Macbeth M'love.

Tobi-CNF

A Being Unknown

Sleep, so far away yet so close, too close. I don't want to sleep, I'm too frightened of what might appear in my dreams, or should I say, what might appear in my nightmares. Last night wasn't the first, nor do I think it will be the last, it was horrible, the worst it's ever been. Invading my dreams like a silent creature out for blood, my blood, to feed its aching stomach.

[Flashback]

It's Saturday, 2:46 a.m., my neck is stiff from staring at the T.V. for so long, I can't help it, I don't want to sleep, it's torture. But it's too late, I'm dozing, I can feel the heaviness in my eyes, it's taking over, sleep is coming, but it's not comforting, not like it used to be.

Darkness, an abyss of nothing, so dark I can't even see the hand in front of my face. In the next second I'm transported into my parents' bedroom, I hear something rustling around in the closet, as I start to approach the door it begins to rattle and shake, so much so that I fear the hinges will come off the frame. The sounds of someone, or something, is coming from inside, it's angry. The breathy panting, almost grunt-like noises tip me off to that fact.

Loud, louder, loudest, the animalistic cries force me to cover my ears and curl into a ball on the bed. But no matter what it's still in my head, the screeching, next comes the scratching of what sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Whatever it is, it has claws and is definitely not human, and then it all stops.

Silence. Relief. Fear. Not knowing what's in that tiny room, I slowly make my way off the bed, as soon as my feet hit the floor the door is slammed open. Putting my arms up for protection, I expect to be attacked by some sort of animal. After standing there for at least 30 seconds, I look up and find nothing, nothing in the closet, nothing in the room, just nothing, absolutely no sign of anything being there with me.

Feeling a slight breeze and looking around, there's no explanation for it, there's no window open, nothing, no reason for there to be a breeze. Bam! It's as if someone ran me over with a truck, the force of the blow was enough to knock me back three feet and onto the bed. Something was pinning me down, leaving everything immobile except for my head, but there was so much pressure I could barely even lift that up. I searched as best I could for anything that would help me, and that's when I saw it.

The mist, not really in the shape of anything, it was more like smoke from a burnt piece of paper, sort of rolling, floating, and twirling around like a ballerina , and not really going in any general direction. Then it completely stopped, but only for a moment, that was when it started coming right at me, one giant mass of white, getting closer to the bottom left corner of the bed. It started reaching out, forming the shape of a hand with long boney fingers and sharp talons for nails.

Fog, that's what it ended up looking like, with an arm that was now reaching towards my left leg. The touch of it felt like a thousand razor blades slicing through my flesh, I wanted to scream, but then I realized that's what it wanted. It wanted me to scream so it could feed that much more off my fear, not that it needed that extra little push, I was already afraid, terrified really. It continued running its icy sharp fingers from just above my left knee to where my ribs began. I could feel they were deep, it was dark but there was just enough light for me to see the dark liquid that I knew was blood stain and soak through my lightly colored shorts and shirt, which now had three long strips cut into each item. There was so much dripping down my side it started soaking into the blankets beneath me, I lay in a pool of my own blood, the end is near.

Whatever that thing was, mist, fog, smoke, it was hovering above me now, blood dripping from it's so called 'hand'. It was getting closer to me, like a giant blanket wrapping itself around the edges of the bed. With that things first touch, the bed starts to shake underneath me, so much it's starting to tilt and fly up in the air, like a fish flopping around on land. The hand was still descending getting closer and closer to my face, I screamed as loud as I could, forgetting my previous thoughts and just thinking, hoping my screams would maybe distract it long enough so I could think up an escape plan. That made it worse, it grabbed my hair ripping some out in the process, the pain was too much, with my side bleeding and my hair being ripped out I close my eyes and wait for the end to come.

It never did, when the pain disappeared I opened my eyes to see my bedroom, relieved that the nightmares over, until I realize the beds still shaking. There wasn't anything I could do, too petrified to get out of bed, I lay back and wait for the shaking to cease, it took about 3 minutes, but it finally does. That's when I notice the pain, not believing it, not wanting to, sluggishly getting out of bed I turn on the light. I could already see the three bright red welts staring at me from just below the cuff on my shorts. The scratches start just above my left knee and end where my ribs begin, just like the nightmare, which was becoming all too real for me.

[End of Flashback]

Thinking back to the night before, I'm angry, furious, those things think they can invade my dreams, my life? Not anymore, I'm done, done being afraid, that's not how I want to live my life, I'm going to enjoy my sleep from now on.

That night I got the best sleep I had had in weeks, the nightmares never came back, I never let them.