Status: Active

After Midnight

four

The group had been doing homework on the family that was after her but there was no way to track where they were, they always seemed to be moving around the map. The last they knew of them was in a small town in Philadelphia.

Sable was still unsure of herself which meant she kept refusing missions and stayed back at the facility, leaving Natasha and Clint to it. They were better and alot more skilled than she was and she kept telling herself that she could never match up with them.

She spent most of her time training, by herself or with Natasha, who kept telling her she was getting better but she still never let herself believe, which frustrated everyone around her, including Clint.

He watched her progress every day and knew that this past month has been enough training and she was ready to go out into the field, when the time came for it. He just didn't know how to convince her.

Being airborne at all times in the Helicarrier, since they left the facility, wasn't exactly fun for Sable. Yes, when she was training that was different, but when she sat motionless in a chair trying to read up on her pursuers, it wasn't as peachy.

She held the folder in one hand and her stomach with the other, trying to hold down her breakfast, which she was very close to failing at.

"You'd think she'd be used to this by now" Natasha mumbled to Clint nodding in her direction from the upper level.

"Not everyone enjoys flying" he replied, "I've heard stories about your first couple months on here"

She shot him a look and he chuckled, "I don't think I need to repeat, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about"

She huffed, "I'm going to kill Nick"

"Bad idea" the voice came from behind them and they both turned around to face Nick, "It seems we have another mission"

"When do we start?" Natasha was eager, as usual, but Nick had other plans, "I want Sable on this with Clint"

They both shot a look at each other and then at Nick, "What?"

"Clint, she's closest to you, I need you to convince her that she has to work this one. We found them, I know it's not one of our regular missions, but it's important we do anything we can to keep them off her trail to keep them off of ours"

"You seriously think she's ready to face them?" Clint asked, "She doesn't even sleep at night because of this, she hasn't even--"

Fury sighed and plopped down in a chair across from them, "Natasha and you are perfectly capable of this, I understand that, but she needs training for anything big that comes along soon. This is a good opportunity, especially because maybe now she can somehow release that anger. She agreed to be a part of this, she has to do something to show that or she has to go" Clint took a breath and looked over at Natasha who shrugged and sat back, obviously agreeing with what he said, "I'll talk to her" Clint replied, "I'll try anyways"

He made his way down and sat next to Sable, who was attempting deep breaths rather than concentrating on her reading, "Hi" she replied with a smile, "Something up?" he nodded in response and she turned the chair to give him her full attention, "Go"

"You've been given an ultimatum" he said. Her expression faded and her eye contact drifted from his, "What is it?" she asked softly.

"We've found them, and they look permanent this time, for a bit longer than usual. We need to strike before they're gone again"

She swallowed and gently shook her head, "I'm not ready for this"

"Damn it Sable yes you are!" he raised his voice a little louder than he expected and she flinched a bit.

"You either do this or you're back on your own. You've sat out too many. You're strong, you're fast and you're incredibly skilled. You've been trained by the Black Widow, the best" Sable clenched her teeth and crossed her arms tightly to her chest, "I don't want to screw up again and get someone killed Clint"

The truth came out.

"That's what this is about? You're concerned about everyone else? We know what we're doing and we understand that death is a part of the job. Shit happens, although it's not easy to deal with, we do. We're wired that way. Especially after you've seen what we've seen"

Clint never spoke much about his past, which made Sable a little vulnerable considering she tossed him every insecurity she's ever had to a stranger with an arrow. She wasn't one to pry though, and he wasn't one to spill.

"Are you coming?" she asked amongst the silence, "Cause I won't go without you"

He nodded, "It's us"

She paused for a minute, sucked in a deep breath and nodded, "Okay, let's do this"

"We should arrive in the next couple days, but here, take these" he handed her a couple of white pills and she put her hand out, "What are these?"

"They've been helping me sleep, and keeping away the nightmares, for the most part...you'll need your energy"

She suddenly felt like it might be a good time to ask, but the thought of him shutting her out scared her.

"Something else?" he asked breaking her from her thoughts.

Maybe I'll go for it

"Clint..." she began, "I've talked so much about me...why haven't you told me anything about you?" he stopped, like a stone he stood there quiet, cold and terrified all at the same time. She placed her hand on his arm and he looked down at it, as if the touch was something foreign to him, "I don't talk about it to anybody" his tone was like ice, which was a cue for Sable. She didn't pry, even asking him was a step for her, so she nodded, "Okay, I understand" and she did. Clint is the first person she's ever let herself out with. Although the guilt still built up bit by bit every day, telling him seemed to shift the weight off her shoulders just a little bit, which made the days easier.

"Sable" she tried to walk away but his voice stopped her and she turned her head slightly to let him know she was listening, "I know what the guilt feels like. I think you should at least know that about me"

"Then we're in the same boat" she replied, "And I'm sorry for that"
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, this is a different story for me. It requires alot more creativity than I'm used to. I feel like alot more detail is needed to create a backstory for a character than in my other stories. I hope you're enjoying this as much as I enjoy writing it. I'm hoping for some more inspiration & ideas, so hopefully you'll be seeing more updates.

This one is short and was quickly written. I hope it helps though! Thanks for reading, comments appreciated!