Status: On going.

Crossbow Hearts

A Whole Herd

“God sake!” Andrea shouted as Rick insisted we stayed behind to protect the camp.
“Look no offense to Glenn there, but both Andrea and myself are way more capable of searching for Randal than he is.”
“No Jamie, Andrea I can’t. I need you both to protect the camp. What if Randal has made it back to his camp? We need you here to protect everyone while we try and find him.” Rick said. I couldn’t think of a reason to argue as he was right. I didn’t know how good a shot Andrea was, but I assumed she must be good to stand guard a top the RV. And for us two to leave would mean the group had lost any decent protectors.
“Fine Rick, we’ll guard camp.” Andrea went to argue, but realised herself that Rick was right. Shane was stood by the woods he hadn’t come near any of us after coming to Rick and Daryl about Randal escaping. I don’t know what it was, but something was telling me all was not as it seemed. As the group dispersed Daryl sidled over to me.
“Shane comes back without Rick or one of us, you shoot him?” He asked not looking at me. I glanced sideways at him.
“Glad it’s not just me that thinks something’s off. He comes back on his own he’s dead.” He nodded and set off his crossbow strung across his back. I turned and headed to the RV and Andrea. “Andrea how do you want to do this then?” She looked down at me and for the first time cracked a smile.
“You know it makes a change to have another woman here that gets kept back even though she’s more than capable.” I smiled back.
“Men just don’t get it. They always have and always will think that woman like us need protecting.” She laughed.
“But we don’t. So if I stay up here and you keep an eye on the woods.”
“Sounds like a plan. I’ll go ask Lori to keep an eye on Caleb.” I waved and headed off to Lori. I found her washing clothes as the others started to move their belongings into the house at Hershel’s behest. “Hey Lori can I ask you to keep an eye on Caleb for me? If Rick is right and Randal has got to his group I need to patrol the outskirts of the woods. Andrea is keeping watch atop the RV, but it means I need someone to watch Caleb.”
“Sure I can Jamie, just be careful. Last thing we need is you to get hurt.” She said in concern.
“I’ll be fine Lori just make sure Caleb stays safe.” I said walking to my truck and pulling out my bag of ammunition collecting two clips for my hand gun.
It was getting dark now and still none of them had returned. Dale had stopped by once to bring me something to eat and some water.
“Dale, what do you think happened to Randal?” The older man looked at me, a look of resignation in his eyes.
“I think we both know that Randal is more than likely dead. And who killed him.”
“We won’t have a problem if I kill him?” I asked looking him right in the eye. I expected shock, disgust and disappointment. But what I saw was acceptance.
“It had to happen, he just isn’t safe. I assume you’ll kill him if he arrives back on his own?” I nodded.
“I’m thankful that you haven’t argued against this. I know killing another living person repulses you, but I’ve been here five minutes and I can see Shane is no good and a risk, a huge risk.”
“I know, I had the chance to do it myself, but I...I just…” I nodded understandingly.
“It’s fine Dale, some people just aren’t made for that kind of thing.” After that there was nothing more to say so he left.
I was starting to get a little worried now. Darkness had fully fallen and only moments ago I heard a gunshot. I was sure Daryl could take care of himself, but if Shane had killed Rick and come for them I wondered if Daryl would put himself in the way to protect Glenn. He didn’t seem the type, but I didn’t know him. Why the thought of Daryl dead bothered me I didn’t know, but if he was dead then Shane was already dead, he just didn’t know it yet. There was only one shot so perhaps Rick had killed Shane. At the sound of rustling I had my gun up, safety off and pointing to the sound. Then Daryl and Glenn immerged.
“About damn time. You find Randal?” I asked. Glenn looked at Daryl and Daryl just set off to the house motioning for us to follow. The group all gathered outside the farm house everyone looking to Daryl for answers.
“Well did you find Randal?” Dale asked. Glenn fidgeted.
“Yeah he was a walker.” Daryl answered. Looking at him I knew there was more to it. And judging by the look in his eyes it wasn’t good.
“Well did you find the walker that bit him?” Hershel asked. Daryl shifted uneasily, but no one except me seemed to notice. Glenn was quiet and avoiding everyone’s gaze as Maggie came and stood beside him.
“Thing is, there was no bite or scratch marks. Just his neck was broken.” Well that was interesting. My assumption was Shane had killed Randal. With Daryl seeming to think Shane would come back on his own meant Shane had planned this so he could get Rick on his own and kill him. And he may have succeeded. I looked up my eyes meeting Daryl’s for a moment. I nodded slightly to show I knew what this meant.
“Has anyone seen Carl and Caleb?” My eyes darted around at Lori’s words. Where in god’s name was he? Lori was supposed to be looking after him!
“Well Caleb wander into the RV…” I didn’t wait to hear Dale finish as I took off to the RV and yanked open the door. And there he was sat at the table with a pack of playing cards.
“Caleb! Oh god you’re ok. Where’s Carl?”
“He left me, said I needed to go to the RV while he did stuff.” He frowned not happy, but I had told him to do whatever the older people said and I guess he classed Carl as an older person.
“Caleb sweetie, what stuff?” I asked crouching beside him.
“I don’t know Jamie, he said stuff and left me.” I held my hand out for him and then picked him up walking out to see Carol and Lori arriving at the RV.
“Carl ain’t here Lori. He told Caleb to come here while he did stuff.” I think he may have gone to find his dad and Shane, but I didn’t think that would make Lori feel any better.
“He’s gone after Rick!” Lori cried as Carol hugged her.
“Now Lori we don’t know that. Let’s search the farm first.” Carol suggested.
“Carol’s right Lori, I’ll get Dale to watch Caleb and I’ll help you look.” She nodded on the verge of tears. I knew how I felt moments ago fearing Caleb had gone, but Carl was her son and that could only be tenfold on what I felt. Dale wholeheartedly agreed to watch over Caleb as we went in search of Carl as I made my circuit round the woods there was still no sign. I walked back to the farm as Daryl was about ready to move out into the woods to look for him.
“WALKERS!” Andrea bellowed running towards us. “A whole herd there’s gotta be at least a hundred!” She cried. This is it, we are fucked.
“Why don’t we lead them from the farm? They’ll follow us in the cars.” Glenn suggested.
“We sure they’re going to follow us? And how do we get back?” I asked. We would have to get past them to come back.
“There ain’t no way we can fend off this many walkers.” Daryl stated, but Hershel immediately shot down the suggestion of leaving the farm.
“This is my farm. I’ll die here.” Guns were distributed and I ran back to Dale.
“Dale please for my sanity, stay in my truck with Caleb. Keep him safe, keep him alive.” I pleaded.
“Jamie I don’t know if…”
“Please Dale. If I don’t know Caleb is safe with someone I trust I won’t be able to concentrate.” He nodded as Caleb climbed across his legs to hug me.
“Don’t die Jamie.”
“I never do. I always come back.” I kissed his head softly and slammed the door shut. I didn’t glance back as I felt it seemed final and I wouldn’t see him again if I did. The Z’s were getting closer. They’d surrounded the barn. Daryl was on his motorbike and drove towards me.
“I think Rick is in there and maybe Shane and Carl to. I’m going to lead Jimmy in the RV down there and see if we can get them out.” He took off the second I nodded. I was puzzled with his need to tell me what he was doing, but quickly shrugged it off. I pulled out my gun grabbing my baseball bat and raced to the house and Hershel who was facing the Z’s dead on. Lori was not far behind him with Carol, Beth and Patricia.
“Get in the fucking cars!!” I shouted as I took down a Z. “Hershel we have to leave.” But he just ignores me. I turn to see Z’s attacking Patricia and she still had Beth’s hand I turn to look at Hershel, but he is so consumed in defending his home. I ran to them and take down a Z with the bat as Lori tugs Beth free and they race to a car where T-dog and Andrea are. They pile in as I side step a Z and head to Andrea and Carol. Carol is pinned down by a couple of Z’s until Andrea shoot’s down two of the walkers. One comes behind her.
“Andrea!” But it toppled her to the ground and I know I’m too late. A Z grabs Carol’s arm and I the other. I lost Andrea, but I’d be damned if I’d lose Carol too. I pull up my gun and shoot it as Carol pulls into me. I shove her to the car, but I couldn’t have hit the walker dead on as it grabs my leg and I fall. My heart leaps into my throat. I can’t breathe. It crawls forward reaching grabbing. I turn try to grab my bat. I keep reaching, but I can’t. The Z is trying to bite through my boot. My fingers close on the bat I bring it round and crash it into the Z’s head. I start to scramble as a hand clamps on my shoulder. I let out a feral scream and swing stopping just short of hitting Daryl. He pulls me up properly and helps me onto the bike. Not asking if I was ok, but not saying how stupid I am either.
“We lost Patricia and I think Andrea too.” I whispered as I lock my arms round his waist.
“And Jimmy.” He replies back just as quiet. As we pull out of the farm I can only hope everyone else made it out alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
What is happening between Jamie and Daryl? Did everyone else make it out of the farm? Is Andrea alive? Find out next time :D Thanx for your reviews and to those who've subscribed :D