Status: Work in Progress!

I Believe In The Finer Things & You Don't Believe In Me

Everything's Alright Tonight

"Kate, you've got to press X! The- no! No! The blue one, not the green one!" Dan was shouting at me, "Josh, hit Y! Y you asshole! Y you fucking bastard, she's going to kill you. You son of a bitch, what the fuck are you thinking?!" Max egged on Josh, and the pressure was driving me crazy, but the fun I was having overpowered it all.

Josh, his friends, and I had gotten into a heated round of video games, and right now it was Josh vs me. All of the guys were shouting as loud as they could giving us directions on how to play this game: it was one that Matt had brought over, and neither of us had played it before. "H-h-how d-does..." I trailed off, pressing the blue button as instructed and my character on the TV screen jammed a sword right through Josh's character's back.

I looked over at him with wide eyes, nervous that he'd be mad, but when I turned to him I saw that we practically wore the same expression. He was utterly shocked, but that look soon morphed into a smile. "How the hell did you do that?" he asked, amazed, and despite the commotion the guys were making his attention stayed fixed on me. It sparked butterflies in my stomach. I had never been one to hold anyone's attention, but Josh's eyes stayed put on mine.

"I-I list-tened t-to D-D-D-Dan." I replied simply, and he chuckled softly, mindlessly passing
the controller to Max who was sitting beside him and shuffling closer to me on the couch. I decided to hand my controller off to Chris who was looking rather bored off on the sidelines, and I turned back to face Josh.

He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me a bit closer, "Told you that they'd love you." he said into my ear, and I smiled sheepishly, feeling a bit dumb for not believing him in the first place. I leaned into his side a bit, "You're s-sure t-that they l-li-like me?" I asked hesitantly, and he chuckled. "No. I just said it for the shits and giggles." he said sarcastically but playfully, nuzzling his head into the top of my own. "Of course they like you." he answered seriously and both of our eyes fixed on the TV screen and our ears focused on the conversation around us.

Josh and I stayed cuddled up for a few rounds, and it was weird to finally be able to publicly act with him like this. I had never had a best friend, let alone a boyfriend, and now I'm in my boyfriend's basement with four of his best friends. My life was seriously impacted by Josh in the best way possible. As I stopped my racing thoughts I realized that Matt and Dan were playing, shouting at the top of their lungs.

"Oi! Shit-bag, what do you think you're doing? That's cheating!" Dan argued and Matt gave off a cheeky grin, his eyes still fixed on the television. "Is not." he protested and his childish comment sprung a few laughs, "You're screen peaking, you fucker! That is cheating!" Dan persisted and once the match had ended, things turned into an all-out brawl. Dan and Matt were rolling around the floor, throwing punches, and I was no longer sure if they were still joking around.

"Oi, boys!" Josh called out, trying to catch their attention but it took a few tries before both Dan and Matt faced him. "Calm down. Whatever happened to making a good impression?" Josh asked calmly and Max giggled childishly, slowly escalating into a loud laugh.

Everyone was staring at him as if he had two heads before he raised his hand and placed it at the bottom of his chin as if it were a beard and wiggled his fingers. "Davy Joneeeees!" he hollered before laughing again and the guys all smiled at the friends foolishness, shaking their heads. I turned back to face Josh and the look on my face must've told him everything.

"It's this dumb thing he does. It's kind of like when someone gets 'dissed', but instead of saying 'burn' he does that dumb thing." he clarified, and I smiled at the explanation, laughing slightly. "C-creative." I complimented, looking over at Max and he was still making the dumb hand motion, laughing to himself. Josh chuckled, "Come on lads, let's play another round." Josh encouraged, sitting up a little straighter before relaxing against the back of the couch.

"I want to play!" Chris stated but the two controllers were already in Max and Matt's hands. "Too bad." Dan said harshly, a little tinge to his voice that let me know he did actually feel a bit bad for his friend. Suddenly something sparked in my mind and I copied Max's hand movement from earlier, holding my fingers out and wiggling them, "D-Davey J-J-Jones!" I cheered, my voice at a medium level so that everyone could hear me and the boys all turned to look at me, looking quite shocked.

I could practically feel the color rush to my cheeks and Josh laughed in disbelief, kissing the top of my head lightly, "You are perfect." he commented, his voice soft so that only I could hear him. "I approve!" Max announced loudly, "Can I have one?" his follow up sentence asked and a few smiles were sparked. "I agree, I approve. She's cool." Chris said quietly and soon the whole group seemed to like me more. Maybe I should act in a spur of the moment sense more often.

My cheeks had darkened with what Josh had whispered to me and I basically buried my head into his chest, embarrassed. "Oi, on to the game. She's a bit shy." Josh said and the guys listened, staring up another round and talking amongst themselves as I stayed burrowed into Josh's chest, his arms holding me in place.

When the anxiety of them staring at me faded I straightened out, sitting up higher so that I was back up at Josh's level. Our faces were close due to the limited space on the couch with three more people than it was meant to fit, and he smiled down at me. "Hi." he greeted me and his blue eyes seemed to captivate me as I stated right back, unable to look away. "H-H-H-Hi-Hi." I repeated, stammering, and he chuckled.

"Are you alright, love?" he asked after a short pause, sounding concerned, "What d-d-d-do you m-me-mean?" I questioned, confused. "Like, are you alright? The guys don't make you uncomfortable, do they?" he clarified and I shook my head. "Okay, good. Don't be afraid to tell me if they do, though. Okay?" He asked and I nodded. It was strange having someone other than my mom caring about me like this, but at the same time it was also really sweet.

"Can we order a fucking pizza?" Matt's voice came, making me turn my head. "We already ate." Dan stated and Matt wasn't fazed, "So...?" he asked, and I laughed. Second dinner? That doesn't sound half bad.

These guys were actually pretty cool.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, there's more info about the 'Davy Jones' thing in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPSO_8-X4Cs

It's where I got the idea from, and if you haven't seen any of the videos on that channel before then you should definitely check them out! I'm not trying to force you or anything, just a friendly suggestion. :)

**

Alright, so I've tried posting this about three times, but it keeps getting deleted once I'm halfway through with it. (edit: Just kidding, it'd upload but it would have the wrong title and everything, so I ended up posting it three times so I just deleted the other two, sorry for any confusion, I really have no clue how to use this website!) I apologize if it's not too good, I've re-written it over and over and I'm too frustrated to do much better than this. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of this chapter.

I want to sincerely say I'm sorry for not updating in so long. I had a bit of a writer's block, so I'm trying my best to fight through it. I'm already working on the next few chapters, so hopefully I'll have them up soon.

Thank you to saveredheads, & d-o-c-t-o-r-w-h-o for your lovely comments! seriously, your comments are what gave me the encouragement to update. Your comments are always so sweet! Thank you for reading/commenting/subscribing/etc.! I love you guys, and I'll do my best not to let you down in the future!