Status: Leggooo!

The Core

Is There Any Cake?

It was a dismal walk as Lark and Taylon trudged back to the cabin with no food but a small quail; Lark had felt bad shooting it. She walked slowly behind Taylon and he waited patiently for her. “Tired?” he asked, holding his hand out. She grabbed it and he easily lifted her petite frame over a log.

“From all this hunting?” She said, coating her voice in sarcasm. “Oh, quite. I can’t even continue, we’ve killed so much.” They both laughed, but it was a bittersweet joke. The family would be fine for tonight, but what about tomorrow or the next week? Lark bit her lip lightly, suddenly she felt guilty. She was another mouth to feed, another body to occupy space; she was an inconvenience.

Her thoughts consumed her as they walked and Taylon was not in the mood for talking. Before long, they arrived at the house. Taylon held the door out and Lark slipped inside. Both kicked off their boots and Taylon walked towards the shower. Rhiana sat quietly on the couch, staring at the fire.

“Where is everyone?” Lark asked, positioning herself next to Rhiana. Rhiana seemingly snapped to attention, caught off guard by Lark’s presence. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you,” she commented, blushing slightly.

“It is fine, love. I was just dozing off, did you catch anything today?” She inquired. Lark heaved a heavy sigh. She told Rhiana the story of the empty forest, the loud noises that she and Taylon were making. She told of the empty bags in the corner and solemnly, pointed towards them. She even mentioned her theory of The Core’s involvement.

Rhiana was quiet for a while before finally she looked up, “Do you think they really are going to destroy us?” Lark didn’t quite know how to answer the question because she didn’t exactly know herself. The fire crackled and popped in the corner and Lark sat silently. Rhiana let out a sad chuckle. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

“I’m not sure, honestly. I know that Zorac wants to, but some people in The Core are intelligent, they see no need for it. Most of the people in The Core, however, will bend to Zorac’s will because they are just his little puppets,” Lark explained, shrugging. Rhiana
nodded slowly and her hands encircled her large stomach.

“What will they do with you?” Rhiana asks her.

Lark shrugged again. She honestly had no idea if they had even figured out that she was alive. She looked over at Rhiana. “If they come here, I’ll be taken back to The Core and disposed of or severely punished so I can return to my position. Both aren’t particularly pleasant,” Lark answered, wincing slightly.

“You should leave,” Rhiana said to her. Lark went to move slowly off the couch. Rhiana’s arm flew out to catch her leg. She chuckled, “No. I mean you should leave Palimea if it gets too bad.” Lark blushed, embarrassed with her stupidity. She had never thought of leaving Palimea. In fact, she had never thought of anything past arriving at Palimea. She wasn’t exactly the best planner in the world; she worked a little bit off of intuition.

“Yes, I suppose I could do that. But, I owe you all so much. I don’t think I could leave like that,” Lark added, shrugging uncomfortably. She probably sounded incredibly cliché, but she judged everything she said very harshly. The pipes were creaking as Taylon’s shower continued on for far too long.

Rhiana smiled, “That’s sweet, dear. Can I be honest?” She asked and Lark nodded in response. “I want you to leave if it gets too bad. I want you to leave with Taylon and the baby.” Lark was taken back at first by Rhiana’s request. “I’m serious. I want you to keep them both safe, I know only you can.” Lark nodded slowly as the water turned off. “Let’s keep this between us,” Rhiana commented.

Taylon entered the room then and Lark walked to the shower. “Oh! And Lark!” Rhiana hollered. Lark turned around at the entrance to the bathroom. “You’ll need to learn to make some cornbread. How about you give it another try tomorrow?” She asked, smiling. Lark smirked a little and nodded in response.

The shower was cold once again, but Lark didn’t really notice it. She was too consumed with Rhiana’s actions that she couldn’t focus on the shower. She couldn’t believe this woman trusted her enough to let her take care of her entire family. It was almost a scary thought, but a flattering one. The water cut off suddenly and a cold gust of wind hit her. Goosebumps arose on her pale skin, but her red markings remained sleek. She dried and changed quickly before padding into the kitchen.

The table was already set and everyone was sitting around it. Lark filled in her seat and everyone began eating at that moment. Taylon and Lark poked around at their food because they couldn’t bring themselves to eat the last bits of food they may have. Of course everyone else gorged themselves, but they were oblivious to the empty forest.

Andor’s strong voice broke the silence; he was notorious for that. “How did you fair with the game today?” Taylon dropped his fork and locked his jaw tightly as a smirk slid onto Andor’s face. Lark inferred that they had already talked about what happened today. Lark decided that, for once, she should remain silent and she poked at her peas.

“Fair enough,” Taylon answered, coldly.

Andor nodded and looked up again. He leaned back in his chair, crossed his strong arms and nodded. “What did you get? I haven’t gone in a few days. How long will it last us?” He pressed on, making Taylon tighten his jaw with each pry. Lark and the other women glanced between the two men and Lyrius simply continued eating.

“Well, it should do well enough. I don’t see a problem with Taylon and I going out again tomorrow, I need practice,” Lark said, chiming in to save Taylon. She and Taylon locked eyes and a small smile twitched across his face before the anger took over again. He went back to slicing his meat up and stabbing peas into green mush.

“I agree. After all, there was only a quail in those bags and I didn’t see anything in the cleaning area,” Andor said, biting into his meat. He smiled and Lark’s stomach did a small flip. She knew exactly what Andor was planning. “I mean, that surely isn’t enough. Perhaps, Taylon and I should go out tomorrow, just Taylon and I.” His smile turned into a smirk and both Taylon and Lark’s entire bodies stiffened. Lark enjoyed the time she spent with Taylon, it was the only time she really let her walls down. Taylon didn’t care for spending time with this new pompous Andor.

“Lark’s been doing fine,” Rhiana chimed in. “We’ve had plenty of food. Everyone has off days,” she said. By this time, Helena had finished eating and was sitting quietly. Lyrius leaned back in his chair, watching the action duke out before he had to intervene.

“Yes. Well, perhaps we can’t afford off days,” Andor said tensely, angered by Rhiana’s intervention especially in the defense of Lark. “I mean, after all, we don’t have much food for tomorrow. What are we going to eat for breakfast? Lark should be here, not out there, like the rest of the women.”

Lark sighed, angered by Andor’s trivial attitude towards women. “Perhaps it’s better with me out there. I certainly can’t cook very well and that’d just waste valuable supplies. Plus, I’m lighter and smaller. I move through the forest easier than you would or even Taylon,” she said, casting him a glance.

“It’s true. She can practically prance across the trees and she’s brilliant with knives,” Taylon added.

Andor answered but he was clearly exasperated, “Yes. Well, we wouldn’t let any other women out in the forest? Why is she an exception? Sure, she isn’t from here. However, she’s a woman. She isn’t as strong, powerful, smart or cunning. She belongs in here.” Andor slammed a fist onto the table and Lark almost saw a flash of Zorac.

“And who are you to tell me where I belong?” Lark said, standing from her seat.

Andor stood also and pushed himself towards her, “I am a man, and you listen to me.”

Lyrius cleared his throat and stood at that moment. “Sit down, both of you.” Lark sat down politely, but kept her head up high. “Andor, you sit. You’re not a man, far from it. A man learns how to respect, how to nurture and how to politely express his opinions. You are a boy and under my roof, you will learn to respect me, my family and my guests. Understand?” He hollered, fixing his tie.

“Sir,” Andor mumbled, slipping into his seat.

“Excuse me?” Lyrius said.

“Sir,” Andor pronounced loudly. Lark, Rhiana and Taylon did their bests to stifle a smile especially after Lyrius winked in their direction. Andor pouted in his seat with his arms crossed and his lower lip jutting out slightly. Helena’s face remained emotionless.

“Now,” Lyrius added, clapping his hands together, “Is there any cake?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long and it's not up to par. I'm really tired.