Status: Incomplete

Between a Rock and Hard Place

Chapter 1.

Carmen stood at the edge of the office desk, waiting for the old lady to look up and noticed her. Tapping her fingers on the desk, hoping that it would catch her attention. The seconds rolled by until she finally cleared her throat. The old lady looked up at her, a glare on her face, like Carmen was interrupting her of some important work.
”Yes?” The woman croaked at her.
”Hello, my name is Carmen, Carmen Bates.” She inquired, the woman gave her a look of ‘I don’t really care’ so she tried again. “I recently moved here and need a schedule of my classes, maybe a map, student ambassador or something to show me around?”
”Ah, yes. We were expecting you.” ‘Riiiight’ Carmen thought, this lady clearly didn’t think much of her. The woman clicked a few things into her computer and asked. “You’re taking a few AP classes, creative writing and one year higher then your math class?”
”Yes.” Carmen responded curtly. The woman gave her another look over like she couldn’t believe it.
Carmen didn’t blame her for thinking that was odd, considering she dressed in a sort of emo, hipstery, tomboy way not a good, polite student, and nerdy way. She always wore what she felt like, didn’t matter much to her.
Smiling to herself, Carmen also thought about how this woman would be even more surprised by her personality, which didn’t match her either.
”Hmm,” The woman pressed down on an intercom button. “Would Dalton DeMarco please come to the Main Office.” Carmen rose her brows up at the name, it sounded Italian. She smiled at thought of some cute boy showing her around, accent thick with spaghetti and sauce sounds. She laughed at her ridiculous idea, even if he was hot, no boy would look her way.
Her baggy camo pants, black tank, and messy, black, curled hair flowing down to her shoulders, and was also in the way of one of the two dark brown eyes she had, didn’t extremely yell out ‘sex appeal,’
Glancing around the office, she dully noted the achievements the school had racked, photos of students who won random awards, and pictures of past principals. On the far right wall was the Anderson High School Anthem. She read over the lame cheer a few times before the office door opened.
“You wanted me?”
She stared. The boy, or rather man, in front of her was tall, dark, and most definitely Italian. His hair was black and spiked, leading down to a solid jaw line and sharp nose. His lips were full and his eyes were a stormy grey. His face was pulled into a mischievous half smile, and his hands were tucked casually into his jeans.
“Yes” Cranky lady said. “Carmen needs you to show her around. She’s new” She added, as if it weren’t obvious enough. He nodded curtly and grinned. His teeth were as straight and as clean as a white picket fence. As he took in the sight of the new student, he bobbed his head up and down. “I’ll show you around Miss…?”
”Carmen, as she said.” Carmen said, and shouldered her messenger styled pack more securely. “I’m going to assume we have some of the same classes.” She commented, and looked over the lady expectantly. Luckily, she caught the hint right away and handed Carmen her schedule, who immediately turned it over to Dalton so he could look it over and tell her where to go.
“Oh hey, we have two classes together.” He grinned, Carmen couldn’t help but feel a slightly faster pace in her heart, she quickly ignored it and took the paper back.
“That’s helpful, would you mind taking me to my current class. I’m unsure if what period it is and where to go.” He nodded and his hands in his pockets once again.
”You have AP biology with Mrs. Paar, it’s on the third floor.” Carmen noted that in her head and checked out the room number on her schedule. “Thanks, are you gonna walk me there?” He nodded and they both walked towards the door where he opened it for her. Carmen gave a small smile to him before walking out into the hall and turned waiting. He walked past her and turned left towards the stairwell. They walked up a flight of stairs and he turned right, Carmen stayed quietly behind him as Dalton led the way.
“So,” He started, “Where do you come from?”
“California, more North towards Washington.” She answered back.
”Oh? My aunt lives out there.”
”Really? What’s her name? I may have met her, I worked part time at a popular book store in the coffee booth.”
“Her name is Candy.”
”Candy Carmicheal? She was a regular, I loved talking to her, we read a lot of the same books.” Carmen said excitedly. “She would always say the randomest things and had the loudest laugh I ever heard.”
“You’re that part-timer she always gushed about.” He stopped and held out his hand. “Pleased to finally meet you.” Carmen took his hand, and shook it happily.
”And I you, she would mention something about her nephew coming out to visit her once in awhile,” Carmen mentioned. “but I never met him, you?”
He nodded. “Must have been sad about that” He winked and stepped in beside her. “So why did you move?”
“My dad got a different business job here, so we all had to move. It’s just me, him, my Mom and my baby sister.”
He nodded and pointed to a doorway.
“How’s about I come pick you up after class?”
Carmen smiled. “Sounds great!” He nodded and swaggered off, leaving her to tenderly knock on the door. She was greeted by a frazzled red head, who smiled upon seeing her.
”You must be Ms. Bates. Come in! We were just about to start on the reproduction of cells.” She stepped aside to let the girl in. Once inside, she breathed in a scent of pure Biology. A fish tank, clean as a whistle sat in the back underneath a shelf full of dead animals. There was a small class full of mismatched people. “You can sit where you want” The teacher walked up behind her desk to continue the lesson.
Carmen choose a desk somewhat near the back, next to a tan girl who was bent over a white page. She didn’t glance up as Carmen took a seat next to her, though she did drop her eraser. “nobody likes you.” She mumbled under her breath. Carmen picked up the large pink stub and smirked. “You know, it’s unfair to insult things that can’t fight back”
She smiled broader. “Though I do it all the time.” The girl looked up and gave a lopsided grin back. “It gets it’s revenge by being attracted to the floor. I’m Lina. Are you new?” Carmen shrugged. “Oh no, I’ve just never showed up to class till now.” Lina scrunched her eyebrows together. “I’m glad you showed up” She said brightly, smiling. Carmen chuckled. “That was a joke, you didn’t take that seriously now did you?” Lina went a little wide eyed and looked left. “Well you never know” She defended herself weakly. Carmen continued to chuckle lightly. “Don’t worry about it.” Lina grinned and laughed.
”You can introduce yourself after the Lab” Lina and Carmen looked up at the still frazzled looking teacher as she shuffled through stacks of papers. Lina nodded at Carmen and returned to her sketch.

As class got out, Carmen and Lina were talking about the lab, joking around about how the rest of the students seemed so lost.
“New Friend already?” Carmen turned around to see Dalton striding easily toward the pair. Lina nodded to him but said nothing. Carmen could sense the tension between them and decided she would question Lina about it later.
”Yeah,” She smiled. “Lina’s awesome, ever seen her drawings? They’re gorgeous.” Lina gave a small smile as Dalton laughed.
”She has won many awards for them, minor ones though.” Dalton smirked darkly at Lina. Lina’s back straightened, as she venomously bit out.
”No more minor then your soccer awards. Such a…foreign pass time.” Carmen quickly butted in, the obvious dislike between the two was bugging her.
“Well, I shall see you in Lit class.” She said to Lina and turned to Dalton. “I have Pre-Calc next.” She explained, waiting for him to lead the way. When it was clear her two new buddies were going to stare each other down for longer then she’d like, Carmen grabbed Dalton’s hand and walked a random way. Tugging him from the battle of eyes.