Macbeth M'love.

CNF1

My eyes gaze from the bright television screen to the clock on the wall,‭ ‬7:30‭ ‬PM on a Sunday.‭ ‬There was school in the morning,‭ ‬we were still in Eklutna,‭ ‬and Dad was still asleep.‭ ‬Sighing,‭ ‬I stand,‭ ‬hopping slowly down the stairs to my‭ ‬father’s room where he has slumbered all evening undisturbed.‭ “‬Dad‭?” ‬I call into the darkness of the room.‭ ‬A chill is in the air as I said his name again,‭ ‬softly.‭ ‬At that moment I knew something was wrong,‭ ‬turning and walking ever so lightly back up the stairs to my brother.‭ “‬Ian‭…” ‬I barely‭ ‬breathe,‭ ‬collapsing back on the couch next to him,‭ “‬Ian,‭ ‬I don’t think Dad’s breathing.‭” ‬My tone sounds matter-of-fact yet shocked at the same time.‭ ‬He glances at me with a strange look in his eyes.‭
“‬What‭?” ‬but there’s a bit of urgency in his voice,‭ ‬ he’s suddenly standing and reaches the stairs in a matter of seconds.‭ ‬But I’m faster.‭ ‬My feet pound the floor as realization slowly sets in,‭ ‬something was wrong.‭ ‬Very wrong.‭ ‬I open the door and call my father again as Ian arrives at my shoulder.‭ ‬He starts to make his way into the room,‭ ‬but I hold him back.‭ ‬I’ve always felt like I needed to protect him,‭ ‬and right now that urge is overwhelming.
‭“‬Go find Granny.‭” ‬I take a deep breath,‭ ‬plunging into the cold darkness and reaching my father’s side.‭ ‬His body is splayed across the floor where he had been sleeping earlier that day,‭ ‬kneeling next to him I pat his shoulder,‭ ‬whispering‭ “‬Dad‭?” ‬No reply.‭ “‬Daddy‭?” ‬Once again,‭ ‬no reply.‭ ‬I begin shaking him more vigorously and try to contain the emotions bubbling up from somewhere deep within my being.
‭ ‬What’s going on‭?” ‬I hear my grandmother’s voice outside the room and snap back to reality.‭ “‬Dad’s not breathing,‭ ‬or moving.‭ ‬He’s‭…” ‬but I trail off.‭ ‬I won’t let that word pass through my lips.‭ ‬Not yet.
‭“‬Call your aunt.‭” ‬she says,‭ ‬after disappearing into the room.‭ ‬I retrieve the phone and bring it to her,‭ ‬watching as she calls and lets it ring,‭ ‬ring,‭ ‬ring.‭ ‬No answer.‭ ‬Again,‭ ‬she lets the phone ring,‭ ‬ring,‭ ‬ring.‭ “‬Go get her.‭” ‬I didn’t have to be told twice.‭ ‬The truth had begun setting in and I had to get out of the house,‭ ‬away from his body.‭
My legs didn’t want to work as I ran down the driveway,‭ ‬feeling a rush of pain and heartache.‭ ‬I ripped my phone from my pocket as I collapsed in a puddle of my own sorrow and tears.‭ “‬Nicole‭…‬” I whimper into the phone,‭ ‬as someone answers.‭ ‬Her stepfather,‭ ‬utterly confused by my tear-stained ramblings hands me over to her.‭
“‬Hello‭? ‬Miranda‭?” ‬confused,‭ ‬she begs me to calm down.‭
“Okay,‭ ‬okay.‭” ‬I take a deep breath.‭ “‬He’s dead Nicole.‭ ‬My Dad’s dead.‭” ‬the silence which follows is deafening.‭ ‬When she doesn’t tell me I’m wrong,‭ ‬doesn’t tell me everything’s going to be alright,‭ ‬I break.‭ ‬Tears begin flowing down my cheeks in rivers before I hang up the phone and try to stand.‭ ‬Knees shaking,‭ ‬I watch my aunt drive by racing up the driveway to her dead brother’s aid,‭ ‬and to comfort her mother.‭
“Go down to the house,‭ ‬you don’t need to be here right now‭!” ‬she calls out the window to me.‭ ‬Numb,‭ ‬I walk to her house and sit on the porch.‭
“Miranda‭?” ‬My cousin Mike steps out and lets me into the house.‭ ‬Heart aching I walk to the couch and fall to pieces.‭ ‬My heart bleeds and my tears flow and I ramble to him incessantly about being afraid.‭ ‬Afraid of my mother,‭ ‬afraid of life without a father to turn to,‭ ‬afraid of myself,‭ ‬afraid of this pain.‭ ‬So afraid.
‭ ‬Hours pass.‭ ‬The cops come.‭ ‬The medics pronounce him,‭ ‬and then take his body from us.‭ ‬Putting my father in a bag and walking out the door with his body.‭ ‬My aunt was right when she said I didn’t want to be here for this,‭ ‬but I came back anyways.‭ ‬Everything was a blur,‭ ‬a horrible,‭ ‬violently painful blur of emotion.‭ “‬I’m going to bed.‭” ‬Climbing the stairs and fleeing from everyone in Granny’s living room.‭ ‬‘A living room filled with death,‭ ‬how ironic‭’‬ I think with a morbid smirk on my face.‭ ‬It’s the first time I’ve smiled in hours.
‭ ‬Utterly exhausted,‭ ‬I collapse into the bed,‭ ‬pulling familiar smelling and soft blankets up and around my face.‭ ‬I suck in their scent,‭ ‬immediately feeling half asleep and drifting through‭ ‬the cloudy world between dreams and reality.‭ “‬Hey baby,‭ ‬how are you‭?” ‬Brenda’s voice is soft in my ears and I smile lightly.
‭“‬Sleepy.‭” ‬I mumble back.‭ ‬The world is becoming fuzzy and I feel as if it’s a dream.‭ ‬We talk,‭ ‬but the all the words are unregistered in my clouded mind.‭ ‬Sleep is near.
‭ ‬The events from that day play through my head over and over again.‭ ‬We’ve been talking for hours and he’s tired.‭ “‬Time to take a nap,‭” ‬he says with a smile,‭ “‬I love you.‭” ‬I hop up‭ ‬and hug him tightly.‭ “‬I love you,‭ ‬too,‭ ‬Daddy.‭” ‬Padding slowly towards the bottom of the stairs I wave goodnight to him and ascend to‭ ‬the room that I’m now laying in,‭ ‬sleep-like and smiling.‭ ‬I tell myself that everything was a dream.‭ ‬The whole day was nothing but another nightmare,‭ ‬another dreadful figment of my imagination.‭ ‬When I woke up it would all be alright.‭ ‬My father would be sitting at the table and he’d be alive.‭ ‬He’d be just fine.‭ ‬I smiled a little as I drifted off to sleep,‭ ‬lost in my euphoria.
‭ ‬But everything was not fine.‭ ‬I awoke the next morning and had to face reality,‭ ‬my heart sinking to the ground as it had the day before.‭ ‬I was shattered into a million pieces that would never be put back together,‭ ‬at least not in the right ways‭; ‬and I’ve never be the same.