‹ Prequel: The Best Mistake
Status: completed!

The Worst Choice

Definitely bipolar.

Ashlyn.

"He's just being really distant," I explained to Jenn over the phone. "Last night everything was fine, then I wake up this morning and he's being... different."

"Maybe he's just on his man-period?" she suggested. "Harry gets like this all the time." I gave a disbelieving look, momentarily forgetting that she couldn't see me. But as if she did see me, she continued, "Okay, maybe he doesn't. But Harry's whipped, so you can't really compare the two."

I laughed. "I guess," I said. "I just- ugh, I don't know. I'm probably overreacting. How's your weekend? Boring as hell without me?"

"Yeah, actually. I was just working on my life-sized drawing of you. Once I'm finished, I'm getting it made into a doll so even when you're gone, you're here," she explained. "But no, Kat and I have been hanging out. Tommy's parents are gone for the weekend so Taylor's staying there."

"Speaking of which, has Kat told you who her lunch-date is?" I asked. I couldn't help it- the curiosity was driving me insane. This whole thing was completely out of character for Kat and she's normally extremely open about her love life.

"No! She doesn't even bring him up," she said, huffing. "I asked her if she was seeing him this weekend and she said he was busy with family stuff. I haven't even seen her on her phone, so it's not like they text a lot. It's like some weird kind of modern-day Romeo and Juliet stuff."

"My curiously is eating at me," I admitted. "It's so weird for her to be the one doing this, you know? You, I wouldn't be surprised. But Kat? She tells us the second she has a crush."

"I know right?" she agreed. "I asked if they were dating, before she could slyly change the subject like she always does. She said that's things were complicated and they couldn't date right now."

"Hm." I said thoughtfully. "Who the hell could it be?"

"No idea," she said. "But hey, Harry's gonna be here soon. We're having a Channing Tatum marathon tonight." I could picture her wiggling her eyebrows.

"Harry must be whipped," I said. Jenn didn't watch a Channing Tatum movie without constantly stating how much she wanted to rip his clothes off and have his babies. That's exactly the reason I didn't see Magic Mike with her.

"I know right?" she said, before gushing, "Oh my god, wouldn't it be perfect if he was in love with Channing too?"

I laughed. "That's when you should be getting worried," I pointed out. "Bye, Jenn."

"See ya!" I ended the call, sighing. Now what was I supposed to do? It was almost seven and everybody was still gone. Is the zoo even open this long? Deciding to just go lie down upstairs, I turned the TV off and went to the guest room. I'd changed back into sweatpants and a tank top earlier, so I just crawled into bed after turning on the TV.

I closed my eyes, listening to the TV scream angrily about baby daddies and AIDs. I was already half-asleep when I heard the bedroom door open slowly. Being too comfortable to move or even open my eyes to see who it was, I laid still. I heard footsteps walk across the floor and sit on the small area of bed in front of me. When I felt the slightly rough fingertips run lightly from my temple to my jaw, I knew it was Nash. Him being bipolar crossed my mind once again. I felt his lips lightly brush my forehead. "I'm sorry," he whispered in my ear. I remained still, focusing on keeping my breath steady and trying to ignore how close he currently was. "Goodnight."

The weight left the bed and I heard him walked across the room and out the door. I turned to look at the door in confusion, as if Nash was still standing there.

Yeah, definitely bipolar.

* * * *


"Ash... wake up." I heard a voice coo softly in my ear. I made a noise- a cross between a moan and a groan- and opened my eyes. I turned my head to see Nash only inches from my face. He gave me a half smile. "Hi."

"Hi," I said, my voice still groggy. He moved away and I sat up, stretching as I let out a yawn. "What time is it?"

"A little passed nine," he told me.

"Nine in the morning?" He nodded. "Oh. I guess I just needed to sleep and I wouldn't feel sick anymore." I didn't really want to be a total bitch but I wanted him to know that I was not okay with him lying for me to stay here yesterday. If he didn't want me to go with them, he could've just told me so. I wouldn't have argued. But no, instead he lies behind my back.
But Nash didn't acknowledge my words. "Do you wanna come to the park with me and Eric?" he asked. "Carrie got sunburnt yesterday and doesn't want to be out in the sun again."

I lifted a shoulder. "I guess," I said. "I need to take a shower, so you'd have to wait. But you guys can go anyway."

He shook his head. "I want you to go," he said sincerely, meeting my eyes. "You look fine; you can just take one when we get back."

"Is Eric okay with me going?" I asked. The thought of yesterday being because Eric didn't like me crossed my mind last night, so I didn't want to intrude on Eric-Nash time.

"Why wouldn't he be?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

I shrugged. "I was just making sure," I said, throwing the blankets off me. "Let me get dressed and I'll be right down."

He nodded, standing up. Without saying anything else, he left, shutting the door on his way out. I sighed as I got up to get my stuff. Why did things seem so tense between us? Ignoring my thoughts, I pulled out a pair of shorts and a dark purple v-neck shirt. I quickly changed before going into the bathroom to brush my teeth and tame my hair. I ended up throwing it up in a messy bun.

I walked downstairs and found everybody in the kitchen. Carrie was making a cup of coffee, Eric was focusing intensely on the yo-yo in his hand and Nash was sitting at the table, watching him in amusement. "Good morning, Ashlyn!" Carrie said brightly. "Are you feeling better?"

"Much," I said, giving her a smile.

"Good, good," she said. "Are you hungry? I was going to make breakfast, but Eric is in such a rush to get to the park, so they just got something little. There's quick stuff in the pantry."

"She can just have my other Poptart!" Eric said, setting the yo-yo on the table and grabbing the chocolate Poptart off the table and held it out to me. I grinned, taking it from him.

"Eric," Carrie scolded the boy.

"It's fine, I like Poptarts," I said, breaking a piece off and eating it.

Eric's eyes lit up. "Me too!" he said. "Hey, you can eat that on the way, right? Great! Let's go, let's go, let's go!"

"You have my number programmed in your phone, right?" Carrie asked me. I nodded. "Fantastic. Call me or text me when you are on your way back, okay? I'll have lunch ready for you all."

Before I could say anything else, Eric was dragging Nash and I out of the door and down the driveway. "Slow down, bud!" Nash said, laughing. "The park isn't going anywhere."

"Yeah, but you are," Eric replied, frowning. "So I wanna hurry so we can play!"

The rest of the walk was silent. Eric was skipping a few steps in front of us and Nash had his hands shoved in his pockets, his eyes set on the little boy in front of us. And I definitely didn't want to be the one to break the silence, so I just nibbled on my Poptart.

As soon as we got to the park, Eric darted toward the slide. Nash and I took a seat at a nearby picnic table, silently watching Eric. Nash broke the silence. "Ashlyn, I need to talk to you." My heart clenched. Oh god, he's gonna breakup with me here? "I thi-"

"Nash! Ashlyn! Come play on the slide with me!" Eric called from the bottom of the slide.

"Maybe in a few minutes," Nash said, his voice only sounding slightly impatient. Oh my god, he was in a hurry to breakup with me.

"I'll play." I found myself saying before I could think about it. Good, it'll delay the breakup. Hopefully until we get back home and I'll have time to sulk in peace, in the safety of my own bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
(i spellchecked, but i didn't overlook completely dont hate me)

hi guys i love you. just thought i'd say so.
i also miss old nash. from the best mistake. aw. :c

Thank you to MusicLover525, xoxo_aj_xoxo, NothinNNomore, cruel kids., Shadow14, MoMo_92, MerciPorLeVenin, ForgottenJoker, ImJustLaya, Im'Paiid and Gorgak for the amazing comments. I love seeing new names as much as the old ones. c:

The next few chapters are lovely. Or I like them, for how much i've blah'd this story out. Tehehebby.

my cat peed on my bed. then he tried again. now i have to make sure my door's closed or else he'll do it again tear :'c. ok none of you care comment be lovely be sexy let's all go kidnap all time low ok goodbye xoxoxox