Status: Work in Progress!

I Believe In The Finer Things & You Don't Believe In Me

She's Got You on the Tip of Your Toes

"Kate, oh my god, you'll never guess what happened!" Josh practically squealed, running up to my locker to stand in front of me. "W-what?" I asked, a smile reaching my face, can you be any more adorable?

"Thismorningigotanemailandit-" he began, talking at about a million miles a second, "Shh, s-s-slow d-down." I interrupted, unable to understand clearly. "Shit, sorry! I uh, I got an email this morning and it was from one of the manager from one of the clubs that we've been playing at and he wants us to come back, and he's going to pay us! He wants to pay us! Isn't that
crazy? It's amazing, we usually just play for free, to kind of get our name out there, but he wants to pay us!" Josh rambled excitedly, still talking rather fast.

I suppressed a laugh, biting my lip before giving a smile. This means a lot to him. This really is a big deal, this might become a full time career. "J-Josh, t-that's amazing! W-when is i-i-it?" I asked, wanting to be there to support him at his first official gig. "Next Friday! Maybe if you'd be interested I could uh, get you in for free?" he asked and I smiled, nodding; with my stutter I still preferred to speak as little as possible.

After a few seconds of staring at me. pursing his lips, he smiled and lent in, pressing a light kiss to my cheek, brushing a stray piece of hair behind my ear. It made me blush and with a shy grin Josh uttered a soft 'Sweet, I'll get on that. So uh, I'll see you period 4.' before disappearing into the sea of teens shuffling off to class.

***

On the way to my class all I could think about was Josh. We're boyfriend and girlfriend now, he's going to be asking me on a date soon, right? My first date. What if after our date he decides he's not interested in me? What if... no. Stop, don't freak yourself out over this.

"Kate?" came a worried voice, drawing my attention away from my thoughts as I realized that I had found my way to my first class: American Civics. I looked to my right, seeing no one there, so I tried my left, startled by the face of none-other than Chris Miller, one of Josh's closest friends.

Unintentionally I gasped softly, startled, laughing it off nervously when I realized that it was just him. He offered a friendly smile, trying not to laugh at my reaction. I smiled, waving, "You s-sc-sca-scared m-me." I confessed, speaking quietly. I didn't want anyone else to hear me, or else it'd be big news. Probably make headlines.

MUTE GIRL FINALLY SPEAKS

"Hey, I um, I just got switched into this class. Would you mind if I sat next to you? I don't really know anybody else here." he asked, also quiet. I knew he was shy, I just didn't realize that he was this shy. When he was hanging out at Josh's it was like a whole other side of him came out. His friends brought him out of his shell.

I nodded, feeling awkward. He's not expecting us to have a conversation, right? I can't. Not here. Not with all these people around. It's bad enough speaking in front of one person, never mind a room full of people that I don't know. Should I explain? No. He'll understand.

He was silent for the rest of class, and my mind was wandering back to Josh. How did someone like me wind up with someone like him? He was flawless in every way, and I was just... Me, I guess. I'm the girl with the stutter. The freak. 'That Weird Kid Who Doesn't Talk' according to half of the school. What does he see in me?
♠ ♠ ♠
guISE, THEIR FIRST DATE IS COMING UP REAL QUICK, OMG. Probably tomorrow. I am so sorry for not updating! I'm going to try and update every weekend now!

Thank you to saveredheads, xXxpeebeejayxXx, OETF-BVB-BMTH-girl, d-o-c-t-o-r-w-h-0, & Stuart Richardson. Your comments make my day! Please comment/subscribe/rec/etc., and I'll try to update tomorrow! Thanks so much for supporting this story so far! Oh, also, thank you so much for my new rec!