Status: On going.

Crossbow Hearts

I Love You

I woke up to the feel of cool metal pressed to my temple. My eyes flickered open and I realised it was a gun. Someone was coming to kill me.
“I’m alive don’t shoot.” The gun lifted and I turned slowly. Merle and Rick were both in the cell. Rick had been the one with the gun pressed to my temple, while Merle stood back a gun in his good hand. Outside Tyreese and Glenn held on to Daryl.
“Thank god. I thought,” Rick didn’t finish his thought. “Well doesn’t matter you’re awake and still no symptoms.”
“No, none at all. And I realised you’re right. What I tried to do last night was selfish.” I said my head hung in shame. Spark was right and now I couldn’t believe I had tried it, tried to kill myself.
“Good cos we need you Jamie. If we’re going to be ready for Woodbury we need all hands on deck and everyone that can fight and shoot needs to be teaching everyone who can’t.” I nodded at Rick.
“I know, when do you want to start?”
“Well for now really, you need to rest.” I hadn’t noticed Alice lurking behind everyone. “Judging by what everyone told me, you need to rest up till that wound has fully healed, you can give instruction but no hard work.” Everyone slowly left leaving just me and Daryl. I hated how I had been with him last night, I hated that I had hurt him.
“Daryl…”
“Save it Jamie.” Then he turned on his heel and left me alone. Damn it, I had messed up big time. Why hadn’t I listened to Daryl? I knew of course, Spark was right. I saw I was bitten and that was that, I had to die. Preferably before I turned. I didn’t stop to think how I was hurting people, just that I was dying and that I wanted to end it my way.
“It’s good to see you’re ok sugar tits. I shouldn’t have tried to help you last night, but I would expect the same from you if it was me.” Merle said.
“I thought I was right. But I guess Rick and Daryl were, not that Daryl’s talking to me, wouldn’t even look at me.” I sighed. I guess I deserved it, I couldn’t begin to imagine how much I must have hurt him last night.
“I’ll talk to him.” I looked at him, I knew Merle’s talks and I didn’t want him hassling Daryl. “Hey I’ll be nice. Any way I think Caleb is dying to see you. He’s out in the yard.”
“Ok, thanks Merle.” I kissed his cheek, living him with a dumbfounded look on his face and walked out in to the sun.
“JAMIE!” Caleb ran at me throwing his arms around my neck as I bent to meet him.
“Hey Caleb, I missed you.”
“You’re not going to turn are you Jamie? I heard Merle talking and he said you were bit and it was a matter of time.” I held him closer.
“Yeah, but I always come back, I’ll always be here for you. I’m fine so you don’t need to worry.” I smiled letting him go slowly.
“Daryl’s mad at you isn’t he?”
“What do you mean?” I asked, I knew Caleb was perceptive, but he hadn’t seen Daryl near me since yesterday.
“Because when you came back last time he was always nearby, but I can’t see him.” I ruffled his hair and stood.
“Yeah I guess he is. But we’ll sort it out later.” He took off to find Susie and Carl soon after and I made my way to Hershel and convinced him to let me help with the farming, I needed something to do, something to keep myself occupied.
I was sat just away from Hershel’s crops, my side was on fire. I hadn’t ripped the stitches, I was just exhausted and the constant bending had made it sore. I needed a good sleep tonight and I’d be fine. The guns were going off again, Rick and Andrea teaching gun basics to those who weren’t sure how to shoot. It was then that I saw Caleb come running out of the prison entrance. I saw him looking round before he finally clocked me where I sat. His little legs carried him as fast as they could to me.
“Hey steady there, where’s the fire Caleb?” I laughed.
“No fire! Daryl and Merle are fighting! Jamie stop them, I don’t want them to get hurt.” I stood quickly and took off fast as I could. Merle said he would be “nice” about it. As I ran to Cell block A I could hear them.
“You’re a dumbass piece of shit! That girl loves you! She could have killed herself, but she cares that much that she had to come back and say goodbye!” I heard a thud, but slowed down, I was so tired my body didn’t want to run any more. “You ungrateful shit!” As I burst through the door Merle brought his fist back and punched Daryl in the face flooring him.
“Merle!” Daryl scrambled to his feet and as I called Merle’s name Daryl swung at him. Merle stumbled but came back catching Daryl in the face with the metal casing he’d made for his stump and Daryl went down. I pushed past Merle and dropped to Daryl’s side his nose was bleeding and his lip was split. “Daryl,” I started, but he pushed me and got up to go for Merle again. “Daryl Dixon! Will you stop! Please.” I pleaded. My eyes closed, I wouldn’t cry.
Daryl
I was happy I guess, of course I was. Jamie was going to be ok. She’d realised that I was right, but only after that Spark had spoken to her. Why didn’t she listen to me? I shouldn’t have just walked away from her, but I was angry. I didn’t know why, hell I never knew half of the feelings that Jamie made me feel. Caleb had tried a couple of times to come talk to me, but I avoided and ignored the kid. It wasn’t his fault, but right now I didn’t want to deal with anyone. Jamie had gone outside so I made my way to A Block, no one ever came to A Block so I knew I’d be left alone. Right up till my brother walked in.
“You no good worthless faggot.”
“Fuck you talking about Merle?” I snapped back.
“You got what you wanted! She’s alive, ain’t gunna turn and you won’t even talk to her?!” I didn’t even see it coming till I was on my ass looking up at my big brother. “The first time ever, I think I’m ashamed of you.”
“Well boo fucking who. Crazy bitch wants to die, doesn’t listen to me. Then some broad comes in and tells her what I been saying and suddenly she agrees?! Fuck that,” He punched me again and maybe I deserved it.
“So what your fucking ego hurting? Fucking pussy, that girl is too good for you, too good for a no good red neck like you.” And that’s when I hit back, why? Because he was saying what I already knew. But I didn’t need him throwing it in my face. I only got the one punch in before he knocked me on my ass again. “You’re a dumbass piece of shit! That girl loves you! She could have killed herself, but she cares that much that she had to come back and say goodbye!” I didn’t say anything, what could I say to defend myself? So I ended up on the floor again. “You ungrateful shit!”
“Merle!” Jamie shouted coming in. I scrambled to my feet and used her distraction to swing hard and fast at my brother. Merle stumbled but came back catching me in the face with the metal casing he’d made for his stump and I went down hard. Jamie was suddenly at my side. “Daryl,” She started, but I pushed past her and got up to go for Merle again. Her concern for me was stupid, I’d always been an ass to her and yet she still cared. “Daryl Dixon! Will you stop! Please.” Her voice sounded weak and I turned to look at her just in time to catch her as she fell.
“Jamie!” I went to the floor with her in my arms. She’d gone pale and was limp in my arms. “Merle get Alice! Move it, get her now!”
“Jamie? Shit I’m going!” He took off as fast as he could as I held Jamie in my arms. I held her close, she still had a pulse, I didn’t think she was turning. But how could I be sure?
“Jamie, don’t you dare fucking die, you stupid bitch. Why the fuck did you have to make me care? Damn it! Be ok!” I growled out, but my voice came out a whisper, she brought out such crazy emotions in me and I hated it and liked it at the same time. “I need you Jamie, I…I love you.” I heard footsteps then Merle, Alice and Rick came running in. Rick had his gun at hand. I grabbed my gun and pointed it at Rick.
“Whoa Daryl,” He stopped, his hands up defensively.
“Put the gun away Rick.” He held it up and slowly holstered it as Alice came to the other side of me and started to check Jamie over. I didn’t let go of her the whole time even when Alice pulled up her shirt to check the bite.
“She’s ok, as far as I can tell its just exhaustion. Her bodies shut down. There’s been a lot to take in recently. She just needs rest. No stress. So no arguing from you two.” She pointed at me and Merle. “And Daryl if you can’t keep your cool, then I suggest you keep away.” My grip on Jamie tightened I wasn’t going to leave her side. “Now lift her carefully take her to a cell and let her rest.” I nodded and stood with her in my arms. She’d sleep in my cell, that way I knew where she was and knew she’d be ok.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jamie and Daryl just can’t catch a break! I’m so happy that so many of you are still reading and that I’m still getting new followers all the time! Please if you could, just take a minute to leave me a little review, it’s your praise and appreciation that motivates me to update this quicker. As always super thanks to all of you that always review you guys are awesome!