Status: On going.

Crossbow Hearts

One of Our Own

The days turned into weeks and still there was no sign of Woodbury. Dale had made a full recovery, Andrea even fitting him with a wooden leg. Everyone who could and was willing had learnt to use a gun at least competently if not as well as the likes of me, Merle and The Raiders. Warmer weather was here and the crops were beginning to take shape. The bite mark was nothing more than a scar now and I even I was starting to think that perhaps the Governor was simply blowing hot air. Some of the Raiders had gone on and brought back live chickens. Hershel was sure they would lay eggs, so we would be able to have eggs and allow some to grow so we could have fresh meat as well. Life was starting to look up.
I walked out from the cafeteria having helped with another lesson for Carl and Caleb, they were eating lunch and I was bringing lunch for those who were farming. The sun was hot, probably the hottest day we'd had in a while. I just reached Hershel with his lunch when the first shot was fired. It was instant chaos, everyone screaming and shouting only Spark and I seemed to realise that the Governor had made his move as several trucks bore down on the prison men and women firing at us indiscriminately. I pulled Hershel down to the floor it was the only chance we had at not getting shot. Many of the Raiders had rifles and were trying to return fire, I saw Axel take a bullet in the arm and go down. We were pinned with no way of fighting back. Crack and cursing signalled we had returned fire I looked to the towers and saw Andrea in full riot gear trying to hit the Governor. The Governors men seemed to take aim at Andrea so I took my chance to scramble for the other tower and my CheyTac.
“Jamie! Get back here!”
“I will not take this lying down Hershel.” The last 50 yards I got up and ran grabbing the ladder and climbing fast. I didn’t waste time putting the whole suit just the top, I’d modified the helmet in here to better able to shoot with. I returned fire as quickly as I could, taking down two of their men before they located me in the tower and shot back. I ducked out of the way and that’s when I heard a rumble I peered through the railings and saw the Abraham from the National Guard station. I could have screamed that could have been ours if I had taken it when we first saw it. I took aim again and killed another before they fell back. I left my gun loaded and slid down the ladder.
“Daryl!” I called looking for him.
“I’m here Jamie, you ok?” He shouted jumping up and coming towards me.
“I’m fine, what about everyone else?”
“Just Axel and Mark.” Merle said as he came towards us. “What’s up with you?”
“I could have taken that tank. That could be ours right now; they don’t even know how to fire it.” I growled.
“Everybody ok?” Rick called as he ran out Alice hot on his heels. Axel and Mark were rushed in side.
“You sure you can drive a tank?” Merle asked, Rick and Tyreese sidled up listening in curiously.
“What part of Sergeant in the 7th Field Artillery Regiment did you miss? I didn’t operate an Abram on my own, but I could once in the yard all I would have to do is aim and fire.”
“Maybe we could get a hold of it…Of course we’d need you to come with us Jamie, none of us would know where to begin at driving a tank.” Rick began.
“I don’t think so, she’s still recovering and there are still more of them than there are of us.” Daryl said moving possessively in front of me.
“I don’t know Daryl, maybe this is our only chance. We won’t know they’re here till they’re on top of us. That tank could be what turns the tied for us. If they figure out how to fire that tank then we’re fucked.” Spark said.
“I’ll go with her, make sure she comes back.” Michonne said stepping forward.
“And I’ll go too.” Tyreese offered. Daryl looked to me torn, he knew what Spark was saying was true, but he didn’t want to risk me.
“Ok we’ll go. Once we get in that tank we can secure it, they won’t be able to get in it.”
“You don’t have to do this Jamie.”
“I do. That tank could mean we keep this prison, that we are able to have a life here all of us. That son of bitch isn’t taking it from us and if taking that tank secures our position then I’m going to take it.”
Within an hour the three of us are strapped up in riot gear and armed to take the tank from the Governor. We moved quietly through the trees finally coming up the Governor and his men. They stood seemingly in a meeting as we came up behind the tank.
“Jamie you get in there and start it, get it going we’ll watch your back.” Michonne said unsheathing her katana.
“Are you sure?” Tyreese nodded in agreement. “I’ll move the turret when I’m good to go. Jump in and the hatch locks from inside.”
“Ok go Jamie.” Tyreese motioned. I climbed up the side, the hatch left open so they could get back and slid in. There was one guy still messing with switches trying to work the Abram, but he had no idea. I pulled free a hunting knife and came up behind him and slit his throat. I pulled him from the seat and started flicking switches. The engines rumbled to life, growling beneath me. It was good to be back in a tank. I moved to the controls that operated the turret and shifted it. I heard hooting and cheers from outside, which quickly turned to gun fire. I pulled up my gun as some dropped down.
“It’s me Jamie.” It was Michonne
“Where the hells Tyreese?!”
“They got him,”
“What? We have to get him back!” I shouted moving to the hatch. Michonne slammed me against the side.
“No, there are too many of them. The others are relying on us to get back there with this,” Tears welled in her eyes and I had to wonder if there was more between her and Tyreese than I had thought. “We leave now.” I didn’t dare argue further. I got back in the seat and set off, quickly reaching 40 miles per hour. They fired at the tank, but we were quickly away from them. They soon caught up in their trucks.
“Michonne watch this, I’ve set a straight course once the prison gates come into view shout me, I’m going to try and get rid of them.” Thankfully she didn’t question me and I soon had control of the turret again I angled down as best I could and swung it. It slammed into the side of nearest truck and flipped it. I made to swing at the nearest truck but they backed off. I took back the driver’s seat of the Abram and slowed as we approached the prison. Michonne went up and opened the hatch so they knew it was us. Once the gates were opened we drove I quickly climbed out Daryl and Caleb both waiting for me.
“You ok?”
“I’m fine Daryl.” He let out one of his rare smiles and I noticed everyone else smiling. Everyone was starting to believe that we could beat the Governor. But they had yet to realise that we were missing Tyreese.
“Hey where is Tyreese?” Rick asked as he greeted me with a small hug. Michonne had moved away inside the prison.
“Rick…he didn’t make it. I don’t know what happened; I was already in the tank. Michonne dropped down and told me to go, that they’d got Tyreese. I wanted to go back for him, but…”
“It’s ok.” Rick said, but it wasn’t. We’d got the tank, but at the cost of one our own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey thanks for being patient. I know these chapters are few and far between and I apologise for that I just hope the wait is worth it. Thank you as always to everyone who reads and reviews, your reviews mean the world!