Status: In Progress

Don't Hesitate

where the streets have no name

Demi was no stranger to waking up to an empty bed but here, after a few hours full of midnight blackness, dreams and stars it felt cold, cruel even, to roll over towards blinding sunlight and the aching wide space of a room filled with nothing but furniture. She sighed and pulled herself into a sitting position, quietly adjusting the strap of her top as she ran a hand down her face and exhaled into her palm. She felt lethargic in the way you often do after a heavy night's sleep and a heavy night, and she felt distinctly deflated as she slid her legs off the bed and rested her feet on the floor.
"Hold it right there."
A smile grew on her face, a small one, and she glanced sleepily over her shoulder to see Kellin standing there with two cups of coffee and a broad grin.
"Coffee," Demi murmured, "This is becoming our thing, huh?"
Kellin laughed and placed the two cups down on the table on his side, and then crawled across the bed to meet her on his knees leaning down expectantly for a soft kiss which he got as Demi turned around to face him.
"Mom and Kevin are downstairs," he said quietly. "I said I'd come wake you up, then we can do breakfast. I didn't wanna..." He trailed off. "Rush you, or anything."
"No, no, sorry, I was just, real tired," Demi said with a yawn, waving her hand in the air.
Kellin laughed and pulling her head down with his hand at the side of her neck started, "Last night..."
Demi nuzzled, kissed him back. "Was pretty amazing. I'm- sorry, I-"
"No," Kellin said, cutting her off, leaving a kiss on the tip of her nose. "It was the best sex..."
Demi placed her finger to his lips and hushed him as she heard floorboards creaking not far outside the door. "I know," she whispered.
Kellin grinned and placed his lips to hers one last time before he pulled back and got to his feet. Demi followed him, pulling the hair tie down off her wrist to ball her hair up into a loose bun at the nape of her neck. She reached for her bag and pulled on a cardigan, and something tumbled out, clattered across the floor. She squeaked and picked it up, it was her phone, the screen lit up in welcome as she lifted it towards her face which slid into a disarray of emotion.
Kellin held his breath as she fell silent and then watched her throw it back on the top of her bag as if her face hadn't just expressed such powerful feelings. Kellin felt a stirring in his stomach and couldn't look at her as she walked up and past him, offering a smile as she went, because he knew what se'd been looking at and who it was from and he thought to himself, who am I kidding, knowing they were hardly able to escape what was going on outside their microclimate.
"Who was that?" He asked quietly, and she turned to him with a look of sweet confusion.
"Oh, uh," she started, and looked down. "Danny was gonna call me tonight."
Kellin took in a quick breath through his nose. "You should speak to him," he managed, although it was all flat, emotionless. He screwed his hands up together in front of him. "I mean, I have to make some calls too."
"Yeah?" She asked nonchalantly, settling her hair over her shoulder. Kellin nodded, looked around for some words he could toss over at her, names.
"Music stuff, studio stuff," he murmured, making his way down the corridor slowly towards her. listening to himself through his head hearing sounds like they'd been distorted by water and madness.

He caught her by her hand at the top of the stairs and there was a moment where, caught off guard and jumping a little because of it Demi swayed dangerously over the step and when her eyes darted towards Kellin's the were wide, momentarily filled with fear. He'd never seen her look like that, his stomach contracted, and he pulled her back in by her wrist, hearing and feeling her breathing had picked up, her heart beating faster in her chest.
" If you have to call him," he murmured, not looking in her eyes.
Demi pulled her hand back and let her fingers slide up her wrist. "It's just, I haven't talked to him for like, weeks. I don't want him to think something is up."
Kellin looked at her sharply. "You don't want him to think things have changed."
"Well..."
" Don't say they haven't," he whispered. "Because everything's changed. I feel it." He reached up to brush Demi's hair from her face. "So do you," he added with a gentle smile.
She didn't smile back.
"Can we talk about this some other time?" She asked after a moment, offering the kind of smile a small child gives you when it's fallen over and grazed its knee and it trying not to cry.
Kellin's heart dropped but he tried not to let how unbalanced it made him feel show.
"Sure," he replied, and took her hand, and began to lead her downstairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
OK, so this post is many things, but mostly it's an apology!
I'm so sorry I haven't been updating. I moved to Russia in september and things got crazy from there, but now I'm more settled in and heading home for christmas soon and will have time to get on with this. I have no idea if any of y' all subscribers are stil on board (if you are, comment and I'll send you virtual hugs and kisses personally!) and I hope to have this story wrapped up by the end of next month! Which means LOTS of posting because, as it's planned, we're not even half way through yet!

This post is actually unfinished, but I wanted to post it as it is to get some material up. The next chapter with be the rest of this one, so that'll make two shorter chapters, and then I'll be back to my usual length :D