Living in Everyday Combat.

Bury him for 90 years, then see if he talks.

Aled laughed again, folding his arms across his chest as Ian looked at Sean, horror filling his already tear-filled eyes.

"S-Sean? You're joking right?" Ian stuttered, but he could already see that Sean wasn't joking. Sean shook his head slowly, then looked at Aled and Scarlett. Scarlett was stood, pinching the bridge of her nose. She elbowed Aled in the stomach harshly, cutting off his laughter.

"Alright, alright! that was uncalled for!" Aled wheezed, holding his stomach where Scarlett's elbow had come in contact with his torso.

"Aled, you were meant to keep them silent, not dislodge his fucking memory, you fuckin' eejit!" She pushed him forcefully, anger crossing her face. "You knew we needed him, now he's useless to us!" She shouted at him, jabbing him in the chest with her index finger. "Jeez."

She walked over to Sean, shaking her head with dismay. Slowly, she bent over and untied his hands, nimble fingers pulling at the rope that bound him. "Scar?!" Aled exclaimed loudly, the Welsh in his voice breaking through completely.

"Oh, shut up Al. He's useless. Take him Oli and Val, they'll get more out of him than I can." She shoved Sean, who could do nothing more than get to his feet. He stumbled forwards, flexing his wrists slightly, sore from the tight bounds. Aled wasted no time, and gripped him by the scruff, dragging him towards the door. Ian writhed, watching from where he was stuck. "But this one.. No, I think I can work my magic on him." Scarlett cooed in his ear, running her talon-like nails alone his collarbone.

Aled smirked and pulled Sean out of the room, slamming the door behind them. Ian stopped fighting the ropes and listened. He could hear the sound of a palm hitting a face, and then he heard Sean screech. Scarlett's nails dug into Ian's shoulder, and he yelped, an almost mimic of Sean's panic audible in his own.

"Now then, are you gonna keep fighting us off, or are you gonna co-operate?" She said, her voice dripping with persuasion, trying to coax him into talking. Ian stared at her defiantly, pressing his lips together into a firm line as she walked to stand infront of him. "C'mon now, don't be a fool."

"What do you want with us?" Ian snapped. "Why are you taking us hostage?" He almost shouted.

"Calm down. Seems I've caught the feistier one of the pair. What's your name, good lookin'?"

"Ian." He spat at her feet and she frowned.

"Oi, no need for that. I'm just doing my job, okay? If I don't, I don't get paid, okay? Jesus. I'm just trying to survive, just like you." Scarlett slumped down into Sean's chair, pinching the bridge of her nose. "I don't enjoy doing this, y'know?" The arrogant façade faded, and she became withdrawn as she sunk into the chair.

"Doing what?"

"Kidnapping people. Being shitty to them, when they don't deserve it. You've obviously had a tough time." She sighed quietly, folding her hands in her lap and looking down.

"Then why..?"

"I work for the American Government. I'm sure you've heard of operation Shut Down, yes?" Ian nodded once when she glanced up. "Well, they decided that it wasn't moving fast enough. So they put a group of people in place, a group in every other town. We wait until the people here come across us, then we play the nice guys card, then bring them here. Then we're supposed to wheedle out the weak from strong. The strong, we keep alive and when the time is right, they get shipped out to America. The weaker, well.. You're only one pair in a long line of survivors, to us."

Ian groaned softly. A super-race. That's what America were building. A homeland filled with only the best of the best. Like natural selection, only accelerated.

"How, exactly, do you decide between the strong and the weak?"

"We test them. Physically and mentally. Oh and, your little friend has just failed the mental side of things." Ian's eyes widened again.

"What are they gonna do to him?"

"I don't know. I don't get involved with that side of things, for a reason." Her voice quavered slightly and she looked down again, fumbling with the hem of her shirt.

"Please let me go get him. Help me, please, I'm begging of you. He's the only person I've got." Scarlett looked at him. She could see the sincerity in his eyes, hear the pleading in his voice.

"How do I know you wont attack me?"

"Because I need to go rescue him! Regardless of whether he knows who I am or not, he's still the closest person to me. He's stuck by me, through all the bad things, and the good. I can't give up on him now. I.. I love him. I've got to make him remember. I can't just.. Please." Ian stopped babbling with one final plea.

She frowned slightly, biting at her lip. "Okay." She gave in, holding her hands up in surrender. "But if anyone asks, I didn't do it." She reached over and pulled at the rope, and with one swift tug, Ian was freed. He jumped to his feet, staggering forward with the sudden altitude. His back clicked loudly and he winced, then turned around.

"Thank you." Scarlett glanced up at him, giving a slight wave of her hand.

"Yeah, sure, whatever. Just go already."

He bolted it from the room, pushing the door open with all the force he could muster. He didn't have a clue where he was going, or what he was looking for all, all he knew was that he had to find Sean, and fast. He tripped over his own feet, multiple times, before coming to a door. He could hear muffled voices and he didn't hesitate as he pushed down on the door handle, slamming his shoulder against the door.

He had to stifle his scream with his hand upon seeing the sight before him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit - The Nightmare Before Christmas OST - Kidnap The Sandy Claws.

I'm not really sure why I'm painting America as the bad guys, but that seems to be the way it's going. Uh, sorry if I offend anyone...? Ooops.