Status: Active! But I Need Comments!

Caving In

“Albany will you please slow down?” he yelled frantically, trying to push people out of his way in the crowded hallway to get to me.

I shook my head even though I was almost certain he hadn’t seen it through the mess of people, “Go away Matt.”

I broke away from the packed hallway and into the silent library, quickly finding a table in the back. I couldn’t hold back the tears any longer as I put my head down on my arms and shook violently, sobbing quietly. This couldn’t be happening to me. Not me. Not Albany Young. Person voted ‘Most Likely To Succeed’. How was I supposed to succeed with…this? I was 17 and not ready to do any of this!

A chair scratched against the hardwood floor next to mine. “Albany? Baby, please talk to me. You called, and I’m here. Say something,” he whispered gently, wrapping an arm around my back and rubbing my shoulder.

I didn’t answer him as I struggled to silence the sobs. What would he do when he found out? He was only, 19. He’d just graduated the year before and now was trying to get his band up off the ground. Would he leave me? No, Matt was not the kind of guy to leave someone in trouble. But would this be different? “I…I-,” sniffling, I lifted my heavy head to look him in the eyes.

“You what baby?” Matt asked, concern dripping from his voice.

“I’m pregnant,” I whispered, shifting my eyes away from his as the words left my lips.

“Whoa…what?”

I sniffled again, running my hands down my cheeks as I tried to get rid of the salty reminders. I only nodded again though, not able to say the dreadful words another time.

“You…you can’t be Allie. We…we were so careful. You can’t be,” he stuttered, shaking his head before placing it in his hands.

“I am,” I whispered again, unable to watch him react like this anymore.

He was silent for a minute, and I started to worry about all the things that could possibly be going through his head right now. He sighed, pushing his calloused hands through his dark locks. “This can’t be happening right now.”

“Matt, I…,”

“I have to go,” he mumbled quietly before pushing out of his chair and walking quickly out of the library.

I sighed as I felt the hot tears rush back down my cheeks again. My whole world was caving in.