He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

1/1

I would probably get fired to defiling company property but Miles wasn't getting the hint. The second time he came into the store, I made a big production of fishing my can of dark green spray paint from my bag and spray painting the Starbucks Coffee sign behind me so that it said "FUCK OFF." My goal was reached when he didn't come into the store for the rest of the night. Of course, one of the customers complained to my manager and I was fired on the spot.

"Jen, your reckless behavior is unacceptable," Gil said. "Please turn in your apron and visor and leave the premises quietly."

I couldn't deny it and I didn't want to fight for my job. In fact, I was glad to be let go. It was only minimum wage. I gathered my things from the back and made a quiet exit. Much to my chagrin, Miles was waiting for me outside. The dummy wore nothing but a flannel shirt, jeans, and the same old leather boots his father had worn in high school even though there was a foot of snow on the ground and it didn't seem to be letting up.

"Didn't I tell you to beat it?" I asked, wrapping my scarf around my neck.

His teeth chattered as he spoke. "Yeah but since when do I listen to a thing you say?"

"Well, pardon my eye roll but I have better things to do than to fight with you out here in the snow."

I shoved by him but he reached out to grab my arm and pulled me back against him. I could feel him shaking as he held my back to his front. He worked his nose into the crook of my neck, trying to find warmth in my scarf. When he spoke it was muffled.

"I'm so sorry Jen."

I pulled away from him. I couldn't think straight when I could smell his shampoo or feel his arms around me. He looked so pathetic shivering in the cold and I wanted nothing more than to toss him in my car, take him home, and make love to him in front of a fire.

"But you said you didn't love me anymore. Isn't that right? You broke up with me remember?"

He shook his head. "I was stupid Jen... I was scared. You never stop loving someone. Either you always did or you never will and Jen, I have always loved you."

"Prove it."

He stepped closer to me. "I would right this second but I can't really feel my body... If you give me the chance, I'll prove it to you every single day for the rest of our lives."

Tears welled in my eyes and I let my guard down. Miles took his chance and pulled me in for a kiss. His face was cold against mine but there was a fire starting up inside of me and I wiling to take Miles back; he'd keep the fire going.
♠ ♠ ♠
word count 503
for this contest.