‹ Prequel: The Best Mistake
Status: completed!

The Worst Choice

Late fees.

Nash.

I was angry. No, angry wasn't a strong enough word. I was fuming. I could barely think straight. Luckily, Ashlyn picked the perfect time to start asking questions about where I'd be staying. It gave me a chance to focus on something else, especially when she got so excited that I'd left my dad. Knowing that a decision I made caused somebody to be that happy made me forget about my entire morning. But now that she had left, all I could do was think about this morning.

Good enough for now.

Late fee.

Until Thanksgiving.


Those words wouldn't stop running through my mind. I thought giving the Russians their money would end this. They never warned me about a 'late fee' before! If they had, I wouldn't have taken as many sick days as I had- I would've had my ass at work. And what the hell kind of idiotic thing is this late fee anyway? Wasn't that what the extra thousand dollars was for? No matter what, I had to figure out a thousand more dollars and fast before they start charging any more late fees. Fucking Russians.

Levi walked into the living room, shoving a sandwich in his mouth as he plopped down on the couch. "Don't hurt your pretty little head thinking too hard over there," he commented through a mouthful of food.

"Fuck off," I muttered, leaning forward on the couch and rested my elbows on my knees, digging the heels of my hands into my eyes. I didn't have time for Levi's stupidity- I had to deal with my own right now.

"Whoa, feisty," he said. "If you weren't finished with Ashlyn, you could've had her text me and tell me. I would've tried to stall coming home."

I leaned back against the couch, rolling my eyes before closing them. "This has nothing to do with Ashlyn," I told him.

"Then why the hell are you sulking?" he asked. "Seriously. You've got your girl, you've got a job, and you’re debt-free; what's up?"

"The Russian- or Roman is his name- wants a thousand more dollars in late fees!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in exasperation. "Three thousand dollars all because I took like two hundred dollars from him."

"It was more than that..." Levi mumbled.

I glared at him. "I know that, thanks," I said. "Either way, there is now way I should be giving him three grand."

"Well you've got two choices; either pay up, or don't. But I don't think those guys are above murder, so for your health, you should probably choose the first choice," he said. "Let me guess. They didn't give you a date, just told you they needed the money?"

I scoffed. "Yeah," I confirmed.

"Fucking Russians," he muttered, causing me to nod in agreement.

Ashlyn.

I walked through my front door, barely able to contain the grin that's been etched onto my face for the past hour or so. I couldn't believe Nash had finally broken free from his father. Not only will I be able to sleep better at night, knowing that there wasn't the chance of him getting beaten to death in his sleep, but he'd be able to physically heal. Every time I'd touch him, I feel like he could break any second or I'm hurting his fading bruises. He insists that nothing hurts anymore and he 'isn't a fragile fucking person', as he put it, so I try my hardest to not think about it, but it's hard since it's written all over his body. I know Nash is strong and all but I want him to get a break from all the nonsense he's been going through for God knows how long.

"What are you doing?" Mom's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. She stood in front of me with a confused and suspicious look and her arms crossed.

I realized that I was standing in front of the front door- that was still wide open and I quickly shut it. "Sorry, I kinda zoned out," I apologized.

"I figured that much," she said with a small chuckle. "I've been standing here for about a minute now and you've hardly blinked, much less notice my presence."

I let out a small laugh, glad she wasn't angry. I'd just sent her a text saying that I was going over Nash's after I dropped off Taylor and that I'd be home in time for dinner. I was also ecstatic that I hadn't been lectured for Nash staying the night last night. "Right," I said. "I'm gonna take a shower before dinner, so-"

"That can wait until after dinner, right?" she asked, although I knew it was more of her telling me that it can wait until after dinner. "I need to talk to you and then I need you to run to the store for me."

I bit the inside of my lip. I didn't want to argue with her over Nash again. "For what?" I asked. "I mean about the store. What do you need?"

"Jeremy took all the vegetables to his office, for some Thanksgiving party-dinner they're going to be having. He told me, but I forgot to go by the store on my way home from work so we don't have any for dinner," she explained.

I raised an eyebrow. "It's the end of September and they're already preparing for Thanksgiving?" I questioned.

Mom shrugged. "I guess they like to be prepared? I don't know. It's a big office, so maybe that's why. But that isn't the conversation we need to have," she said. "I'm sure you already know what I'm gonna say, so would you rather stand here and talk about it or go sit down?"

I sighed, walking passed her and heading into the kitchen, sitting down at the table. "I know this is about Nash and I really am sorry he stayed last night. I know you don't like that but he was really upset about leaving Eric and not knowing when he'd be able to see him and I couldn't just turn him away," I explained all in one breath. I took a deep breath before continuing. "I love Nash. I don't want to fight with you about him because I love you too, but I need you to realize this isn't a phase. I know it hasn't been that long but it's true and it's not going to change."

She was silent for a few seconds, each one making me more and more nervous. But I was content with what I said and I meant it. I needed her to know that. "Okay," she finally said. "I get that you two love each other. But I need you to understand a few things. First, I am your mother. If he is so upset that you feel like you need him to stay the night, come ask me. If it's worth the trouble, it's worth waking me up and asking. I might not always say yes, but I will consider it.

"Second, I need you to put yourself in my shoes. Your daughter is dating a boy you know absolutely nothing about. All I know is that he has a brother that lives a couple hours away and he got you arrested. Don't interrupt me. There may be more good about him than bad and I don't doubt it, but I don't know anything and that worries me," she finished, a concerned look on his face.

"Nash and his dad don't get along." I didn't mean to say that, but the words just fell out of my mouth before I could stop them. I tried to hide the surprise on my face at what I said, but I think she noticed.

Mom's eyebrows furrowed, concern joining the suspicious look that seems to live in her eyes whenever Nash is brought up in a conversation. "What do you mean?" she asked.

"They just- they argue. A lot. That's why Eric doesn't live with them," I answered. I mentally smacked my forehead. That sounded completely stupid.

"Then why didn't Nash move in with their aunt as well?" she asked, her eyes now narrowing.

"They started arguing a lot after his mom died. His dad was mourning and stuff, so when Carrie offered to take both of the kids, Nash opted to stay because he didn't want to leave his dad. First his wife, then his youngest son... he didn't want him to feel like everybody was leaving him, you know?" I explained, proud of myself for my quick save. I made a mental note to pat myself on my back later.

"It's been years now. If Nash and his dad still don't get along, why does he still live with him?" she asked.

Perfect timing, Nash. "He moved in with Levi," I answered smoothly. "He's been planning on it for a while and never knew when he could. He decided he'd do it today a few weeks back."

"Hm. Interesting," she commented.

I nodded, my eyes drifting to the clock above the stove. "He's gonna stay there until he's saved up enough to get his own place," I said, standing up. "It's getting late I should go to the store. What do you want me to get?"

She shook her head, a small smile on her face. "A few cans of corn, peas and green beans should be fine," she said.

I saluted her with a grin. "Alright, I'll be back," I said, pulling my keys out of my pocket as I walked to the door. As soon as I was out the door, my grin widened and I got in my car, but not before giving myself a small pat on the back.
♠ ♠ ♠
my thoughts and prayers go out to the families in newtown. that guy was fucking worthless.
-
It took my forever to get this to sound right and klhglfhdgsdfgsd. ugh. this is the best i could come up with.

I can't recognize the commenters this time because i am in such a rush (i also didn't edit, don't kill me). i will edit later and thank you guys next chapter, swear!

HEY. WANT A POSSIBILITY OF A ONE SHOT WRITTEN FOR YOU?! go here and check it out. c;