Treading Among the Stars

Prologue

Footsteps pounded on the forest floor and shouts went up in the warm night air. If not listening close enough, it almost sounded a part of the rhythm of the casual night.

He knew better.

They were looking for him. They were always looking for him. It wouldn’t be hard to fake death though. He’s done it before. He could do it again. It wouldn’t be difficult at all—especially with semi-intelligent beings after him.

Intelligence would always remain with him, even when he walked on all fours, shrunk to the size of a cat, and sprouted animal fur along his body. He had never been veracious of where he had come from and no one had ever asked. They would never think the impossible—would never think that he, in fact, did not begin out as one of them. They all thought he was different, but they didn’t know how far that went. They thought he was an outsider. They didn’t know how his mind was different. Shattered, even.

He breathed shallowly, devising of ways to strike back in full force. He had failed alone; he thought he would. He needed minions to support him: mindless soldiers to build his army. He would tear through them all.

First, he needed to escape.

Damn, he thought bitterly. I could be out of here if I killed her faster.

A low rumble echoed in the black sky, signaling a thunderstorm. He glanced down at the body of a she-cat laid below him, blood decorating her chest and her eyes open forever in a look of betrayed horror. A twinge of regret passed him, but it was gone quicker than it came.

Once he was finished with OWS, he would find a real mate and leave this behind him forever.

This was just a mission.

Lightning streaked across the sky, bathing the small clearing in an eerie light. Thunder roared, and the first drops of rain began to descend from the dark clouds that blocked the stars from view. Then the storm grew, the drops falling faster and louder until every scent was washed away by the rain. He caught sight of his reflection in the draining blood when lightning flashed again.

This was just a mission.

He would succeed.

No one would stop him.

No one would dare to.

A whisper echoed in the night sky—obscured by the dark clouds. The old prophecy was rising, and a new one would soon take its place. The oldest prophecy that was thought to be lost through the eons was recited along with the thunder.

…Bring the moon to our sacred place a quarter after her arrival…
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't update on Mibba since forever and I decided "hey, why not?" one day because some people were telling me to update stories here.

Anyway, the older version was scrapped (even though the plotline for the newer one is basically the same but with alterations). So here's the prologue of the new (and hopefully final) version!