Status: Leggooo!

The Core

One Doe; One Woman.

"If you keep stomping your feet, I'm going to kill you before the animals do," Andor hissed. The snow around was new fallen and was gently tumbling from the branches as birds flitted from each leafless branch. Taylon, having known Andor for the entirety of his life, just bit his tongue. He knew that a response would only spark an argument. Arguments were not going to get them food any faster.

Taylon shoved his arm out, stopping Andor in his journey. Ahead of them, a deer grazed at the leaves that rested on the ground. The birds fell silent as the boy stared down the smooth wood of his arrow. The sharpened stone at the edge fell level with the doe's heart. The release of the string and the whisper of air gliding alongside the flying arrow notified the deer of the incoming attack. The meaty sound echoed in the silence as the arrow made contact.

Rushing in on their prey, the boys' advance was almost soundless as they knelt on either side of the doe. "Tie her legs together and we'll come back and retrieve her. You know how the women use every part of a doe." Andor nodded as Taylon gave his orders. "Stay here; don't move; kill what you can."

In a squat, Taylon crept forward, he had seen flashes of red in the direction he was headed when they had pushed toward the deer. His heart quickened as he approached the bloody corpse hoping that the creatures that were responsible were long gone. Taylon collected his thoughts as they spiraled away from his control as he tried making sense of the scene in front of him.

Long strands of chocolate brown hair coiled messily around a beautiful girl, the color of her pale skin and hair distorted by the layer of blood. Long, scabbing ribbons of open skin covered her body and although the sight was gruesome, Taylon found it impossible to look away.

Her face was turned away from him. The places where her body was exposed because of the ruined clothing were smeared with blood. Her blood red cloak didn't seem ruined but her pants and shirt were torn into almost shreds. Without further thought, Taylon bent down beside her. Her breathing was shallow and occurred seldomly.

He brought his coat over her body, wrapping her in it gently. He covered his cloak with hers and lifted her limp body from the snow. "Andor!" he called into the brush. "Get the deer. We have to head back."

The girl weighed nothing, but Taylon found it difficult to hold her still. He was careful to touch the least amount of skin and move her the least amount possible. When he appeared in front of Andor, the other boy was securing the doe over his shoulders. "What's the ru - " he began but he stopped and stared when he saw Taylon.

"We have to hurry. I think she got attacked and she's practically dead. Besides, neither of us want to be around when the thing comes back."

Andor didn't move. "Taylon, where is she from? She doesn't look anything like our people."

"It doesn't matter, does it? She's dying. Would you rather just leave her out here?"

The other boy didn't say anything but the look in his eye expressed enough to know that Andor was only following him to get out of the cold.