Status: Active

After Midnight

seven

She laid next to him and wrapped an arm around his waist, head on his chest, "I've never felt this safe" she said, "Nothing can get past you"

He laughed a little, "Well right now they might not find it so difficult"

She smiled a little and let out a yawn, "Don't worry, I'm always on alert. I'll protect you" she said it quietly as she buried her head under his chin. His hand grazed her arm as he smiled and listened to the slowing of her breathing. Before he knew it, he was out too.

--

She woke up and saw him on the edge of the bed while he buttoned up his shirt. She clinged the sheet to her chest and sat up, "Hey"

"Hi" his tone was cold, which caused her expression to change.

"Didn't sleep?" she asked.

"Slept fine"

"Then what's wrong?" she asked. He was getting colder every time he spoke.

He shook his head, "I went too far" he said, "We went too far"

"Excuse me?"

"I let my emotions get in the way, this was a bad idea"

"So you regret what we did?" she felt this sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach, one she never felt before. An unpleasant, sickening, sinking feeling.

He closed his eyes, his back still facing her, "It can't happen again" he sighed, "It can't"

"Why not?"

He finally turned to face her, "Because we're working. We just can't"

Her eyes widened and she shook her head, "You should have just said no" she said, "Last night you should have said no"

"Emotions got the best of me" he said standing up now, "I'm going to meet Natasha, I'll be back in a couple hours" he left the room quickly but Sable jumped up and grabbed one of his shirts, buttoning it up quickly.

"You're not just off the hook" she said grabbing him by the arm, "You can't just pretend like nothing happened and walk out"

"I did"

"What the hell is your problem?" she snapped, "One minute you're fine and the next you won't even look at me" he finally drifted his eyes up and made contact with hers and then shook his head, "It's nothing" he said, "I'm just tired"

"I wasn't born yesterday Clint, I know you're lying to me"

"We can't do this Sable. We can't jeopardize this. It has to stay professional"

"And what happens after this is done?" she crossed her arms tightly across her chest and he didn't even know what was in the future, "I don't know" he responded, "I can't--"

"I'm done" she replied, "We do this mission and I'm done. I'm not living like this. You are not allowed to just completely--and then just pretend it was nothing. It meant something and you refuse to believe it. I can't--I won't be around that. We get rid of them and we're done, I'm going back to Paris"

"To what? Steal your way through life? You can't live off of other people's money, you won't last. It will get old and you will get found out Sable. You were given everything and you want to throw it away?" he had a way of using his hands as he spoke, especially as his voice rose.

"Excuse me? I was perfectly fine. I had a fine life until you--"

"Saved your life? You would have been dead Sable!"

"And I never would have met you!"

The house was silent, you could hear a pin drop in that moment and then he shook his head, "You'd rather be dead?"

"Like you would care, you don't even know me"

"No..." he shrugged, "I don't, but don't tell me that I'm afraid of my feelings when you don't know me either. And don't tell me I wouldn't care"

He turned quickly on his heel and left the house, slamming the door shut behind him. She closed her eyes and sighed, going back into the bedroom and falling down on the bed.

--

Clint sat down in front of Natasha and she let out a sigh of relief, "I'm glad you answered this morning, what happened last night?"

He ran over the previous night in his head and then shook his head, "Lost my phone, found it this morning"

She raised an eyebrow, "I'm trained to know when you're lying, why do you even try?"

He sighed, "Because maybe I'll actually fool you sometime"

She smirked, "Never worked, never will. But I won't pry"

"So where are we at? You've been watching them for a while?"

She nodded, "It seems like they're pretty content here. They won't be leaving for a while, we have a shot, but we need to take it soon. I'm sure it won't be long before they track her whereabouts again. She can't go far, they will recognize her"

Clint nodded, "They won't touch her"

"Where is she now?"

"Back at the house, locked up tight. I'm going straight back"

"Be careful, you just never know what they're up to. Even if we do track their every move"

They spoke for an hour, strictly business. Planned their next moves.

"Talk to her" Natasha said before getting into her car, "She can't hate you forever"

She didn't let him respond, because she knew she was right, and she got into her car, disappearing around the corner. He climbed into his car and got back to the house. He unlocked the door and panicked when he saw the entire house out of place. Plates, pictures, everything was everywhere. But it was obvious they didn't find what they were looking for and left quickly.

He drew out his gun and cleared the house, unable to find Sable anywhere, until he heard a noise in the basement. He went down the stairs quietly and carefully, his gun out front. There was noise behind the dryer and then a gasp, he knew it was her.

"Sable"

She stood up slowly and then grabbed onto Clint's arm, "It was them" she said, "They were here"

"How did you--"

She shook her head, "I was in the kitchen when I heard the door bust open. I knew it wasn't you so I ran to the basement as quickly and quietly as I could. They couldn't hear me the way they were smashing the house to pieces. I hid here and they never came down, I don't know why. I thought they were gone until you came in, thinking it was them again I came back down. I know I'm stronger than that, but I wasn't prepared, I wasn't--"

"You're never prepared" he replied, "It's always unexpected"

"They would have killed me"

He let out a breath and shook his head, "I would never let that happen. But we have to leave, they know where you are...somehow"

"Larry?" she said, "Do you think--"

He nodded, "It's the only shot we have. We have to get it out of him"

"If he knows who we are...he'll come prepared, someone will be out there" Clint started pacing and you could tell his mind was racing, "We have to trap him, without making it obvious. He doesn't know that we know that he knows"

She nodded, "You're right. But he knows we will figure out soon, when we see the house as it is"

A lightbulb went on in his head, "Maybe we can make it look like we aren't who he thinks we are. We need to play our roles perfect, so even he second guesses himself"

"It's risky"

"It might work"

"Call the cops, it will look like a break in. Well, we need to make it look like a break in"

"They didn't take anything though..."

He sighed, "You're right, tv and computer are all still here. We'll get Natasha and get them to bring in a few others to pose. It might be enough"

Sable shook her head, "It's sloppy and unconvincing Clint"

"It's the best I can do with what time we have right now Sable"

"I have another idea"

"What?"

"I need you to hit me"

His eyes widened and he shook his head, "No! Why?"

"It can look like I was assaulted, we can call the cops. When Larry sees that I'm here, and alive, maybe he'll think that I'm not the one they're looking for. Plus, all Larry knows of me is my picture. If that..."

"I'm not going to hit you"

"You know it could work. Plus, it will be less of a spectacle"

"They'll know they didn't touch you Sable when Larry reports back"

"How can you not believe it?" she asked, "I'll have the cuts and bruises to prove it. Just because they say they didn't--"

"It's risky"

She shrugged, "So is your idea, but this one is less trouble"

"I won't hit you Sable"

"It gives us some extra time"

"I won't"

"Trust me, I'll understand Clint. You don't mean it. Plus, I know you're frustrated, let it out. I can handle it"

He shook his head and sighed, "I don't like this"

She moved closer to him and then pushed him, "Do you need some help?" she pushed him again, "Cause I can piss you off. I already did it once"

"Stop it"

She shook her head, "Make me" she pushed him again and now he was against the wall. She reached her hand up but he grabbed her by the wrist and she smirked, "Did it work?" he flipped her around and pushed her against the wall, her wrist still in his hand, "I'm not hitting you" he said, "We'll figure out another way"

He stood there, keeping her against the wall, fighting off every urge to let his emotions take over again. He froze and she didn't know what to do, because she knew how he felt, and how he didn't want to do this anymore.

"If you're not going to kiss me, I suggest you get out of my way, cause I have no problem hitting you"

He was a bit surprised at her comment but he let go of her and stepped out of her way. She was a bit disappointed, because she would have had no problem with him kissing her. But she did think that maybe he was right, that maybe it was a bad idea to be involved.

She started up the stairs and didn't hear him following her, "Clint, are we going to figure this out or not?" she heard him sigh and then follow her up the stairs. He was mumbling to himself, which didn't seem out of the ordinary, she knew he battled with his head sometimes...out loud.

"We need to get out of here" Sable said, "They know where we are...and who we are"

He nodded in agreement as he met her at the top of the stairs, "We'll have to stay with Natasha, I suppose"

Sable nodded once and turned on her heel, heading upstairs to pack her things. They cleaned up the mess that was made by the intruders and left quickly. The drive to Natasha's hotel was quick, and very silent. They met Natasha in the lobby and Clint stopped to chat with her, but Sable took the key and made her way straight to the room.

"What's her problem?" she asked as they made their way down the hall.

"I think she'll be mad at me forever" he sighed.

"What did you do?"

He shook his head, "It doesn't matter. Where do we go from here? Any news?"

She shook her head, "How they knew she was in town was beyond me. The only people that knew were us and the rest of the crew. Unless they've got guys everywhere and looking for her is their main concern right now, which is hard to believe. They can't have people in every state, can they?"

"They can" Sable said as they entered the room, "They have unbelieveable connections, resources. We need to figure out where they are before they find out where we are, which they will very soon. They know I couldn't have gotten far"

"Maybe you--" he stopped abruptly as he met Sable's eyes and shook his head, "Maybe you should--" he looked over at Natasha and her eyes widened, "You guys want some food? I'll go get some food" she left the room quickly and Sable sighed, "I should do what Clint?"

"Maybe you should leave..."

She raised an eyebrow and took a step closer, "Excuse me?"

"This is worse than I thought Sable, maybe you should--"

"You don't think I can handle myself?" she asked, "Do you remember everything you said to me before we got here? You believed I could do it, when I didn't, and now you don't?"

He shook his head and moved closer to her now, "That's not what I meant, but it's getting dangerous! More than I thought it would"

"I can handle this. I will not let you get them without me. If I die it's not for lack of trying"

"You act like you're okay with dying"

She swallowed, "What else do I have after this? My father is gone, my mom is gone, I have no family, no friends, no life. I either kill them myself or they kill me"

His eyes narrowed, "Where is this coming from?"

"I don't know" she said sitting on the end of the bed, "I'm so tired Clint, which is if I do survive this and we do get them, I'm not living this life...I can't"

It did make sense to him, as much as he hated what she was saying. Although it's been a short time, it was hard to imagine her not around. Whether she was dead or alive.

Maybe he'd sleep at night if she was alive. If she was dead, how would he live with himself?

"I suppose that makes sense" he said, "I've been running around in this life for 10 years too long and somehow I can't bring myself to go, and I'm so tired. How can you live a normal life after this?"

She shrugged, "I don't know because I don't know your life, I don't know what you've been through...because you haven't told me anything"

"I've been shooting arrows since before I can remember, after my parents died..." he looked through his phone and then handed it to her, "This was me" she looked at the screen on the phone, The World's Greatest Marksman.

She looked up at him and handed him his phone, "You were in a circus as a kid?"

He nodded, "For a long time, and then I met Natasha and the rest is history"

"What's the rest?"

He shrugged, "We...we were thieves for a long time. We were good too and then we ended up on S.H.I.E.L.D's radar for a long time, in a bad way...but then they gave us a proposal, to join them, help them"

She shook her head, "Why are you all of a sudden telling me this?"

"Because you deserve to know"

"Why?"

"Because you mean something to me, so I think you should know about my past, like you told me"

Sable paused for a second and finally decided to let out exactly everything she'd been thinking since the night before, "Come with me. When we're done here we can just go"

"Go where?"

She shrugged, "Anywhere. Have a normal life"

He shook his head, "Why?"

"Because you don't need this anymore, and this life isn't cut out for me"

Natasha came through the door with a couple bags of food in her hands and dropped it on the bed. They spent the night eating and talking about everything and nothing, forgetting about their troubles for just a little while.

Althought Clint was in on the conversation, he found it difficult to concentrate after hearing Sable's proposal. Could he just leave? Could they just leave? Together?

"You still with us?" Natasha asked waving her hand in his face. He shook his head and then met Sable's eyes, "I'm good, sorry" Natasha noticed the eye contact and knew there was more going on with these two.

"I'm going to go get some ice...and water" she said standing up, "I'll be back soon" Natasha left the room once again, leaving Clint and Sable. She threw the last of the garbage in the bag and sat down on the bed, while Clint stretched out on the two chairs in the corner of the room.

"So why do you want me to come with you?" he asked. She looked over at him and shrugged, "Because you mean something to me, more than anyone else"

"Do you think I can just up and leave? Especially after everything Tasha's done for me? She saved my life, how is leaving going to repay her?"

She sighed, "Haven't you done enough? Haven't you been through enough?"

He shrugged, "I don't know if it will ever be enough"

"It was a suggestion Clint, I wasn't forcing you" she said shaking her head, "But it doesn't matter because I'm leaving with or without you"

The thought of her not being around flowed through his head again, but he fought them off this time, "Fine. Whatever you want"

He clenched his jaw and then she turned to look at him again and could see he was fighting something off, "You know I can tell when you're lying"

"Then I don't need to say what I'm really thinking, if you already know" he met her eyes again and her stomach sank. He was battling with himself, and she could see it. There was nothing she could do, only he could decide.

Natasha came in the room with nothing in her hands, "I got the other room across the hall...you guys stay here"

Clint raised an eyebrow and Sable narrowed her eyes, "Why?" she asked.

She shrugged, "Cause there's only one bed. Not enough room"

"Uh...okay" Sable replied as Natasha grabbed her bags. She left the room and left the two of them alone again.

"Does she know something?" Sable asked looking over at Clint.

He shrugged and shook his head, "I don't know"

She sighed, "Well...I'm going to shower"

He nodded, "Sure thing"

She went into the bathroom and shut the door quickly leaning against it for a moment taking a breath before turning on the water.