, Liz's, the maid of honor, comment. Tiera sat up and put her hair in a messy bun. Looking further down the beach, Patrick, Toby and Jason, the groom, chucked the football around. Tiera wrapped her slender arms around her knees and shrugged. "We both changed." More sounds of agreement. She felt herself growing more and more aggravated with the wimpy sounds. "No doubt. His little Cinco de Mayo celebration down in Madison didn't help his case either." Kasey, another bridesmaid, scoffed. Tiera got up from her towel before she had to listen to that change of topic. Walking down to the water, she walked in until the water was sloshing at her knees.

Back at the towels, all talking ceased when Kacey pointed out Patrick walking right towards Tiera. Florence held her head in her hands, not wanting to watch. "She's in trouble." Jaycee trailed off, watching in curiosity.

"What are you doin' out here by yourself?" Tiera turned to see Patrick wading out toward her. Taking a sneak at his chiseled, muscled stomach made her weak in the knees. She wanted to whine, cry and pout but she set her face to look strong. Guard the walls and load the cannons, I'm in trouble. Tiera shrugged again and replied, "Had to get away from the little tea party." She stared straight ahead at the surf. Patrick flashed her one if his big smiles but she didn't look to him. Tiera loved his smile. She loved all of his smile lines, the way his eyes lit up and the perfect set of pearly whites all exposed. It made him look more like a kid than a man. But she liked that. Tiera liked it because that's when everything was perfect. When they were both kids, not adults. "So did you find a place out in Buffalo?" After you left me. Patrick wanted to add on. He just wanted to find out if she was hurting like he was. He wanted to know if Tiera was able to pick up and move on because he couldn't.

Tiera was caught. She couldn't lie, he would just find out. "No. I, uh, found a small place in Chicago. I'm still at Loyola, teaching."

Patrick felt tricked. Stupid, even. "So let me get this straight. You've been basically hiding out? Right underneath my nose?"

"I haven't been hiding Patrick." Tiera was now looking at him. Angry and flustered. "I don't have the money to just pack up and leave like you may. I've been working my ass off to get out of the hell hole I used to call home." Throwing her hands up in the air she stomped out of the water and back to her towel. She didn't even notice she was crying. Stepping back into her jean shorts and plaid flannel, Florence helped put her things back into the leather backpack. Snatching it out of her cousins hands, Tiera spat, "Are you happy? I faced the fucking music just like you said I should." Florence looked down at her sandals. Tiera wiped away at her tears and started walking back toward the cars.

...♆...

Dinner at the restaurant was tense enough to cut it with one of the butter knives. Everyone had saw the feisty argument between Pat and Tiera. Nobody really talked but just ate and drank in awkward silence. Everybody waited for anyone but themselves to talk about something. Patrick kept looking up from his never ending glass of whiskey, to Tiera. She never glanced his way. Downing his fifth glass, Patrick called their waiter over for more. Instead she sat across the table from Toby. Whenever Tiera looked up, she met Toby's big brown eyes and a hardly-there smirk. It made her bite back a smile and tame her flaming cheeks. Some people might have found it creepy but she found it cute and teasing because there was nothing creepy about Toby. While she picked and poked at her pasta, Toby slid a napkin and pen into her view. I'm having such a blast. Was written at the top. Rolling her eyes, she picked up the pen and wrote back.

Oh yes, my conversation with the breadsticks is fantastic.

The constant smile on Toby's face grew while reading. He scribbled down a reply and sent it right back to Tiera. You look very nice tonight.

Thank you Toby. Tiera drew a small heart next to her words before handing it back.

Can I get a cup of that sugar tonight? When Tiera looked back up to see if Toby was serious, he was shaking with silent chuckles. Crumpling up the napkin into a ball she threw it at him trying not to laugh herself.

By the time everyone had finished dinner, Patrick Kane was once again drunk. It didn't surprise anyone. The other five men of the bridal party just struggled to get him up and into his room. Patrick assured them he was fine. "Just another drink!" He chanted heading toward the hotel bar. Toby just hoisted him up and onto his shoulder. Tiera sat down on one of the chairs on the front porch of the Maidstone. Closing her eyes and blew out a big breath. The clack of heels and creak of the chair beside told her someone had joined her. Opening her eyes, Tiera saw Florence sitting beside her. "I"m sorry." She said, not meeting Tiera's eyes.

"It's not your fault." Tiera sighed. "I was angry at Pat and you were just in the line of fire. So I'm sorry for blowing up at you." Florence just nodded still feeling a little guilty. Getting up from her chair, she held out a hand for her cousin. "Time for bed."

After dropping Florence off at her room, Tiera turned the corner heading towards her own room. Beside her door was a slumped over mop of blonde hair. When Patrick heard her coming down the hallway, he stumbled up and onto his feet. Tiera watched him sway before having to catch him from falling over. With a grunt he landed in her arms. Barely able to keep him up, she balanced him up against the wall. "Goddamn Pat, can't you take care of yourself for once?" Tiera dragged him in her room and sat him down on the wicker rocking chair. Waiting for an answer, he stared up at her with his big blue eyes. Intoxication made his eyes look glassy. "I miss you." He whispered, reaching up for her.

Tiera stepped back and sat down on her bed. Her heart beat thudded in her ears so hard it her head. She felt like crying, yelling and the urge to kiss Patrick all at the same time. "Nope, you're drunk. C'mon you're not staying here." Tiera got up from the bed and tried to grab Pat underneath the arms. He struggled out of her grasp and ran to the other side of the room. "Patrick please just leave." She plead, desperate. If he stayed, there was no telling what could happen. Tiera wanted him to sober. She wanted to talk this out in the morning. Patrick Kane wasn't having any of that.

"No. I miss you, Tiera. Everyday I come home to an empty apartment, I miss you. When I go on road trips, I miss you. When I go to bed at night all I think about is you!" He sounded almost sober. On the other side of the bed, Tiera felt her heart tug and pull with pain. She knew how he felt because she missed him too. But she kept her mouth shut. "It doesn't feel right without you anymore. It won't feel right with any other girl but you. When I see how Toby can make you smile and laugh, that isn't right. It's not right because he could never love you as much as I do. I lost you Tiera but I'd like to think that I can find you again." By now Tiera was almost sobbing. Her breathing came out in fast, shallow pants. Patrick was going to split her in two with his words. He stared her down knowing she felt the same way. Pat looked back on all the things he had done and wanted to cry himself. He had wrecked her beyond compare. It was not fair to her that now after it was all said and done, he was owning up to it.

"I got scared Tiera. That's why I did all the cheating and drinking. I know that's no excuse but I've come to realize that nothing could ever fill the void in my life that you left behind. I didn't mean to ruin everything."
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, sentimental drunk Patrick Kane for ya! Sorry life's been in the way lately and I haven't got around to this. But thank you for the comment, subs and recs :) keep it coming? Much appreciated!