Pool of Emotion

Jasper

I had gone back to normal by the time Jacob and Bella returned. We soon left for home, and I went straight to bed, still tired from flying all the way here.

The next day I woke up around 12 to see my 1990 toyota supra, completely rebuilt by my own two hands, sitting in the driveway. I squealed and ran out side in my night clothes to make sure that there wasn't a single scratch on the custom shiny black paint with the orange chinese dragon down the drivers side.

After my inspection was complete and I found everthing satisfactory, I hopped in the driverside and took her for a spin, testing her twin turbos.

After a good hour of driving I headed back home and just sat around watching tv for the rest of the day.

When Monday rolled around, I was actually ready for school. I enjoyed meeting new people, and it gave me something to do.

"Pleasssssse Bella." I begged, trying to convince her to let me drive us in my car.

"That thing doesn't look safe at all." She said warily.

I rolled my eyes, "Oh come on. You drive around in a screaming metal death trap, how is that safe?"

"It's safe, because usually, if it hits something, the other thing gets damaged more than it does."

"You're terrible!" I laughed.

"Fine, we will take your car, but just this once." she gave in.

"Yay! Come on!" I dragged her over and forced her into the passenger seat.

"There is hardly any room in here!" She complained.

"It's a sports car. Designed for speed, not comfort. Now lets go, we are going to be late." I said and sped off.

We zoomed to the school, making it there with plenty of time to spare, drawing a lot of attention my ourselves, to Bella utter embarrasment. She was nearly hyperventalating by the time we parked.

She stumbled out gasping "Never again. Do you hear me Katerina May Black!? Never again!"

I got out laughing at her terror, "Relax Bells. It's not like you were going to die or anything."

She just glared daggars at me.

"Alright alright, you don't have to ride with me anymore." I rolled my eyes.

She started to walk away, but stopped dead in her tracks. I could actually hear her heart beat accelerate.

I was by her side in a flash, trying to look human, but hurrying to her.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my eyes darting around for any sign of danger.

I quickly found some. Their scent hit me first, like a ton of bleach had just been dumped on me. I flinched back, my nose wrinkling in disgust.

"That's him." She whispered, "Edward."

She was looking at one of the vampires. A bronze haired one. Actually, the only thing I really noticed was his hair. That was definitely his defining feature. It was just so....big.

"The one with the hair?" I asked, getting a mouth full of bleach as I talked and nearly choking.

She nodded.

I studied all six of them for a long while. They were staring right back, looking almost hostile. They didn't really seem like normal vampires to me, though they definitely smelled like it. It was their eyes mainly. They weren't blood red, but like a topaz color instead.

"Bella, stay away from them." I said so that only she could here, knowing their sinsitive hearing.

"What? Why?" She looked confused.

I felt my wolf moving just beneath my skin, begging to be let out. Her hackles were raised, her teeth bared. And I felt as if these strange vapires could sense it. But it wasn't as if I could grant her wish, even if I had wanted to.

I saw one vamp, a honey blond male, bare his teeth in warning.

I grew very still. Inhumanly still. Wolf still. And just stared right back at him.

"Just do as I say Bella. Please." I told her, not taking my eyes off of them.

She nodded and glanced back and forth between me and them, sensing the tention. She grabbed my arm and tugged, "Come on, we need to get your schedual and locker." I didn't budge at first, but eventually let her lead me away.

"What was that about?" She asked in a whisper.

"Nothing." I answered in a far away voice as memories danced around in my head. Memories of sharp teeth coated in a burning venom cutting through my skin. Memories of my father laying lifeless before me, me helpless to do anything.

After we got my schedual we went our seperate ways, seeing as I was a senior, my parents moved me to a higher grade a long time ago.

I easily found my advanced physics class, and the torture started. After introductions, I was seated at the only available seat in the back, right next to a walking bleach jug. This one had short curly brown hair, and a rather boyish face, he was extremely ripped though. His face looked kind enough, it had a mischevious qualitly to it. I relaxed slightly in my seat. My father always taught me not to judge someone by what they are, just by who they are. Even he got along with most vamps.

"Hi." He said with a big grin.

"Ello." I greeted.

"Sorry about the hostility earlier. You kind of just surprised us with your...unusual sent." He explained.

I smiled, "It's alright. You all kind of surprised me too."

"So you are Bella's cousin?" He asked.

I stiffened, "What do know of her?"

"Nothing nothong." He quickly backtracked, "That was just the rumor going around."

"I am indeed her cousin." I said guardedly.

He quickly changed the subject to a much lighter one, sports and cars, and found that we had a lot in commen. We could be rather good friends someday.

My next class held another leech. This one was very tiny. She looked like a midget compared to me, with short, spikey black hair, and pixie like features. She looked...fun. That was the only word to describe her.

"Hello!" She said brightly as I got seated right next to her. Surprise surprise there.

"Ello." I responded politely.

"Your a werewolf?" She asked to quiet for humans to here.

"Shapeshifter." I said with a slight smile, common mistake.

"Oh." She said and smiled, "Your scent is very odd. It's not as unpleasent and the ones running around the indian reservation. They are also very hostile towards us, which is why we were so guarded when you first pulled up. We thought you were going to explode into...your other self." She explained.

I laughed lighly, "No worries there, trust me."

We kept up conversation for the whole class period, then the next, seeing a she was in that one too, and around the end, she even told me the whole Edward, Bella story.

"It must be very hard for him." I said evenly, not entirely liking the fact that her blood sang to him and he wanted to build a friendship with her, but I decided to let it be. It was her decision I suppose. But if he hurt her, I'd rip him to shreds and burn the peices. I told Alice that too. She assured me it wouldn't happen. Apparently she could see the future, except me. I made her blind, figuratively speaking.

When lunch rolled around, I found Bella and Mr. hair sitting alone at a corner table. He sat as far away as posible without being rude. He was taking percausions. Good.

I sat at a table, far enough away to give them privacy, but close enough to intervene should anything happen.

"You're Katerina, Bella's cousin right?" A guy with a round boyish face asked, "I'm Mike Newton."

"It's Kat. And yes I am." I said with a charming smile, which he returned.

"Mind if I join you?" He asked, pointing to the seat next to mine.

"Actually Mike, that's my seat." Emmett said, sitting down.

"Sorry Mike." Alice apologised, sitting in the other one, followed by a black haired guy that I had yet to meet and a pretty blonde female, leaving Mike to find a different table. I almost felt bad to him.

"Kat, this is my husband, Kyle, and Emmett's wife, Rosalie." Alice introduced.

"Nice to meet ya." I said with a smile, which they returned, Rosalie's looking a bit forced.

"Mind if I join you?" The honey blonde guy that had bared his teeth at me earlier came up.

So far he was the only one that I got a bad vibe from. I didn't trust him, and he could tell. I eyed him suspitiously, but nodded. He sat and looked at me, his look matching my own.

"Kat, this is our brother Jasper." I nodded.

Up close, you could definitely tell he was dangerous. He had cresant shaped scars all over him, looking much like the ones I had around my neck, marks that he eyed with complete suspition. I suppose that I looked dangerous to him as well.

"You have fought vampires." He stated.

"So have you." I countered.

"Not out of hate." He bit.

"I didn't hate them at the time." I said defensively, hackles starting to raise.

"Ease up you guys, we are friends here." Alice said looking at me with worry.

I visible relaxed and it seemed as if all the tention suddenly lifted from the table and light conversation resumed. I chated idley with Alice about a shopping trip that we were planing, but kept shooting Jasper hard glares every chance I got. Who did he think he was challenging me like that? He didn't even know the first thing about me!