Status: Leggooo!

The Core

So Conceited.

The snow was falling in harsher flurries than the previous days and the sky was clouded over and graying by the time the pair made it out into the snow. The walk had been silent for the most part. Taylon tugged his coat tighter around his body as he watched Lark do the same. They took shelter from the snow under the trees. He didn't really know what to say to her. Instead, he leaned against the trunk of the tree and wrapped his arms around Lark's waist, pulling her flush with his body.

"Too keep us warmer," was all he could offer as an excuse with a shrug.

Lark broke the silence. "You know, this place is a lot more beautiful in person. Although, your elders have already told us that."

Taylon's brow furrowed. "What do you mean that the elders told you that?"

Her eyes were wide, like a doe that heard the approaching arrow. She shook her head but looked anywhere but his eyes. He repeated his question but she kept her eyes shut. Lark could see his obvious frustration with her refusals, but he didn't need to know. That was a secret that she was supposed to protect. War ensued. Is it better to keep him in the dark or tell him?

"How do you think you gained your legends, Taylon? Don't be stupid," Lark said quietly. "You think they were creative enough to make all that up by themselves? Besides, we've met the leaders from all the provinces."

His brow creased further. "All the provinces? There's more than just us?"

Lark laughed, a spontaneous, uncontrolled laugh. "Of course, there's more than you," she commented once she had got herself under control. "Such a self-absorbed thought to have, Taylon." The girl shook her head, placing a disappointed edge to her stare.

Her words put him on edge. "Sorry," he muttered.

The silence fell like a blanket, wrapping around them without release until Taylon spoke.

"What are the other places?"

She sighed, "Oh, Taylon. Why waste our time with such frivolous things? I'm cold, let's go get some milk." Lark pushed against his encircling arms, forcing them to free her. She turned and took a step toward the house before looking over her shoulder to see if he was following.

He shook his head, stubborn as ever. "Please tell me about them? We can go back, you can tell me on the way." The snow was falling harder and Taylon agreed about the cold. Curling up next to the fire sounded like a good idea.

Closing her eyes, she raked her fingers through her chocolate curls. "Don't press this, please. I can't tell you. It's a secret. Can't you see that?" Her eyes shone with her silent plea to let it drop.

"Lark, who am I going to tell? Have I told anyone anything you've told me? I just want -" he paused, not really knowing how to phrase what he wanted. He wanted to know what she knew so that she didn't have to bare the weight by herself. So that she wasn't alone. He wanted to be a part of everything she was. "I just want to know," he decided on lamely.

Lark stared at him. "We all want to know things, but sometimes not knowing is much better." Her voice was quiet and fragile, broken almost.

"I don't want the better. I'd rather be scarred with the truth than kept in the sheltered by lies. Can't you see that?" he threw her words back at her, without malice. He just wanted this - this one thing. She just kept refusing to let him have it.

She ran her fingers back through her hair, returning to the warm circle of his arms. "This won't ever happen again, Taylon," she whispered with a sigh. It was hard to tell who she was convincing.

"So tell me what they are like? It is like this?" he asked, honest curiosity seeping into his voice.

With a deep breath, she began. Her voice painted pictures in the cold forest. "We made them self-sustaining through their greed. It drives them. They build structures that are bigger and better than the last; they produce textiles and mine for jewels, anything that they think will make them get ahead. It's a beautiful place, really. The weather is warm, unlike here. They are conveniently located with a river running through the center and they have used it to their fullest abilities. It's beautiful and organized really.

"Then there's Maniura, they are located on a coast and have built their community around the sea. Men fish, young boys fish, women bear children and raise them. They are pretty much like here except instead of snow they have sand and instead of hunting they fish. I suppose that's sort of similar.

"Finally, there's Dartem," she said the name with such disgust that it was almost as if she had spat it. "They are the definition of rape and plunder. It is Ornic's playground there. The men there just pull women down and rape them - in the streets, in their homes, in the women's home. They are shared and passed around and it doesn't matter there. Sometimes, they claim a women and then it's respected, but it hardly happens. Ornic certainly has no control."

Taylon had remained silent, drinking in the places that he never had any idea of. Suddenly, he felt smaller, everything felt smaller. He didn’t say anything for a long time and Lark just watched him. She wanted to know what he was thinking as he remained silent. “I guess I didn’t want to ever wonder what was beyond the mountains,” he said, smiling down at her. “But it’s cold, we should go back and talk there. Thank you for sharing with me.”