Status: Active

After Midnight

two

They arrived at her apartment and she started packing immediately. He sat on her bed as she began shoving things in her bag without folding. She could see him in the light now and his good looks didn't go unnoticed. Piercing green eyes, strong jaw and there was a part of her that was hoping to see that smile. Before he caught her staring she turned to her closet and grabbed a couple more things she needed.

"Can I ask you something?" she said her back still turned to him.

"Sure"

"Where did you learn to shoot like that? Nobody shoots arrows anymore" she turned to him now and he noticed the deep blue eyes he somehow missed in the alley. It was dark, but he knew how to see from a distance how did I miss that?

"Still there?" she asked waving her hand in his face now.

"I learned when I was a kid" he said, "I just--"

"Can you show me?" she asked.

"How?"

She shrugged, "I don't know" she looked around but failed to find a way for him to show her his skill.

"Did you not see it when I saved your life?" he was mocking her now and she knew that, and suddenly she saw a smirk on his face and she shook her head, "Some other time I guess"

There was a knock on her door and like it was a reflex she pulled her gun. She looked over at him and he just shrugged, "I don't know anybody but my landlord" she said quietly, "And he only visits for rent. He'd be yelling by now"

"They wouldn't come around this quick"

"Who knows how many they have in the city, and if they know about what I've done--"

"Relax" he said putting his hand out in front of her, "Wait here, if I answer you might get lucky and they'll just...leave"

"You can't answer the door with that" she pointed at his bow and arrows and he nodded, "You're right..." he pulled it off and took off the black hoodie he was wearing. She took a deep breath when he revealed himself in just a t-shirt now. She cleared her throat and nodded, "Are you armed other than that?"

He pulled a gun from the back of his pants and she raised an eyebrow and he just shrugged. He stood up straight and put the gun back in its place, walking towards the door. He unlocked it and turned the doorknob and there was no immediate threat. It was a taller man, white maybe in his mid-thirties. He was dressed well, in a suit and tie and didn't look like he was here for any harm.

"Can I help you?" Clint asked looking him straight in the eye. He stayed quiet for a moment and looked around, "Looking for someone?"

"Must have the wrong apartment" the stranger replied, "Do you know a Jennifer that lives in this building?"

He shook his head, "Can't say I do"

"That's funny, cause I could have sworn I was told it was number 10 at this address"

"Maybe if I see her I can give her a message?" there was suddenly a ruckus in the other room and Clint looked at the stranger in front of him, "Sorry" he shrugged.

"For what?" he was quick to pull out his gun but the other guy drew as well. They both circled the room for a minute and there was suddenly a gun shot from the other room. It was quiet for a moment and he turned his head, which was a mistake because the other guy kicked the gun out of his hand and Clint ducked as the shot went off. He drew the guy into the other room by reaching for his own gun. He suddenly felt the guy grab onto his leg and he kicked him off and he laid on the floor for a minute, still conscious. Clint kicked him in the stomach and pointed his gun at his head, "Who are you?"

He just laughed, "Shoot me"

"Tell me what you want with her"

"I was paid to come here" he said, "To kill her"

"From who?"

"Trust me, she knows who" he sighed and felt like there was nothing else he could tell him and he shot him in both legs, keeping him down for long enough . He went into the other room and didn't spot either of them, but her gun was on the floor and the fire escape window was open, which is obviously how he got in and out so quickly.

He had her.

He wasn't a hero and although he knew it could come with a price, he needed her alive. He grabbed his bow and arrows and looked out the window, and caught two larger men dragging her by her hair. He was quick to react stopping for a minute to eye his target, he had a shot and took it, while one fell to the ground. He grabbed another arrow while the other looked around, still clenching her hair. He could tell they had already taken a few shots at her but he kept his eye on him, although he wouldn't stop moving around. Suddenly he turned his back, looking around and Clint took his shot and hit dead on. She fell to the ground and this time she wasn't as strong to get up. He got to the ground and kneeled down to her level, "You okay?"

She nodded placing her hand on her head, blood covering her hand, "I'm..." and then in a second her eyes fell and she fell back. He knew he couldn't get her back to the apartment, too much had happened. He thought it could have been from exhaustion until he looked down at her stomach and noticed she'd been hit. When he heard the bullet go off in the apartment she must have been hit, giving the guy the advantage to grab her, which is why she didn't fight back. He tapped her cheek and then splashed water on her from a nearby puddle. Her eyes slowly opened and she looked around, "What happened?"

"You need to stay awake okay?" she just nodded and looked around for a minute.

Everything seemed to be a blur. She had no idea what was going on, and then she heard him on the phone. She couldn't make out anything he was saying, I thought he had no one around here... and then everything went black.

--

Her eyes opened slowly and she noticed she was in a large room, but she knew it wasn't a hospital. She was patched up, but still hooked up to an IV. She felt a bit of panic and looked around, but couldn't see anyone. She tried to sit up, but the shooting pain from the wound on her stomach prevented her from going too far.

"A little anxious" she saw Clint and somehow she felt a bit more relieved, although she still didn't trust him. He was a familiar face.

"Where am I?" she asked, sitting up a bit. He sat down and looked around, "I need to tell you something"

She just nodded and listened intently, "Things happened to me when I was younger and I did alot of running. Eventually I was taken in by an agency. S.H.I.E.L.D. and I became an agent" she was getting confused now and a little nervous, "What does that have to do with me?"

"I've been following you for the past few weeks, on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s order. I'm still an agent. We've known about you for a while. We know you're being hunted down and we know they're getting really close. Too close."

"So you lied to me?" she asked, "You know if you had just told me--"

"You would have run"

"So what were you planning to do when we left?" she replied, "Were you just going to lure me here. Is that where we are? S.H.I.E.L.D.?" he nodded in response, "What do you want with me?" she asked, "I'm nothing special"

"S.H.I.E.L.D. wanted you here because an agent needs replacing" he stopped for a minute, as if it pained him to think about it, "And you're skilled, fast, strong and potentially an asset to us"

"What if I don't want this?" she asked, "What if I--"

"You want to run for the rest of your life?" he asked, "We can help rid you of these people for good, so you can stop running" he looked her straight in the eye this time and she felt like he meant what he was saying, "I'm a man of my word" he said, "And if it comes down to you and me...we'll finish them"

"How do I know I can trust you?"

He shrugged, "You don't. But you can learn. If I wanted to kill you or hurt you, would I have saved your life twice?" he reminded her.

For the first time in a very long time there was a smile on her face and he just laughed, "You should rest. I'll be back after to check on you?" she just nodded and kept her eye on him as he left the room.

She rested her head back for a moment and closed her eyes,

What am I getting myself into?
♠ ♠ ♠
comments are appreciated! especially since i'm still nervous about this story, okayyyyy