Status: Active

Chase Away the Darkness

Promise

The merch booth was no joke.

When two o’clock rolled around I was happy to go on lunch. Damn did teenagers have attitude. No wonder people quit this job. Hanna and I walked to catering. It was still silent between us seeing as we didn’t get time to talk over those whiny hormonal girls. I was hoping it stayed that way. I was starting to feel sick over talking about Tony or even thinking about him for that matter.

We got in line for food. Everything looked disgusting. Bands weren’t exaggerating when they say they say how gross catering can get. This was making me even sicker than before so I just settled on a salad. Might as well keep this new figure up while I have it. We sat down on an empty table and ate. Still no words were exchanged between Hanna and I.
Lunch was over and we walked back to the tent. The band was there still signing memorabilia. We started working again, minding our own business when...

“Ew,” I heard a girl whisper loud enough so I can here, “so it’s true these ugly girls are working the merch booth.”

I took a look back at the line of fans and there was a girl no older than 16 staring at Hanna and I. Her and her friend were dressed inappropriately for their age and had too many colored hair extensions. She continued talking as if we weren’t there.

“Yeah right merch girls more like groupies,” she said.

They both started laughing. Oh hell no I’m too old for this shit. High School was over for me years ago. I got up to go give them a piece of my mind but Dave held me back.

“It’s not worth it. I heard everything she said. I’ll go kick them out of line,” he said
He walked up to them. “Excuse me girls but you have to leave,” he said. As they left they were shouting every obscene word against woman in the book.

When our shift ended we headed to main stage to watch the band perform. This time I’ll be watching on the sidelines, something many fans dream of doing. As the band played their intro the crowd went nuts. I even got goose bumps. They began their set with “The boy who could fly.” I got excited since it was my favorite song from them. I admire the boys for playing with so much soul. They always perform like if it’s the last set they will ever play. I lost all thought of what I was doing and I began to sing along as if I was just another fan girl who was standing out in the crowd. I was another fan girl just one that got lucky enough to work for them for the summer.

I must have looked ridiculous jumping up and down and screaming my head off because Tony looked and me and smiled. Oh no that adorable smile. I turned red. He went back to running around on stage and I just stood their embarrassed. For the rest of their set I tried to contain myself and just stuck to just lip singing.

After the show the band had another party in the bus. To say the truth I didn’t even want to be around people. I had a rough first day, but of course Mike convinced Hanna and I to party again. When I was starting to feeling buzzed I decided to go outside to get fresh air. As soon as I walked out I regretted my idea. Tony was sitting down on a plastic chair smoking a cigarette. I was about to walk back inside the bus but Tony saw me.

“Hey,” was all he said. I didn't even know he smoked

“Hi,” I said and I just stood frozen not sure what to do.

“Want one?” he offered handing me a cigarette. I usually didn’t smoke but I didn’t want to be rude or seem like a prude so I took it out of his hands.

“Sure thanks,” I said. I sat down on the only other chair that was conveniently empty and next to Tony.

“I normally don’t smoke but I’m kind of stressed at the moment,” said Tony, “ I borrowed these from Mike.”

I’d bet on a million bucks it was his fiancé who was stressing him out.

“Oh,” I said.

“You look like you needed one too, I’m assuming merch was crazy today,” he stated. For being the shiest of the four band members, he sure talked more than I thought. Maybe it was just the alcohol. Yeah probably liquid courage. It does that to normally quiet people.

“Horrible,” I said truthfully. He smiled

“Yeah, I saw what happened at the signing today,” said Tony, “Those girls were pretty harsh on you guys.”

Oh god, I thought only Hanna and Dave knew about that. I got embarrassed again. I tried laughing it off to seem cool.

“Yeah, I think if Dave didn’t hold me back I probably would’ve been fired already,” I said laughing.

Tony busted into laughter too. Yes! It was working. I’m not a total idiot.

“Yeah, they’re only kids I think you would’ve been arrested for beating them up,” he said, “even though they were total brats and deserved it. Don’t let that stuff get to you fans will be mean no matter what. Even the one’s your age.”

“So why are you stressed?” I asked being bravely.

“Just being away from home gets me all jittery and anxious, I usually am like this the first few days but it’ll go away,” he said.

I don’t know if he was lying to me or not. Hey maybe it was true, maybe he was homesick and had girlfriend problems at the same time. He just wasn’t sharing the girlfriend part.

After that we were silent and both of us had already finished our cigarettes. While I was thinking of something else to say Hanna came out of the bus.

“Oh, there you …” she didn’t finish her sentence when she saw who was there with me.

“Mickey. Bus. Now,” she said with a harsh tone. I knew that tone. She was pissed off. She stormed to our bus.

“Well bye,” I told Tony. He looked really confused on what was going on.

“Okay bye,” he said.

I got up to leave and then he spoke again.

“Oh and Mickey” he said

“Yeah?” I asked

“You looked ridiculous on stage today,” said Tony

I got red with embarrassment again

“It was pretty cool,” he said smiling

I didn't know what else to say so I walked away and headed towards the small bus. I was scared to go in there. I felt like a five year old getting punished by her mother. When I walked in there was Hanna with both hands on her hips looking really mad.

“Well, what’s up?” I asked Hanna

“You know exactly what’s up. We haven’t even talked about what you heard this morning and you are already having a conversation with him,” yelled Hanna.

“Well I wasn’t aware that I wasn’t supposed to,” I said, “I can’t just ignore him Hanna, we basically work for him!”

She softened up her mad expression.

“Look I just don’t want you to get hurt! You’re my best friend. I can’t bear to see you getting into more heartbreak when you haven’t completely got over Sam yet,” She explained.

“Don’t worry Hanna I won’t. I already know that there is no way in hell anything will happen between Tony and I. He’s engaged. End of story,” I said.

“Promise me then, no funny business. You’re crush for Tony will not become more than that,” she said.

“I promise,” I told her.

Too bad I suck at keeping promises.
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't like the previous drafts I had made so I decided to start from scratch.

I hope you guys like it

Comment/Feedback

XOXO