Status: Active

Young Love

Chapter Three

As soon as he stepped into the room it was like my blood turned to ice but even so, my heart started beating like a Metallica song. It was like everything else just disappeared as soon as I looked into his dark green eyes. The first thought that passed through my mind was: Wow, I never knew eyes could be that green! How is that even possible?

I watched, as if in slow motion as he walked up to me. I couldn’t breath; I couldn’t remember how to. The world seemed to start spinning again when he spoke.

“Hello, you must be the new intern,” he said with a smile, looking at me. Breath, Cali, breath!

“Uh-huh,” I managed to say. My eyes were probably bulging out of my head right now.

“I’m Logan Stevenson, nice to meet you,” he said, holding out his hand, and it took all I could muster not to faint. After a few second he awkwardly pulled his hand back.

“Or not,” he mumbled. Suddenly I saw a hand stretched out to him with a name tag. I looked to my left in surprise and saw Emily. I forgot she was even there…

“Thank you, Emily,” he said with a smile, then turned to me. “Well, see you later.” I watched as he turned and walked to the elevator. As soon as the doors closed in front of him I gasped for air, suddenly remembering to breath.

Even though he was gone I could still remember his face, everything. He had the greenest eyes, and that’s what stood out in my mind, but there were other distinguishing features about him. He had intense eyes, they had a hard look to them that just seemed to drill a hole in anything he looked at. He had a well chiseled jaw line and cheekbones with a start of a beard an mustache that looked like it hadn't been shaved in a couple days. He had shaggy brown hair that could almost pass for black if you looked at it in the right light. He looked between 23 and 25, even though he had flecks of gray in his hair, but mom said her hair started to gray when she was only twenty. Even though every part of him seemed almost perfect, it was his eyes that kept me captivated; when I looked into them for the first time it was like I felt a deep connection with him. Like I was seeing a long lost friend for the first time in years.

“Oh my…” I gasped as I fell back into my chair.

“Cali, are you Ok?” Emily asked frantically, turning to me with a worried expression.

“I…I don’t know…” I said, trying to figure out what just happened. It was like everything else faded away and the only thing that mattered anymore was him.

“Do I need to call the hospital?” she asked.

“No, I’m…I’m fine now,” I said, even though it was far from the truth. It was like my whole view of the world had changed just from one glance at this man. I looked back at the elevator which he’d disappeared into.

“Who was he?” I asked, looking back up at Emily.

“That was Logan. He works in the Biotech lab,” she answered, the worried expression never leaving her face.

“Are you sure you’re-” she started to ask again, when suddenly a grin spread over her face. “Oh, I get it!”

“What?” I asked, confused.

“You like him,” she said with a smirk.

“I do not!” I said defensively, but I could feel my face turning red as I said it. Emily laughed.

“Cali, it’s ok if you do. Most of the girls here think he’s kinda cute,” she said seriously, then she got a joking expression on her face. “He’s sexy and he knows it.”

I laughed at that, but I knew she was wrong. This wasn’t just a mere crush, I knew what that felt like. This was like a crush magnified by 1,000, and I knew it wasn’t about to go away anytime soon.

I stayed until the early afternoon, but I wanted to see Logan again, so I hung out with Emily even after my shift was over.

“Hoping to see Logan again?” she asked, but I pretended to not hear her question. At six a group of scientists emerged from the elevator, talking and laughing amongst themselves. Logan was with them. As he passed he waved goodbye to me, or maybe it was Emily-but I hoped it was me.

Image


The next day I got there in the early morning again for my shift and this time Julie was sitting at the desk.

“Hey, Calissta,” she greeted me, then reached forward and grabbed a stack of paper. “Hey, can you deliver these papers to the scientists in Biotech lab on the third floor, room 316?”

“Sure,” I said as I took the papers and headed for the elevator. I punched in the third floor and as I waited I flipped through the papers she’d handed to me. They had the names of the scientists and their information as well as some of their observations on genetic engineering. Each one had a picture of the themselves at the top of the page. I read through the paper for a minute until the elevator dinged, signaling we’d reached the third floor. I quickly put the papers back in the order I’d found them as I walked down the long hallway. It was a good thing Emily gave me a tour, otherwise this might be a lot harder.

I followed the way she’d taken me only a couple days ago, counting the numbers on the doors as I passed. When I arrived at room 316 I peeked in and was surprised to see no one was in there. I shrugged. Well, it was a Sunday, and it was early in the day too. I opened the door and walked in.

All sorts of test tubes-filled with genes, no doubt-lines the walls, and like the other rooms, inspirational posters adorned the upper parts of the walls. In the middle of the room was a long metal table and scattered around the room, chairs. I walked up to the desk and tossed the papers onto the desk and cringed when some of them fell off the table while other slid down to the other end. I let out a sigh as I went to pick up the papers. I was about to pick up a paper when something caught my eyes. Something very green and familiar. I turned to see a paper on one of the scientists. Logan Stevenson. My curiosity got the best of me and I picked up the paper, scanning the information given on him.

Name: Logan Anthony Stevenson

Height: 5’11’’

Weight: 140 lbs.

Birthdate: December 23rd, 1976-

Wait, 1976?! I quickly did the math in my head, then shook my head. No, that couldn’t be right…because then that would mean…that would mean…he was 36! My eyebrows furrowed in surprise.

He certainly didn’t look that old! Maybe 30 at the latest, and sure, he had a few gray hairs…but still! I could feel my stomach dropping when I realized he was 18 years older than me. He was twice my age! Then I scowled as I picked the paper up and threw it onto the table. Why did I care? It’s not like I ever had a shot with him anyways. I was just a lousy intern, he was a big-shot biology scientist, and besides, he was probably married too. But I don’t remember seeing a band on his hand…

I quickly snatched the paper off of the table again and scanned it, but to my dismay it didn’t provide his current status. I almost wanted to smack myself on the forehead. Of course it didn’t! This was a professional workplace, not Facebook! Why would they care what his relationship status was?

I quickly picked up the rest of the paper and tried to organize them, even though I was far too distracted to do so. When they were finally all picked up I strolled towards the door. Just as I reached for the door it opened and I jumped back with a startled scream. I looked up to see Logan standing there, a startled expression on his face too.

“Oh, you nearly gave me a heart attack Calissta!” he explained with a slightly chuckle. My eyes narrowed suspiciously.

“How do you know my name?” I demanded as I looked at his left hand. I was right, there was definitely no wedding band there…so did that mean he was single? Or was he in a dating relationship? My mind swirled with question and I barely noticed when he answered me.

“Your nametag,” he said, and I looked up at him in confusion. “Your nametag, that’s how I know your name.” He pointed at the clip-on nametag I’d forgotten about already.

“Oh, of course,” I said quickly, feeling stupid. I looked up into his green eyes and felt myself slowing losing my mind.

“Uh, sorry about yesterday…” I started, trying to break my gaze from his. It wasn’t working. His eyes were like magnets, I wouldn’t be released from them until they looked away. “I…uh, I had a sudden asthma attack.” I wanted to kick myself in the head. That was the stupidest, most unbelievable excuse ever! To my surprise Logan nodded understandingly.

“Yeah, I had those when I was a kid. Are you feeling better now?” he asked with concern in his eyes. I nodded weakly before he turned his gaze to the table, then back to me.

“What were you doing here anyways?” he asked.

“Those papers on the table, I was delivering to them here,” I managed to explain, and he nodded.

“Ah, well I’ll let you get back to your internship. Have a nice day,” he said with a smile, and I couldn’t help but return it.

“You too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I hope this makes up for the last two, very short, chapters. It’s finally starting to pick up, or at least it is for me. The chapters should be getting longer now.

Oh, and in case you didn’t notice, I added a character page. I’ve only added the three most important characters, and quite frankly, I’m not too pleased with the ‘Shirley Black’ picture. I imagined her as a more mature, older looking Calissta with a couple of wrinkles around her mouth from smiling. Maybe her hair a little lighter, and definitely different looking than Calissta, but the same, in a way. Eh, I hope that makes sense. Anyways, I love the pictures I found for Calissta and Logan, they were exactly how I imagined them. And just so you know, those are the only characters I’ll be adding. I won’t be adding one for Madeline because honestly, she’s so unique I won’t be able to find anyone who looks exactly like her, so I’ll leave her appearance up to your imaginations. And as for the other characters, well, they’re up to your imagination as well. =)

Last, but certainly not least, I’d like to thank my three subscribers. You guys give me the motivation to keep writing this, so thanks! =D