‹ Prequel: The Best Mistake
Status: completed!

The Worst Choice

You don't have to explain.

"You sure you don't need any more help, Catherine?" Nash asked my mom politely, causing me to roll my eyes. He'd already helped with the dishes, or more so did them himself because my mom was far too starstruck at the fact he was helping.

"No, she doesn't," I answered for my mom. I grabbed Nash's arm and waited for him to finish drying his hands, before pulling him away.

He gave me a smirk and stood still so I couldn't pull him any further. "Do you need any more help?" he repeated.

Mom gave him a smile, still slightly startled. "I'm fine, honey," she answered. "But you know, if you ever want to move in, I could always kick Ashlyn out and you can have her room!"

Nash laughed while I glared at her jokingly. "Jeremy, Aurora and Alex weren't anywhere to be seen once dinner was over!" I defended.

She waved her hand dismissively. "Nash, you may stay a little longer. But it is a school night, so you'll have to be kicked out by eight, alright?"

"I will. Thanks for dinner," he said, this time letting me drag him away and up to my room. I kept the door open about two inches. "So, your mom doesn't hate me so obviously anymore," he observed, sitting on the end of my bed.

I smiled and sat at the top of my bed, leaning against the wall. "She told me she'd give you a chance," I told him before laughing. "Honestly, I think you really won her over by helping her after dinner. Nobody does that."

He chuckled, moving up to lay next to me. "It doesn't bother me. I'm relieved I don't get the feeling she wants to stab me anymore," he said.

"That's good," I told him, grinning at the idea. "I'm glad she's back to being practically in love with you."

"I am quite the charmer," he smirked, looking up at me.

I laughed, rolling my eyes. "Yeah, right," I said.

"You know it's true," he mumbled, resting his cheek on my lap and laying his arm across my legs.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, baby," I teased, pulling his hat off and running my hand through his hair.

"That feels good," he said, yawning. "Really, really good."

"Oh, so I should stop?" I questioned, slowing down my movements.

"No," he said, half-groaning and half-whining.

I giggled. "If you say so," I said, my pace going back to normal. "How are you feeling?"

"Right now? Fantastic."

"I meant how are your injuries," I corrected in a quiet voice.

I felt him shrug. "I'm pretty sore, but it's nothing I can't handle," he explained simply.

"After all those bruises and cuts and everything- you're just pretty sore?" I asked in disbelief.

He sighed, turning his body around and leaning on his elbow, laying across my legs sideways. I noticed him wince a little as he looked up at me. "Obviously, I hurt. I can't lay certain ways, I can't bend over much and every now and then every part of my body throbs," he explained like it was nothing. "But don't worry about me, I can handle it."

I searched his eyes for any sign of lying or pain, but I found nothing. Then again, even if he was lying, I'm sure Nash could mask it like the professional he is. I bite my lip, cautiously speaking. "You never did tell me what exactly happened."

His stare went blank for a few seconds before he blinked and sighed again. He sat up, facing toward me. "And I'm not going to, because it'll sound a lot worse than it actually is," he said calmly.

I frowned, but decided to drop it. If he didn't want to tell me, I didn't want to push. As long as he's okay. "When do you think you'll be back in school?" I asked him.

He chewed on his bottom lip a few seconds, not saying a word. He wasn't even looking at me; he was staring at the wall behind me. "Uh, I was actually thinking about that last night," he said. "It probably best I just relax the rest of the week, so I'll be in best shape possible and don't have to explain things to Eric."

I shrugged. "I agree. I mean, it's definitely not something he should be aware about," I replied. I wouldn't even want Alex knowing the way me and Nash acted when we first met- which is a lot less intense than Nash and his dad.

"Yeah," he agreed slowly. "But I was also thinking about just dropping out." He paused for a second, before quickly saying the rest. "I mean, I really do appreciate everything your mom did when it came to getting me back into school, but I'm making good enough money right now- well, for somebody who really isn't spending any of it at all- so I think it'll work out. I do have to take off a few days of work because it'll hurt like hell to work with the-"

"Nash!" I interrupted, laughing slightly. "You don't have to explain."

He gave me a cautious, but confused looked. "I don't?" he asked.

I laughed, shaking my head. "I asked my mom for those favors if you wanted to accept them- you didn't have to. I don't control you. The only thing I'm trying to..." I searched for the word, snapping my fingers when I came up with one, "prevent you from, is street fighting."

"I didn't really want your mom to hate me for it or it to start another fight between you and me," he admitted.

"You make me sound like a complete bitch," I stated.

"Wait, you aren't?" he teased.

"Shut up, jerk!" I said, trying to fight a smile as I hit his knee.

He laughed. "I'm kidding," he said, grabbing my hand and intertwining our fingers. He smiled. "I know I'm a complete jackass, but you're doing a really fucking good job at putting up with me."

I grinned. "I know," I said, pressing my lips against his.
♠ ♠ ♠
youguysdon'tunderstandhowmuchijustdon'tlikethisstoryanymore.it'sturnedintocrapandblahfuckmesideways.

This was a pretty quick update, yeah? So basically, the 'slow update' warning is just a precaution, really. Updates haven't really slowed- hell, I've got the next chapter written- it's just that my twat of a mother has decided on where she's gonna move us to, which will be North Carolina. Fuck.my.Life.k.

Anywhore, enough complaining. Thank you so much to Cerullis_Creature, amyuhohs, Shadow14, SilencedByTheTrees, TheGoodLlama, pixie dusttt., TayVengeance, xoxo_aj_xoxo, MusicLover525, ImJustLaya, MoMo_92, NothinNNomore, MerciPorLeVenin and Modern.Sunshine for the amazing comments! c:

hay guise. i have a soft spot for one direction, and an even bigger soft spot for harry style. aw. c: