Status: Leggooo!

The Core

Quite a Charmer

The house was quiet in the morning with only muffled cooing across the home. Lark sat on the couch with her knees to her chin, staring at the dwindling fire. She watched the embers dull from brilliant red to orange to yellow and finally to a dull grayish-white. She blew a huff of air and a chocolate lock flopped over her face. The house was so silent for everyone was fast asleep, but she was plagued by a nagging feeling.

The door clicked and Rhiana and Taylon padded out the door. They tiptoed over to Lark with an excited look on both their faces. “What?” Lark asked, raising a brow. She was confused as to why they both had this strange and suspicious look on their faces. They smiled and Rhiana grabbed Lark’s hands.

“Lark,” she said, beaming. “You are going to town!”

At first, Lark was confused. How could she go to town? She was certain that it was againt both Lyrus and Andor’s views. Then, the suspicious looks of the mother and son snapped into place in Lark’s head. They were being devious and she wondered if she should give into such a thing. “Is that not allowed?” She asked her voice quiet.

Taylon chuckled, his hearty chuckle. “Do you always do what you’re told?” He asks, playfully pushing her arm. She smiled slightly for obviously she did not always do what she was told. Her excitement bubbled at that moment for it finally sunk in that she would be going to see a real town, in person. Lark hugged Rhiana and Taylon excitedly.

“When do we go?” She asked, practically bouncing up and down.

Taylon had a dull purple cloak in his hand, long enough to cover all her markings that belonged to Rhiana. “This is for you,” he said. He also held a stack of regular clothing that she could change into so they would not be caught. “I’ll turn around,” he said, winking.

Rhiana glanced at the door with a cautious eye. “Hurry,” she whispered, “Lyrus will be up any minute now.” Rhiana then moved back to the door and slipped into the room. Helena was asleep in the room with the baby and Taylon stood by the fire, waiting for Lark to change.

Lark held her clothing awkwardly and turned around so her body faced away from Taylon. She striped slowly down, the cold making her skin prickle in tiny goose bumps. She had just slipped into her corset when Taylon’s breath brushed her neck. “Taylon,” she breathed, “I’m trying to get dressed.” She pulled the rest of her shirt on when as his hands moved about her waist. To her surprise, she was not uncomfortable with his roaming curiousity.

“Lark,” he mimicked, “I don’t see a reason for that.”

She wasn’t exactly sure if he was being fictitious or not so, heat rose to her cheeks. She moved away from him, throwing the cloak on top of her clothes. He smirked at her, a playful light in his eyes as he stared her down. “You’re terrible,” she said. He shrugged his shoulders moving closer, pinning her against the fire place.

“You like it,” he purred.

She giggled like a little school girl before a hand shot to her mouth to cover up such an atrociously immature noise. She was not the kind of person to ‘giggle’ and ‘swoon.’ She was an Advisor, she slowly shook her head. “Come,” she said, returning the air of dominance to her voice, “We need to leave.” She walked away from him, ducking under his arms. She heard him follow behind and knew his smirk was plastered on his face.

The trek through the wood was unfamiliar for Lark had always ventured deeper and deeper into the trees versus away from them. As they walked, Taylon kept his hand locked with her, it was a protective motion. Lark felt the butterflies fluttering in her stomach as they came closer and closer to the town. “Taylon,” she said, stopping. He turned, locking his hazel eyes with her and raised a brow. “I’m nervous,” she spat.

He chuckled, his hearty laugh that made her comfortable. He pulled her closer then, moving a hand to her waist and one under her chin. “Don’t be,” he stated, simple as that. “You’ll be fine. This is what you wanted?” He asked, trying to grasp why she was nervous.

She nodded slowly. “Yes, of course. However, I just think that perhaps Andor was right and people will know. What will we do then?” She asked, raising a brow. “It will just make an utter mess and put you and your family in so much danger.” Her butterflies turned into bowling balls, making her stomach drop so far, it hurt.

“Stop,” he replied, firmly. “You’re being silly. Everything is going to be fine,” he said. He took his thumb and traced up the side of her face. He brought his finger slowly back down, resting it softly on her lips. She closed her eyes and leaned into him. “Ready?” He whispered.

“Yes,” she replied, softly. He snapped back into himself then, pulling Lark forcefully along as they worked their way through the trees until Lark smelt the smoke coming from the large bonfire in the middle of the town. She finally saw all the individual faces as people pushed and worked their way through the crowd.

The center of the town was small and crowded. There were shops lining one side and the other side was small apartment type buildings. There were stands all around the bonfire with their attendants hollering loudly at each person passing by. Many things were ‘half-priced’ and ‘ready to eat,’ which Taylon explained to mean they were rotten and moldy. Stationed around the fire, were five people that Lark recognized quite well.

“Those are the elders,” Taylon whispered into her ear. She nodded, locking eyes with the one sitting at the head of the table, Veris. She averted her eyes quickly, tugging her purple cloak closer around her face. She did not, however, look away fast enough to notice Veron leaning over to his right hand man, Ferdum, with an alarmed look. The butterflies returned to her stomach immediately, but Taylon squeezed her hand and pulled her towards a random store. “Relax,” he mouthed to her and she nodded.

Taylon shuffled through fabric at the general store when the store owner walked over. “Taylon! How’s your mother?” He asked, slapping Taylon’s back and chuckling. Taylon stood and smiled, answering casually and hugging the man. Lark forced her eyes to the ground and Taylon threw his arm over Lark, pulling her safely under his arms. “Ciprius, this is Lark,” Taylon said. Lark held out a dainty hand and Ciprius took it, giving her a business man’s handshake.

“Nice to meet you, dear,” he said, eyeing her up and down.

Taylon worried people may be suspicious, especially the elders. His palms were sweaty, but he played it off with a cool smile and cheery disposition. “And you, sir,” Lark said, curtsying slightly. Taylon gave her a strange look and she blushed deeply. Apparently, manners were not common in Palimea; Lark blamed their human nature.

After Taylon rummaged in the store, he stacked many yards of fabric, candles and soap onto the counter. Ciprius studied Lark as she walked around the store, running her hands along all of the items in an attempt to settle her nerves and avoid his eyes. She had never been so nervous before in her life. In fact, running from the Core wasn’t as terrifying as hiding under the watchfully curious eyes of Palimeans.

“That’ll be all,” Taylon said, firmly, snapping Ciprius to attention. Ciprius muttered a price to
Taylon and began folding his things. Ciprius’ face twisted with words that he wanted so badly to say, but couldn’t. “Would you just spit it out already?” Taylon spat, growing impatient.

“I was just..who or what is she Taylon?” He asked, lowering his voice. He had never seen someone like Lark before. He had never seen this girl before and he knew for a fact that he knew everyone in Palimea. Besides, she looked very different from everyone else. He also noted the clear attraction that Taylon had to her.

Taylon smiled softly at the man’s question, his eyes drifting softly over to Lark as she gingerly picked up a piece of china. “Mine,” Taylon said, grabbing his bag and walking over to her. Lark smiled once Taylon returned for being alone here made her more nervous than anything else. There was something comforting about him being next to her especially because he explained everything she was seeing, including the people. She wanted, no, she needed to burn every piece of the town in her brain.

The one thing that mesmerized Lark was the movement of the town. She had never seen so many bodies, weaving in and out. People were bumping into each other, hugging, laughing, talking. All the sounds, billowing in every direction: shop-owners, venders, horses whining and children laughing. She smelt the rotten smell of decay and the heavy odor of factory smog. She smiled though, for as disgusting as it was, it was new.

She was so tired of The Core, one can only look at golden and red walls for so long. She had memorized every curl in tapestry, every hole in the wood and every shadow that crossed at a certain point of the day. She knew The Core like the back of her hand, but this was so new. It wasn’t pixels and camera views, it was real. She had the ability to feel the surroundings, not see them; that was what she truly enjoyed.

Taylon intertwined their fingers and, to Lark’s dismay, pulled her carefully towards the forest. She jutted her lower lip out in a pout of sorts for it felt like her little adventure had only just begun and now it was over. “I’m sorry, but we can’t stay in town forever,” he said, chuckling at her expression. He pulled her closer, tickling her rib cage and causing a burst of giggles to spill from her lips. “You’ll freeze anyway,” he added after she stopped laughing.

With that comment, Lark did note the change in temperature and the increased snow fall and she heaved a heavy sigh. “Fine,” she huffed, blowing a piece of hair out of her face. “But, I just want you to know I am not happy with this,” she said, matter of factly. Taylon chortled, shaking his head and began walking again. “Why are you laughing?” Lark inquired, stopping before they moved too far.

“Just, you’re stupid,” he said, laughing again.

“Excuse me? I’m an Advisor! I can assure you that my intelligence rivals the best,” she said, pulling her hand away from him and crossing her arms firmly. Again, he shook his head which caused Lark’s frustration to rise ever so slightly. “It’s true!” She hollered, throwing her hands in the air.

“Alright, princess, but you do lack common sense,” he said, turning and marching forward. He heard her angry footsteps following him in the snow, crunching loudly, before he heard her sing-song voice disagreeing with him. He smiled a little because he knew that no matter how logical he was, he was always wrong; women.

“I do not!” She objected loudly, finally catching up and grabbing Taylon’s hand. She stopped him in his tracks and turned him around. “You just lack everything else,” she said, sticking her tongue out at him. In the split second she ran up to him, she forgot to think of something intelligent to say. His laughter only irked her more.

“Okay, dear. So, you’re stupid and you can’t argue. Quite a charmer,” he said, winking. “Come on, I’m cold.” He pulled her again in the direction of the forest. She followed without speaking for she feared she’d embarrass herself again. Instead, she accepted Taylon’s arms around her shoulders as they continued the long walk back to their home.

“If it makes you feel any better, you’re still adorable,” he added, softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. I've been busy. It's not even that good -.-