Status: Leggooo!

The Core

Your Mom, The Baby

Morning came and Taylon was still put off by Andor’s lack of appreciation. He wasn’t happy about leaving Lark home and spending time with this changed Andor as a replacement, but it was necessary if he was ever going to prove that it’s not Lark who can’t kill animals; it’s that there were no animals. The other boy stomped past him as he was lacing up his boots by the door. From the kitchen, he could hear Lark’s sweet voice questioning about the readiness of the cornbread.

Lark wasn’t sure what “ready” cornbread looked like and the women kept telling her that she would know. She was becoming frustrated as she continued checking the bread. Finally, after what felt like centuries, it appeared to be the same consistency as the kind Rhiana and Helena produced at the family’s meals.

Grabbing a towel from the counter nearby and wadding it in her hand, Lark used it to grab the hot pan and threw it on the top of the oven to cool. Grinning widely with the glow of triumph radiating from her skin, she announced, “Cornbread has been defeated. No longer shall it plague me.”

Rhiana laughed from the table, but Helena just stared at the girl. The other woman nudged her, nodding toward Lark’s accomplishment in delight. This didn’t change her indifferent mood. Rhiana, on the other hand, stood from her chair, with much difficulty considering the size of her growing stomach, and crossed the kitchen to Lark. She smiled, patting a gentle hand on Lark’s shoulder in a motherly sort of congratulations.

“Congratulations, you’ve accomplished the simplest of tasks presented to the women here. I don’t see why this posed such a challenge for you, but I commend your valiant effort,” Helena voiced, sarcastically.

“Oh hush, Helena,” Rhiana chided. “You have to remember what she came from. Why can’t you just appreciate how helpful she’s being? You know for a fact she’d rather be out hunting with those boys.” Rhiana left one of her soft hands resting on Lark’s shoulder but placed the other protectively over her protruding stomach.

Helena threw her hands up into the air. “Yes, I’m supposed to thank her for driving a very thick wedge between my son and your husband. She’s causing all the conflicts here, can’t you see it?” She laughed a dry, humorless laugh. “Or did you want me to appreciate that she’s making your son rather fond of her without any thoughts of a future with him. You’re not going to have grandchildren from Taylon if he continues with her. Is that what you want?”

Lark turned to face Helena. “I don’t appreciate your judgment on something that you have no business commenting on.”

Helena smirked, “Maybe it isn’t my business particularly, but I wouldn’t want Andor or Tyrion involved in fraternizing with a woman that had no thoughts of baring them children. I most certainly wouldn’t want them involved with her if she’s causing fights between childhood friends.”

“Perhaps it isn’t me, but you and your sons’ sheltered and critical view on life that is causing the problem,” Lark replied, calmly. It was moments like these where she wondered if The Core created people like this woman to drive everyone else mad.

“Yes, that’s it!” Helena expressed sarcastically. “That must be the problem because we were just begging for intervention from ‘The Core,’ as you refer to them. If you don’t like it here and how we are, leave. Nothing’s keeping you here. You said so yourself.”

“I have no complaints, Helena,” Lark began. “You and Andor are the only people unsettled. Arguments are never instigated by me. So tell me, am I really the problem? Or are you too naïve to even take a look at yourself?”

Rhiana watched to pair with wide eyes. Her hand subconsciously rubbed the widest part of her belly. Lark appeared calm, but, as a mother always can, Rhiana could tell that what Helena was saying was bothering her. The woman could also tell that Lark’s words were getting to Helena.

A wicked grin spread across Helena’s lips, in that moment. “What are you proposing? Would you rather my son and I bow down to your almighty powers? Or would you want to wait until Taylon and Andor get back from hunting and see if your little boyfriend is still even on your side?” Helena sneered.

“I don’t ask anyone to bow at my feet. I do not demand respect, I earn it. Perhaps – ” Lark stopped, staring a Rhiana. She had lowered herself into a sitting position, leaning against the cabinets. Her hands were wrapped around her stomach. Lark’s attention had been drawn to her when she had begun expressing how uncomfortable she was. “Rhiana, are you okay?”

She vehemently shook her head, her hair spinning about her head wildly. “The baby is coming!”

[img][/img]

The snow mimicked their footsteps in every place possible. They had roamed the forest for hours and the only thing weighing down in their bags was one small fox and two smaller quails. Taylon had been listening to Andor lecture him on how bad Lark’s influence was for the last hours. “If I didn’t know any better Andor, I’d say you were crushing on me or Lark. That would explain how adamant you are about this,” Taylon said, laughing.

Andor shot him a glare. “Yeah, that’s it, Taylon,” he muttered sarcastically. He was tired of Taylon disregarding his warning. He just wanted him to understand that she was trouble. Then, he would have his friend back.

“Oh, stop being such an ass,” Taylon smirked. “She’s not bothering you, so leave her alone. Don’t worry about me; I can handle myself.”

They continued on in silence, trekking through the snow hoping to find more than their three animals. From their left, the boys heard rustling in the branches and each raised their weapons. When Lark broke through and came into view, Taylon lowered his bow and smiled. “What are you doing out here?” he asked before she could get a word in.

“She probably came because she couldn’t stand to be away from you for much longer,” Andor stated bitterly.

Lark had sprinted to find them and was slightly out of breath. When she was close enough, she hunched over and breathed out, “Your mom, the baby is coming. Gotta get you home.”

Taylon’s face took a serious demeanor. “Andor, get my father. He’s in town for work. Lark and I will go back and help.” Andor didn’t argue, just took off in the direction of town. Taylon grabbed Lark’s hand, entwining his fingers in hers. “Ready for the run back?” he asked with a small smile playing on his lips.

She nodded, still slightly out of breath. Her feet fell back in the familiar rhythm of running. It was easier with Taylon helping her over the fallen debris and risen roots. When they broke through the barrier of the trees, the boy dropped her hand and sprinted toward the barely visible house. Lark didn’t trail far behind him.

Taylon had left the door open, and, as Lark entered the house, she saw him disappear into a door to the left. Quietly, she shut the door behind her, unlaced her boots and joined them. She could hear Rhiana’s screams throughout the house. It was painful listening to such a nice woman be in pain.

She stood in the doorway and watched for a moment. She felt more like an outsider than before in this moment. Helena and Taylon had taken up positions on either side of Rhiana. She was lying on the bed in the center of the room, propped up by what appeared to be all the pillows of the house. She was breathing heavily; her body was covered in a thin layer of sweat.

After more than an hour of screaming and crying from Rhiana, Andor and Lyrius appeared behind her in the doorway. Lark stepped inside and the men past. Andor stood next to his mother and kissed her cheek quickly. Lyrius joined Taylon and smiled down at his wife. “How are you feeling, love?” he asked her.

“I feel like I’m trying to give birth, Lyrius. That’s not a pleasant feeling. If you’d like, you can give birth to this child and I’ll just stand there smiling at you,” she shoved through her teeth.

Lark smiled slightly. This moment of family made Lark feel much more like an intruder than before. Even though Andor, Tyrion and Helena weren't actually in the family, they belonged. Helena's husband died so long ago that they have worked their way into the family dynamic, but Lark had not. She quietly made an exit toward the family room and curled up on the couch in front of the fire.