Blinded by Greed

Chapter One - Engagement

He had a poker face on; I couldn’t tell what was going through his mind at this current moment.

I fake gasped, pulling mock surprise on my father, as though I had put together an obvious puzzle. “Did you really think I was going to pull something; something against Allen O’Connell, my own flesh and blood?”

My face once again turned cold and hard as I saw him slowly doubting he had been wrong. Honestly, on the inside, I was smirking. Although it was sort of the response I was wishing for, it would’ve been much more amusing messing with him, making him feel ignorant and pathetic; believing his own daughter had turned against him. It was the cold hearted truth though, I, Kira O’Connell, hate my father, King Allen O’Connell enough that I will ruin him. He destroyed my own life without even realizing, and now, I will shatter his back. Karma’s a bitch.

I sneered, shoving him backwards, “Well I am. Prepare yourself father, you’ll need it.”

***

I sighed heavily, flopping onto my king sized bed in a black robe made from the finest silk, and purple underwear and bra. My sheets were gray silk, though I did not prefer silk for sheets. The thick blanket, trimmed with red and the rest black, crimson pillow cases is what consisted of my bed. Most think this is inappropriate for a princess, but I can’t say I care.

Why is he so… stupid; difficult; clever? Allen makes things so complex! Stubborn mule, he is.

I sat up abruptly, checking the old grandfather clock; 14:58. I rushed over to my wardrobe, slipping on tight black pants and a tight black top to go with it. They were skin tight; you could see every curve of my body. I braided my hair swiftly at the same time, struggling to get my feet into my combat styled boots.

I sprinted down the corridors, pushing myself to make it on time. Subconsciously, I knew I wouldn’t though. He’d be furious if I was late again.

Tugging open the doors, I ran in, hands on my knees bent over out of breath.

“You’re five minutes late,” He said.

I glanced up and was met with hard, glaring ice blue eyes.

“I know,” I muttered meekly cowering back.

I studied his face; cold blue eyes, chocolate brown hair in a buzz cut form, and his tanned skin looking as soft as a feather, without a single hair on his face. To say the least, he was quite popular with the ladies.

He’s muscular, very built as I’ve seen his ripped upper body.

He crossed his arms, scowling down at my tiny frame.

“Is there a reason why, O’Connell?”

“I was lost in my own mind, Sir.”

“Don’t give that bullshit, Kira. Being distracted with thoughts is not an excuse and it could get you killed one day.” His rough masculine voice scolded firmly. I only nodded mutedly.

“And call me Alex, not Sir. That makes me sound old, girl.” He added playfully, smiling.

Deep down inside, this man was very nice and sweet. Most don’t know it though, because of his appearance. Men think he’s a competition for their girls because some how men believe that every single lady fall for the big, bad ass guy. Women, tend to fear Alexander, afraid he’ll hurt them or something; those who don’t however, get with him then leave the next morning. Men want to be him; women want to be with him.

Me? I’m one of the girls who want to be with him. So, I admit, I’ve been pretty madly in love with Alex for over a year now. He doesn’t know, nor do I desire him to. I would rather just get over it. I’ve seen what love does to someone, and I refuse to end up like that; heartbroken.

A dull thump came to the back of my head, it didn’t hurt that much only snapped me out of my day dreams of Alex. I glared up at the person; it was Alex smirking down at me. I pounced on him, tackling to him to the ground; him on his back and me straddling his hips pinning his arms above his head on the soft green grass. He turned over, putting him on top of me, hands above my head. Something in his eyes was… different. I ignored it, however, I licked my lips, biting my bottom lip; a nervous, angry or frustrated habit of mine. I brought my knee up and jammed it into his stomach. He rolled off me, gripping his stomach. I knew it didn’t hurt as much as he was trying to make me believe.

I sat up; sprinting as fast as I possibly could hoping his “injury” and the fact that I had a couple seconds of a head start would at least buy me some time as Alexander is very fast. I had gotten probably about half way to the other door when he had come running in front of me and stopped about a yard ahead. Oh shit, I thought. I took a sharp left turn, something he didn’t expect. The new route I was taking was one that led to a forest near my castle, but to get to it, you’d have to cross a river. It was about four feet deep and ten feet in width.

I finally came to the stream, jumping as far as I could, about half way through it. Now just to fight the powerful current the rest of the five feet before Alex gets me. With all of my might, I pushed myself to do it. And I succeeded. I winked at him and took off, I was busy looking back at him and I slammed into a giant oak tree. Hopefully he hadn’t seen or he wouldn’t ever let me hear the end of it. Laughter broke out from behind me; it was obvious to me that he had after all.

I kept running, my breaths were heavy and uneven but I continued on. I needed to win this. As silently as I could, which made virtually no sound whatsoever; I climbed a branch of a tree nearby, waiting for Alex. I was on the first branch out of sight that would support my weight. It was no more than a thin limb.

Not five minutes passed when he came trotting by, looking anxiously around. When he was about three or four feet from where my branch was, I swung down, still hanging on mind you, and kicked his back with both my feet. I let go; one leg extended, one bent, one hand on the ground and the other hand extended like my leg but not touching the ground, my head focusing on Alex to see what he would do. I slowly stood watching carefully. He groaned rubbing his back, sitting up. I came over to him, pushed him back onto the dirt floor and rolled him over, so he was facing me. I straddled his hips again, placing one hand beside his head and reached behind in my back pants pocket, grabbing a small knife. I brought it to his neck, smirking.

“I win.” I told him triumphantly. This was the first he’d ever lost.

“I suppose you do, O’Connell.” He replied, English accent leaking out and is clearly discontent with losing after winning so much.

I pecked his lips quickly, first time I’d ever kissed him before. He looked shocked, hell; even I was stunned by my actions.

“Race you back!” I blurted getting off of him and started running back towards the castle. He brushed past me, snickering at how slow I was being. I was exhausted after all this damn running. I darted to catch up to him and eventually when we finally returned home; I collapsed on the dirt, breathing deeply. Alex bid me farewell, mentioning he had business to attend.

I lazily stood and walked back to my bedroom. On my door, there was a note.

Meet me in the garden at 23:30

The cursive writing was very neat, but slightly sloppy at the same time. Maybe it was just a characteristic thing this mystery person had going on?

I ordered the maids to heat me up some bath water; I needed to be cleaned after that rough work out. Once it was warmed, I stepped in. The servants insisted on washing me, and this time I didn’t feel like arguing.

“I think Sir Alexander has a thing for you, Miss.” One of the maids giggled like a school girl.

“What makes you say that?”

“He’s always staring at you with a longing look. He looks his happiest when he’s training with you. I’d say he loves you dearly, Miss. I wouldn’t let him go if I were you!” She once again giggled. It had me thinking though, is what she saying true?

I hope so. Wait, no, I don’t. There’d be a much greater possibility of us getting together if he actually does have mutual feelings. I will never get with him, my heart will only be broken, and I cannot let that happen. Someone with a shattered heart is at a higher chance of losing a war with their father. Though, I doubt many people are even in my position to begin with.

***

I waited anxiously for the unknown person to make their identity known. I sat on an old wooden bench in a moss green strapless dress falling to my ankles. The upper part was a corset with black lace on the top. The rest gracefully flowed in five layers. My hair was half up, half down, curled but my fringe still fell into my eyes. I truly looked like I could’ve come straight from my wedding if I hadn’t been wearing a green colored dress. Truth is; I had actually come from a ball that my father had arranged when he came back from his trip in England. I, of course, was forced to attend as I am his daughter after all. I didn’t have any time to change into better clothing. I have my hands lying in my lap with a blue rose between my index and thumb, admiring its beauty. Blue roses have always been my favorite; they’re very rare but so damn gorgeous. I also had the note in my left hand. I winced when a thorn slit open my finger, blood rolled off and dripped from my finger to the stem slowly soaking it in blood. A body was in the shadows, watching me. They came forward. Alex appeared, shocking me internally. He was dressed in a white dress shirt, red bow tie and black slacks; it was pretty sexy in my opinion. He was there at the ball too; girls were trying to hang off his arm the entire time. He usually would casually shrug them off though.
I held the note between two fingers. “You wrote this?” I questioned Alex. He only nodded.

I patted the seat next to me, gesturing he sit down beside me, smiling softly. He did, but picked up my cut up right hand tugging it to his lap. Alex reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a bandage.

“Do you always carry around bandages?” I chuckled, asking him. I’m disappointed; my Irish accent slipped out, I’d been working on having an English accent like Alex. They’ve always sounded better to me. He shook his head ‘no’. I groaned, why wasn’t he speaking to me?

“Alex.” I spoke. He looked up at me, puzzled. “Why are you not speaking to me?” I requested sadly.

“Because I’m afraid my voice may give something away.” I tilted my head to the side, confused.

“What would your—” I was cut off with his lips meeting mine in a forbidden kind of way. They say the forbidden fruit always tastes the sweetest. I kissed back a little, to let him know nothing was wrong but pulled away.

“What was that for?” I asked thoughtfully. Why did Alexander kiss me? Why did I kiss him? Why did I kiss back?

“I love you, Kira. I always have, why can’t you see it? How your smile brightens your face, your hair is so pretty flowing off your shoulders like waves, your cute green eyes, your slender body, your sassy comments. I love it all. I love you so much. No normal person could go through what you went through and act the way you do.”

“How do I act?”

“Like nothing happened, as though your mother never passed away.”

“This may sound crazy to you and hell, it is, but I know Allen killed my mother. She didn’t commit suicide. I was there right afterwards; he was holding her with a dead look in his eyes. Like he couldn’t believe what he had just witnessed… or in this case; done. He attempted to cover it up by saying she had just killed herself. You have to trust me Alex.”

“I know that’s what happened. I didn’t tell you in the case of it reopening old wounds. I’m sorry.” I gazed back down towards the rose, he knew…

“May I have your hand in marriage, Kira?” he spoke quietly, afraid of rejection.

“Yes, but only on one condition.”

“What is that?”

I looked him straight in the eyes, showing all seriousness and spoke my next words very clearly and carefully. “You help me take vengeance upon my father, for Queen Erin O’Connell.”

He glanced down at his lap, which my hand was still in, and gazed back up at me with a new fierceness I had never seen before. “I’ll help you, Princess.” I smiled widely and kissed him hard on the mouth, wrapping my arms around his neck. He positioned his hands on my hips pulling me closer to him, grinning into the kiss.

“Come up to my room,” I say standing, walking to my room without giving another scrutiny peek back. He followed me like a lost puppy up to my bedroom. I yanked on his tie, dragging him in the room, though it wasn’t dragging if he would’ve come without being forced. I began undoing his tie and unbuttoning his shirt. Once they were off, I let him slide off his pants. I slipped off my dress and shoes and put on his shirt only buttoning a single, middle one.

We lie in my bed, me on top of him. My head lie on his chest, listening to his heart beat slowly making me fall asleep. His arms were wrapped around my back, stroking my hair. Leaning up, I pecked his lips for a couple seconds and pulled away before he had time to react.

That night, we fell asleep together. It was the best night of my life, and it was all thanks to this one single man, the English Prince Alexander Otis.

So why was the English prince in Ireland helping train their princes? Alex is not the eldest son, no; he had an older brother who is heir to the throne. I wished to get closer to their prince, and low and behold, I did. I even have him as my lover currently. I feel this was a huge success.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I had this story posted on here before. I deleted it when I gave up, but I'm going to attempt to bring it back to life once more!