Status: Completed 6/19/2012

Forget Your Mistakes

I've Gotta Keep You With Me

Four months later, I found myself living with Ryan and Jamie. I’m not gonna lie, living with guys kinda sucks. Being the only somewhat organized person in this apartment is tough sometimes. I do have to give them some credit though. They have learned to actually throw things away instead of leaving their trash wherever. True, it took about two months, but they learned!

It was bittersweet, though. Although I was looking forward to seeing what would happen in New York, those feelings were there before I found out Jamie loved me back. I would have forgotten I was leaving tomorrow had Jamie not reminded me. It was a pretty sad day for all of us, Rebekah included. And even though she was excited for New York as well, she could tell today wasn’t going to be easy for me nor Jamie.

“I promise I will call you every single day, no matter how much or how little time I have.” Jamie told me, pulling me into a hug. Hot Chelle Rae had become huge in the past few months, and Tonight Tonight was going on its third week at #1. “Jamie,” I said, hugging him back, “we swore no sappy shit until we get to the airport tomorrow morning.” I looked at him and he smiled, “Right, of course.” “So, what do you pretty ladies want to do today?” Ryan asked, trying to lighten the mood. “Oh, well, I was hoping to just spend the day with Jamie,” I smiled sheepishly. “But, you and Rebekah could hang out if you wanted,” I offered, winking at Rebekah. “Really, now?” Ryan smirked as Rebekah elbowed my side, blushing like crazy. “Well,” Ryan laughed, throwing his arm around her shoulder and pulling her away from Jamie and I, “It’s your lucky day, because I am the greatest guy to hang out with in the history of forever.” I laughed as she turned around and glared at me, “You’ll thank me for this later!”

Jamie grabbed my hand and started pulling me down the street. “Whoa there, buddy. What are we doing?” “You’ll see,” he smirked. “I hate when you do that. It makes me think you’re going to take me to an alley and try to have your way with me or something.” “Oh, you’d like it and you know it.” “Maybe, but wouldn’t it be more logical to go to your bedroom? You know, somewhere more comfortable?” I laughed. “Trust me, babe. You’ll love this way more.” “Oh, more than seeing you shirtless? Well, then. I can’t wait to see what it is.” He laughed sarcastically, “Just hush and close your eyes.” “I’m not sure whether you’re aware of this or not, but if I close my eyes, I won’t be able to see where I’m going.” “Fine,” Jamie stopped, “hop on.” “In the middle of the street, Jamie? Really?!” I yelled, trying my best to act offended. “You know what I mean, Alex.” he laughed. I smiled at him and hopped on his back, wrapping my legs around his waist and closed my eyes, burying my face into his neck. “Eyes closed?” he asked after about 5 minutes. “Eyes closed, sir!” I saluted. He stopped walking and told me to hop off, but to keep my eyes closed.

He grabbed me and pulled me in front of him, putting his hands on my waist and started walking again. A couple minutes later, he stopped me and told me to open my eyes. Once my eyes were open, I thought I was going to start bawling. He had led me to our spot under my favorite tree in the park, where there was a blanket set up and a guitar laying in the grass. “Jamie…” I said, pressing my hand over my mouth. “Surprise.” We sat down on the blanket and he picked up the guitar. “I didn’t know you played guitar.” He smiled, “Well, I just learned a couple months ago. I made Ryan teach me so I could play you a song.” “Well, play it!” I almost yelled. Jamie laughed and started playing, “I just want to warn you, you’ll probably cry and love me more after this.” “Jamie, I don’t know if I could love you any more than I already do.” I leaned over and kissed him, and he smiled and started singing.

“I gotta keep you with me.
Oh, oh.
Oh, oh, oh.

Catch my flight, 6am.
Gonna be gone till who knows when.
Here I go.

I squeeze you tight one last time.
Use my shirt to dry your eyes.
Gotta let go.

When I’m gone, all the nights are so long.
We’ve gotta hold on, on, on.

Days go by, and yeah, I’ve always got you on my mind, oh.
Cause I keep you with me.
Say your name, I can’t touch you but it feels the same, oh.
I gotta keep you with me.

Oh, oh.
Oh, oh, oh.

I still smell like your perfume.
Damn, I wish you were in this room.
In my bed.

I toss and turn as I try to dream.
Our love plays out like a movie scene.
In my head.

Oh, yeah.

Days go by, and yeah, I’ve always got you on my mind, oh.
Cause I keep you with me.
Say your name, I can’t touch you but it feels the same, oh.
I gotta keep you with me.

Oh, oh. Oh, oh, oh.

When I’m gone, all the nights are so long.
We’ve gotta hold on, on, on.

Catch my flight, 6am.
One last stop and I’m home again.
Here I go.

Days go by, and yeah, I’ve always got you on my mind, oh.
Cause I keep you with me.
Say your name, I can’t touch you but it feels the same, oh.
I gotta keep you with me.

Days go by, and yeah, I’ve always got you on my mind, oh.
Cause I keep you with me.
Say your name, I can’t touch you but it feels the same, oh.
I gotta keep you with me.

Oh, oh.
Oh, oh, oh.”

He stopped playing after a few more chords, and looked at me. I couldn’t handle it anymore. I just let the tears flow and hugged him. At that moment, all I could think was, ‘Damn, I’m gonna miss this boy.’ And that was when it hit me. ‘I’m leaving to a completely different life tomorrow, and I don’t know how I’m going to do it without him.’