Status: Completed 6/19/2012

Forget Your Mistakes

There's Nothing Left to Hide

Needless to say, it wasn’t really what any of us were expecting. Ryan and Rebekah basically flew down the stairs, and Rebekah squeaked when she saw my mom, “Shit..”

My mother yelled, “Leah, what the hell do you think you’re doing here? You were supposed to come straight home when you got off that plane!” “I did,” I replied confidently, “Wait.. How did you know I came home today..?” “Oh, you don’t need to worry about that. You’re coming with me.”

“No!” Jamie and I both yelled at the same time, but I continued, “I’m not going back to that hell hole!” “Excuse me?” I could tell my mother wasn’t having any of it, and my arguing with her certainly didn’t make the situation any better. But I wasn’t going anywhere with her, I was sure about that.

“You heard me. I’m not going back. I’m never going back. I hate it there. You made my life a living hell. You didn’t give a fuck when I left a year ago, and I know you don’t give a fuck now.” Everyone looked at me, obviously in complete shock I actually said that.

“You still belong to me. I can do whatever the fuck I want with you.” Jamie held onto me tighter as I kept going, “I emancipated myself the day I moved to New York and got my job. I don’t belong to anybody but myself.” “Not if I have anything to say about it,” my mom replied, stepping into the apartment and grabbing my arm.

That was when all hell broke loose. I screamed and Jamie pulled me back away from her. Nash pushed her out of the apartment, and Ian slammed the door and locked it as fast as he could. We could hear my mother still yelling outside and hitting the door, so Jamie pulled my into our room and told me I had to call 911.

I’m not going to lie, I was a little reluctant at first, I mean, she is my mom after all. But after everything that’s happened with her, I knew I had to do it.

I dialed and the operator picked up, “911. What’s your emergency?” I immediately told her my address and continued, “My mom keeps slamming on the door and yelling and I don’t know what to do.” “I need you to slow down and take a breath for me, okay? Why is your mother doing this?” I calmed down as best as I could and told her exactly what had happened. “Alright, we’ve got police on the way, but I need you stay on the line with me until they get there.” I breathed deeply, crashing myself into Jamie, “Okay.”

Once police got there, I was able to hang up the phone and talk to the police as they took my mom away. She gave me a glare as they put her in the car and I knew this wasn’t over, but it was for now and I still had Jamie, so that was all that mattered to me in that moment.

One of the officers walked up to me and asked if he could ask me some questions, which I was happy to answer anything that needed to be answered. I held Jamie’s hand the whole time as what I was guessing was some form of comfort.

The officer asked for my name and all that jazz, and I happily complied. “So, why exactly was your mother doing this?” he asked. “I’m guessing it was because she was mad she found out I emancipated myself last fall and I no longer ‘belonged’ to her,” I replied. “And why did you do this?” “She was causing too much stress in my life. When I moved, I didn’t want to have to worry about anything. So I got a job and was able to prove I could financially support myself and I was legally emancipated.” “Alright, good. Where are you living?” “At the moment, I’m living here. I will be for a few months until I leave for school in New York again.” “Will you be getting a job here as well?” “Yes. I plan to start looking for one in a couple days.” “Okay, well, thank you Miss Davis. If anything comes up or we have anymore questions, we’ll give you a call. Have a good afternoon,” the officer smiled walking back to his car, and drove away.

I let out a deep breath and Jamie hugged me, “I’m so proud of you, babe.” “Why?” “I don’t think many people would be able to call the police on their parents.” “Believe me, when you’ve lived with that all your life, it’d really be no trouble at all.” I smiled and kissed him.

“Come on,” I yelled randomly, jumping up from the step Jamie and I were sitting on and pulled on his hand, “I’m hungry!” Jamie laughed and we went back inside. “Who wants pizza?” he yelled. All that could be heard throughout the apartment was a chorus of ‘ME!!’s.