To Kill a Mockingjay

002;

It was almost dawn again, Peeta was awake with me; he had his arms wrapped around me as I lay on his chest, listening to his heart beat. His fingertips traced patterns over my arms and shoulders, it was nice. "Haymitch came over last night, real or not real?" He whispered. I looked up at him, I said real. He smiled sheepishly in relief. Peeta sat up then with me still in his arms, his eyes locked with mine.

"I want to go with you," He said softly. I chewed on my bottom lip.

"Peeta-" I started but he cut me off.

"Katniss, please. I'm fine. I can do this. I want to be there with you in the woods, I want to be able to enjoy it just like you do." He begged. I sighed, looking back on our first Games together. He was so noisey, but that wasn't his fault. "Fine. We can pack some lunch and enjoy it together. I promised. He leaned in, pecking my lips lightly. He got up, his skin moved with him, letting it show his bones and stretched out muscles. I got up as well, letting the sunlight kiss my skin.

We showered together, letting our warmth combined with the water, letting ourselves let go. Peeta's hands stroked up and down my body; the suds covered me in delight. After that we both got dressed; I got into beige, skin tight, pair of jeans with my hiking boots, and another white t-shirt with my black coat. Peeta dressed accordingly but with regular jeans a white and red baseball t-shirt, a gift from Gale when he was at the Capitol. I grabbed his flannel-like coat and we were off with the food in a basket to the woods.

It took us an hour to find a spot that was appropriate for Peeta, I wanted to find some place new, our own place. We walked hand in hand in silence. I scrutinized Peeta in the corner of my eye, watching as he looks around at the newly grown tall trees and shrubs, watching as his lips would twitch up into slight smiles, and down when older memories would over come him.

"I tried to kill you, real or not real?" He asked quietly.

"Real." I whispered. We stopped then, his eyes full of sorrow.

"I'm so sorry. I don't know how many times I've apologized, but I am." He replied, letting the sadness and; pain seep through his face. "Peeta, you don't need to apologize to me anymore. We are past that." I said, caressing his cheek bone lightly.

He smiled at me lovingly, "You are so forgiving towards me, why?"

"You know why, Peeta." I said. He scrunched up his nose and chuckled, letting his lips collide with mine, he began to tease me as he started to pull away; barely touching his lips against mine. "I want to hear you say it," he whispered. "You love me," he said with a bright smile spread across his face. "Real, okay? Real." I said, laughing. He kissed me quickly and sat us down. We ate our food in silence, letting ourselves enjoy the outside. I laid my head down on his chest, his arms wrapped around me. My thoughts shifted toward my memories, looking into those nights when Peeta would sleep in my room with me when we were preparing for the Games, how we'd lay there awake together, just appreciating one another's embrace.

"Katniss?"

"Hm?" I looked up at him.

"I was wondering if you'd be willing to go to District 4?" His voice was drowning in hope.

I sat up then, looking at him seriously. "Are you sure?"

"Sure that I want to go, or sure that I will to be okay?"

"Are you sure that you will be okay?"

"I'm sure. I was fine when you shot Coin, I was fine when we took the debate..."

"I'm just worried you will panic or something ridiculous will happen." I said flatly.

"Like what?" He asked, trying to find the doubt in my eyes.

"I don't know, something like you going through those horrible memories and freaking out in front of Annie." I concluded.

"I am past that-"

"You still have moments. Just like you did today."

"I can do this Katniss. Trust me." He pleaded.

"I do..." I started.

"Katniss. Please, just give me a chance. It's been so long, and Annie's baby is bound to be born by now. She needs us."

"Fine. When do we leave?" I asked, Peeta's face lit up with joy, he leaned in and kissed me passionately.
"We leave in two days."
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave comments! Chapter Song