Status: On going.

Crossbow Hearts

Getting Acquainted

I woke up feeling disorientated, looking up at a canvas tent. I sat up straight panicking just as Caleb came through smiling.
“Jamie they have lots of food, and apples and eggs and…Jamie what’s wrong?” He asked sitting by me his dog teddy in his hands.
“Nothing I just forgot where we were.” I smiled and hugged him when he held his arms out. I picked Caleb up and came out of the tent just as Dale made his way over to us.
“Good morning Jamie, would you like some breakfast.” I still wasn’t sure if I was comfortable around these people, but Dale had been nothing but polite.
“Yes thank you. How do you feel?”
“Great thanks to you. I hope you and young Caleb can find a home with us.” I smiled not wanting to say yes or no.
“So how long have you been here for? I mean there’s so many of you and you seem safe, how is it possible?” I asked bewildered by the scene in front of me. Last night I hadn’t seen much as it was dark. But know it was day time I could see they had a house and barns several tents set up on one side and everyone seemed to have a purpose, there was order instead of the chaos like there was with the other group we had been with.
“Well those of us in the tents came across the farm after an accident whilst looking for…a member of our group that had ran into the woods as a herd of walkers came by.” It took me a moment to remember that they referred to the Z’s as walkers. “And Hershel gave us permission to stay on his farm. So our group wasn’t always this big. We lost quite a few whether by them leaving, turning or choosing to end the nightmare that is our world now. And as for safety we have look outs.” He pointed to atop the RV where a woman was stationed, rifle and binoculars at hand. “We get the occasional walker but we try to be careful. So really it’s as safe as anything right now. We’ve been here I’d say almost two months.” This news shocked me, we were always moving in the other group Z’s always seemed to be right behind us. I squeezed Caleb and wondered if it would be a good idea to stop with these people. “Well that’s enough talk for now Jamie, let’s get you some breakfast.” As we walked towards one of the bigger tents I made a mental note again of just how many people there actually were. I counted 15 people altogether, 6 women, 1 child Carl I think his name is and 8 men. I gathered those that lived in the house were all Hershel’s family; he was an elderly man with white hair and a stern face. Three women lived with him I assumed the eldest was his wife and the other two were his daughter’s, their names at the moment escaped me, and another man Jimmy I think his name was lived with them possibly his son or the eldest daughter’s boyfriend. It lightened my heart a little to know there were still families together and whole.
As we came to the tent a scrawny woman with auburn hair came out. She looked a little stern, but she smiled friendly at me none the less. I remembered her name was Lori and she was the cops wife.
“Morning Jamie? I’m Lori I know last night must have been overwhelming for you, but maybe today you can get the chance to meet everyone properly. I’d like to thank you for saving Dale’s life. Rick and Hershel are more than happy for you to stay with us if you choose to do so.” I smiled back tentatively.
“Thank you Lori, if I’m honest I don’t rightly know if we will be staying. We’ve had…problems with groups in the past and I’d rather not put Caleb into that kind of situation again.” She looked at me waiting for me to elaborate, but that wasn’t happening anytime soon. She nodded her head realising I would say no more on the subject.
“Well for now let’s get you something to eat your son has already eaten.” She smiled at Caleb who was looking at her confused.
“Jamie’s not my mom, that’s why I call her Jamie and not mom. Mom’s dead and so is dad.” His little body shook ever so slightly the only sign that he was upset. I stroked his hair soothingly and he clung a little tighter to me.
“I saved him from some Z’s back in Gainesville. He maybe young but he fully comprehends what has happened to the world and that which has happened to his parents.” Lori seemed a little shocked by what he had told her, but she soon recovered.
“Carl!” Lori called her son over.
“Yeah mom?”
“Why don’t you take Caleb and show him around so he can become familiar with the farm?” she said pushing Carl towards us.
“Can I Jamie?” Caleb asked his big blue eyes smiling at me.
“Sure sweetie, but remember what I told you.” I said setting him back on his feet and he passed me his teddy.
“No going in the woods, if I see a walker I run to the nearest adult, but don’t scream in case there’s more and I’m not allowed to play with my knife as it is for safety only and not a toy.” He smiled up at me happy he could recite the rules I had given him while with the other group.
“Yep now go on and back before dark and stay with Carl.” He ran off after Carl.
“Well you sure act like a parent. And is it wise that he has that knife, he’s so young.” Lori questioned.
“If I hadn’t have taught him how to use that knife we’d both be dead. He also knows how to drive my truck. I was getting ready to show him how to use a gun, but if we chose to stay he may not need to, at least for a little while.” I quickly ran to my truck leaving Caleb’s teddy and grabbing a little something tucking it in my waist band.
I sat with Lori and ate a breakfast of scrambled eggs and dried bread it was like heaven. Then I followed Lori as she introduced everyone to me. Carol was a mom and had lost her husband and daughter, her daughter very recently. Glenn was with Hershel’s daughter Maggie both as an item and when she went to introduce them to me. Glenn seemed pleasant enough, but Maggie seemed somewhat reserved. T-dog which I had to stop from laughing at smiled and asked if I had seen much of other living people. Andrea was the woman sat up on the RV and came across very brash she said hi and that was all I got from her. Hershel the owner of the farm greeted me pleasantly enough and offered me the same as Lori to stay in relative safety in their group. His daughter Beth was quite but she waved and smiled shyly at me. Patricia who was a friend of the family and not in fact married to Hershel as I thought was a timid woman who didn’t say much. The only people I had yet to see where Rick, Shane and Daryl. But the last two I didn’t care much for seeing other than to thank Daryl for saving me. Lori walked me down to the barn where Shane and Rick stood almost as if guarding something inside.
“Lori what did you bring her for? You do realise…”
“Shut up Shane. Jamie how are you? How you finding it here?” Rick asked cutting across Shane.
“I’m fine, well I’m amazed at how many people you have here and thank you for the offer to stay…”
“You asked her to stay?! The crazy bitch that almost got herself killed?!” I tuned out as I heard a muffled scream for inside the barn.
“What was that?” I asked looking at the barn. Shane scoffed and positioned himself in front of the door blocking me if I should choose to try and enter.
“Well he and his friends attacked us. It seems he has a large group of survivors. They could be a threat to us. We had planned on killing him, but now as Dale wishes we’re going to turn him loose in another town far away from us.” Shane stood behind Rick seething he clearly didn’t like the idea.
“Well not to over step anything here, but he knows where this farm is right?” Rick nodded. “Well what happens if and when he gets back to his group and tells about you being here? I would have thought the best course of action would be to kill him.” Shane’s glare turned to one of mild surprise and you could tell he was re-evaluating his stance on me.
“It maybe, but we can’t just go around killing survivors. We need law and order, killing people just because they may pose a threat is just murder, makes us just as bad as we think they are.” I nodded.
“Look Rick this is your group what happens is down to you and the people here. I’m not even sure I’m staying. He may just lead this “group” of his back here and I will do anything and everything to protect Caleb. If you don’t want to kill him because of how others may feel.” I pulled the gun from my waist band that I had snagged earlier at my truck. “Then I’ll do it. I have no qualms in ending his life.” Shane’s ears pricked up I was clearly voicing thoughts that he himself had.
“She hasn’t been here five minutes Rick and she already knows killing him is the right thing to do! Open your damn eyes!” Shane hollered getting in Ricks face.
“Shane stop it, if Ricks made his decision then we’ll all stand by it.” Lori snapped at Shane. I looked at them and I sensed there was more going on between these three than whether or not they should end somebodies life or not.
“We’ll stick to the plan, me and Daryl will drop him off in a town in a few hours. For now let’s talk about something else. Jamie is there anything you can do? What did you do for a living?”
“I was a sergeant in the United States army, I worked artillery.” I had to resist the urge to salute. I thought I had long since lost that habit, apparently not.
“Good, if you stay you’ll be great as a sentry.”
“If I stay I can also do runs into town or the nearest city needs be.” I offered.
“Well we’ll see about that when and if the time comes. I need to talk to Hershel so if you’ll excuse me.” Rick smiled and walked away Lori leaving to so that I was left with Shane.
“You aren’t dumb as you look then.” I raised my brow at him. “Maybe you could convince Rick to kill him and that’s the only way you’ll stay.”
“Or I could let Rick and your group decide whatever and leave with Caleb. Look I agree killing him is the best decision that could be made, but I also see Rick’s point of view. I’m not going to tread on any toes here. So if Rick decides he wants him dead, but can’t do it himself, come find me and I’ll do it.” I turned away noting a look of hunger in Shanes eyes that gave me the creeps.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well I hope you are all enjoying it so far :D I haven’t decided yet if I will continue with the TV series, but I do know I will cross over into the comics as I enjoy some of the characters in it. I want to say a big thanks to Krazy 13 who gave me the title for my story, big loves girlie :D So let us know what you think of the story so far :D