Macbeth M'love.

HellYea.

Linn Reindl
Period 4
Mrs. Ray

The theme of guilt is very prevalent in Macbeth. There are many instances where this is shown, from Macbeths seeing an imagined dagger, his visions of the dead Banquo, and then on to Lady Macbeths sleep walking and imagined distress, all the way to her sudden guilt-powered death. It is not only a theme, but a moral that guilt can drive you to madness.

In the scene where Macbeth is enacting the plan of murder on king Duncan, he sees a dagger floating in the air and showing him the way to his future destiny. This spooks him thoroughly, but he fails to heed the warning. His guilt is already beginning to eat at him and he’s starting to lose his mind, even in this scene before the murder is even committed. As the story develops, be and his wife, begin to get even worse with their guilt. It eats at their hearts, and pushes them even farther into the land of insanity.

My second point, comes where Macbeth has murdered Banquo. His guilt from killing Duncan seems to have subsided, but his mind his withering to that of someone who doesn’t even resemble the valiant man that Macbeth appears to be at the beginning of the story. Guilt seems to be less in this part, because Macbeth has no problem killing again to keep his throne. But, the theme of guilt resurfaces at a dinner party when Macbeth begins having visions of his old friend whom he had murdered (and possibly participated in the murder of.) The guests are all shocked by his actions, but none can be explained because if they were brought to light, not only would their loyal servants and friends see them as the monsters they’ve become, but the guilt would come to light.

The last point I have to make, is Lady Macbeths descent into madness. First, she as conniving and was the main reason the Macbeth went through with killing Duncan. She was the one who devised the plan, she even fixed his mistakes (the mistakes made, once again due to guilt) and made the guards look guilty. It seemed that she was cold hearted about the situation, and didn’t understand why her husband was being so cold and aloof after getting the kingship. But, then, her inner turmoil began as well. It really began to show when she was witnessed by her maid girl sleep-walking and washing an invisible blood stain from her hands. This “blood-stain” was surely a mental stain that seemed to be a physical stain as a concentration of her guilt. The fact that the deeds they committed continue to eat away at her, is the facts of her untimely death, which Macbeth barely mourns as he has lost all sense of humanity at this point.

The pain they caused themselves by ignoring the sense of morality they had at the beginning of this book, and eventually caused them to see their final demise. The deaths of the two were indirectly caused by their guilt, in the fact that guilt drove Lady Macbeth to depression, and death, while it drove Macbeth to a false sense of strength and security, which also lead to his death.
♠ ♠ ♠
ROAR. THIS SHOULDNT BE HERE. BUT IT IS. YEA. O_O;