Dreams After Dark

Calling Out Her Name

Many years ago, a child lay sleeping in her bed. She had just drifted off into a dreamless sleep, when she heard her mother calling her name from the kitchen.

"Angie. Angie, come here baby." Her mother called quietly.

Angie slowly got up from her bed, feeling groggy from being awakened from sleep. She slipped on her slippers and headed downstairs. She stood at the top of the staircase in confusion. There were no lights coming from the kitchen.

She heard the voice of her mother calling her from the kitchen again.

"Angie, sweetheart. Come here." The voice cooed.

Angie shrugged off the slight fright that had come over her and continued walking down the stairs. She got to the bottom of the staircase and turned. Her house was a little older than most houses on her block, so it had one of those cupboards under the staircase. And the kitchen was in the direction of the cupboard.

Angie had walked silently to the cupboard door and had nearly passed it, when suddenly the door had opened up and a hand shot out from the darkness and dragged her in. Another hand came around her mouth and muffled her scream.

Angie then realized that her mother was hiding in the closet and immediately stopped the screaming.

"Don't go into the kitchen," her mother whispered next to her ear. " I heard it calling my name too."
♠ ♠ ♠
I realize this is incredibly short, but I derived this from something with only three sentences. So just bare the shortness. I know I should make the chapters a bit longer, but with this one it would have seemed wrong to add anything else, when what little bit I had derived it from gave me chills.