To Kill a Mockingjay

003;

The train moved slowly, trying to pick up it's rightful velocity. It was a nice train, almost exactly like the one that drove us to all the other districts on the Victory Tour. We had our own little room, it's walls were a pale minty green with a white outlined window. We sat there in each other's embrace, trying to find the right words to express towards this visit. I imagined Annie's and Finnicks's baby, how it is bound to be beautiful.

The train ride is a two day trip and Peeta was beginning to get restless. I made him sleep most of the trip, always giving him heavy doses of sleeping medication so this would go smoothly.

"I don't want to sleep anymore, Katniss." He whispered. "You need to believe in me, believe that I can be okay." He added. I looked down at him on my lap, trying to find the right words as he sat up. "If I happen to have a moment...take me away from Annie, I don't want something harmful to happen to her because of me." His eyes were filled with sorrow, but his bone structure was strained, he was doubting himself.

"Peeta, I do believe that you are okay. What they did to you is irreversible, but you are making severe progress in getting away from that dark, sinister place. If it comes down to when you feel yourself going under, remember your sanctuary, where I took you in the woods, remember all that you love." I said simply. He nodded, trying to remember it all; he laid back down and closed it eyes trying to forget the doubt. I looked out the window, trying to come up a back up plan for when or if Peeta has a slip up. Annie has problem's as it is, adding Peeta's does not help either one's situation. If he does, then the only option is for us to leave District 4, and possibly never come back. I know that Peeta means well, and that for the most part he is fine, but when those moments do happen, a part of me fears that it will be the end of us. But I can't afford to think like that, he needs me, and I need him just as much as he does.

Nightfall cloaked the sky, the stars sparkled with elegance, reminding me that everything will happen for the better or for the worse. Peeta was awake with me, he was drawing the room we were in, drawing every detail, drawing us. I smiled, watching him from the corner of my eye.

"I know you're watching."

"I'm always watching." I admitted.

From that point on, we went on talking about our future and past. We discussed that if we were never in the Games, I would never be with him and that I would have never found Gale's undying love for me. I doubted that, I told him that I would have found out eventually, but that was all part of our two hour long disagreement.

"Katniss, he kept it so well hidden until he realized that that might be the last time he ever saw you again, so it was all or nothing."

Peeta had a good point, if the Games never happened, Gale and I would still be glued at the hip, Prim and Rue would still be alive. I took my thoughts away from them, trying not to remind my body of the pain that they bring me.

Morning is still such a long journey ahead of us, six hours. Peeta took this time to tell me about Haymitch's plans for me.

"He wants to get you back into training."

"Training for what?"

"It's a new type of game, something called the Olympics. It's from the 20th and 21st century or something."

"I don't want to go into training, I don't want to do anything that has to do with nationalism." I said firmly. Peeta backed off and changed the subject. In no time, it was morning and we were arriving at District 4.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave comments! Chapter Song