Status: Subscribe + Comment!<3

Kindred Souls

twelve

I didn't talk to Garrett the whole three weeks he was in El Paso, recording The Maine's new album. That didn't mean I didn't think about him, though. I thought about him often, which really pissed me off. Since when did I have a guy plaguing my thoughts? This was so out of character for me.

I knew the day the guys got back only because Alivia had been counting down the days since the day they left. There was a little piece of me that was anxious for Garrett's return. We had left things a little tense and I felt the need to apologize for my behavior.

Alivia was working and I had spent a better part of the day with Lynzie, hanging out with her one final time before she only looked at me as her wedding planner. Even though we weren't talking about her wedding, all I could think about was what I needed to do the following week. I was to meet Lisa at a bridal boutique in two days so she could look for a dress. Not every bride asks you to be there every step of the way, but I guessed she needed the support.

Once Lynzie and I got done with our early dinner, I headed to Happy Endings to visit my best friend. We had been spending a lot of time together lately. I knew it was only because Kennedy was gone, but I liked having my best friend back.

Not even stopping to change, I arrived at the bar in a floral print maxi skirt with a striped crop top and a pair of ridiculously high wedges. My hair was pulled up in a large topknot with a braid wrapped around it. Definitely overdressed for a bar.

Plopping down on a barstool, I sighed. Alivia raised an eyebrow at me, “What's up?” She questioned.

“I'm not planning your wedding.”

She laughed, grabbing a glass and going to the tap to fill it with a dark beer. Walking down the length of the bar, she placed it in front of an older man and took his empty one. When she reappeared in front of me, she handed me a raspberry wheat Shock Top.

“No matter how much you cry, it's not going to happen.”

With another laugh, she shook her head and I took a large gulp, “You know I'll sucker you into it.”

I sighed sadly, “I know, but don't do it for at least two years because by then I'll be okay to plan a wedding again.”

She mulled it over in her head, “Twenty-five is a good age. I can hang.”

I laughed and pressed the bottle to my lips, “So, is Kennedy staying at our place or are you going over to his?”

“I think he's coming to ours.” She smirked and my face twisted in disgust.

“Oh, God. Should I find somewhere else to stay tonight?”

Her smirk only widened, “Yeah, why don't you call Garrett.”

I narrowed my eyes at her, “Oh, you're so funny!” I laughed sarcastically.

Her posture straightened and her smirk turned into a smile, “You can ask him now!”

In confusion, I turned to look at the door. Kennedy, John, and Garrett all walked through and all I could do was laugh. Of course they'd come here.

The smile on Kennedy's face when he saw Alivia made me smile all on its own. It was nice to know he cared about her enough to be excited to see her after not for a few weeks. He immediately leaned across the bar and kissed her, not caring about anyone else in the room.

I let them have their moment, turning on the stool to face the other two. “Hey, Lee.” John greeted with a bright smile, “You're looking fancy tonight in your extra long hippie skirt.”

I snorted, watching him lean against the counter, propped up on his elbow, “Thanks. I'd say the same for you, but you actually look dirty.” I wrinkled my nose up and he laughed.

My eyes landed on the laughing boy standing behind him and it felt like my heart skipped a beat. He was smiling, showing off all of his teeth and making his blue eyes sparkle. I think this is when it all changed for me.

“Hey, Gare.” I said in a small, timid voice. This wasn't like me at all.

“Hey, Leland. How are you?”

I bobbed my head in a so-so way, “Can't complain.” I addressed the both of them now, “How was recording?”

Instantly, they both smiled, “It was awesome. Now we have to take it to the label and hope they like it.” John said.

My brow furrowed, “What do you mean?”

The two boys exchanged looks, “Well, we did this without our label knowing, with our own money. If they don't like it then they won't put it out.” Garrett explained.

There was a silence as I looked back and forth between the two, “Then put it out yourself...?” I suggested.

“If we can!” John said before turning toward the bar. Kennedy and Alivia were still wrapped in their won world which meant she wasn't focused on her customers as much as she should have been.

“I'm going to go ask the other bartender to get us something. Do you want anything?” He directed toward me.

I shook my head and lifted my beer, “I'm good, thanks.” He was gone, then, to the other side of the bar where one of Alivia's colleagues, Mat, was rearranging a few bottles. That left Garrett and I to converse amongst ourselves.

“Hey, “I said again awkwardly.

He chuckled, “Hi.”

“Look, I'm sorry about what happened the last time we saw each other.” I said sincerely and he shrugged. Indifferently.

“It's cool. I shouldn't have been bombarding you with such personal questions.”

I shrugged, mimicking him, “Let's just put it behind us.”

He nodded, “Agreed.”

John came back at that moment, handing Garrett a glass of yellow beer, “Hey, Lee?” He started and I looked at him, waiting for him to go on.

“My birthday is on Thursday and we're having a small party at my friend's place. You should show up.” He finished by taking a sip out of the glass.

“Uh,” I said in mild shock, “okay. What time and where exactly is it?”

He shook his head while swallowing another sip of beer, “Don't worry about that; I'm sure Garrett wouldn't mind taking you.” I looked at Garrett, who was giving John a confused look. “Right, Gare?”

He cleared his throat, “Uh, no, I don't mind. Just be at my house at like 8:30 on Thursday.”

“Wait, what's going on?” Alivia asked from beside me, behind the bar. I looked over my shoulder at her, noticing the way she seemed so much happier than before Kennedy walked through the door.

“Garrett's taking Lee to my party on Thursday.”

Alivia's eyes widened, “Well, that's sweet of him!” I shook my head at her with a slight disbelieving chuckle.

“Yes, very sweet.” Kennedy smirked. I narrowed my eyes at him and he smiled widely at me. In the end, I scoffed and turned away. Clearly Alivia had been talking to him about Garrett and I and seemed to be all for it just like she was.
+

Thursday rolled around quickly and I found myself at a small bridal boutique in Phoenix. Lisa had been running around the store with her mother and best friend with a huge smile on her face. She seemed like she was in bridal gown heaven.

I had arranged the appointment with Michelle, the owner, and was standing off to the side with her. Half the time, I had no idea why people hired wedding planners. I guessed it had to do with the lack of creativity and knowledge of where to look for the right things.

It was a little after seven when Lisa started trying the dresses on. She had found quite a few, but I didn't see her stop breathing at any of them like I knew most women did when they found “the one”. I had a feeling we would be trying out a few different shops before I would see her eyes light up at a dress.

The first dress she tried on was short and a little plain. We all voted against it and she went back into the small dressing room. The next next had lace straps that rested on her shoulders, and a lace bodice with a full skirt. It seemed too big for her body and too much for what her wedding would entail.

“I don't know.” She said, looking down at the white mass.

“Why don't you try that last one we found?” Her mother suggested.

“Remember, you're going to be outside and it's most likely going to be hot.” I reminded her with a small smile.

She nodded and quietly went back into the dressing room. She reappeared a few minutes later, wearing a gown that was lace on the bodice again, but had a sash that wrapped around the waist and tied in a bow. The way the bodice ended made it look like it was two pieces. It didn't look very her.

“That one's nice...” Her best friend, Mona, said.

Lisa groaned, “It's not perfect, though.”

“Sweetie, you don't have to find your dress today. You still have two months. This is only the first store you've tried.” I smiled reassuringly at her and she nodded.

“You're right. There are other stores. Thank you, Leland.” I smiled warmly at her. Maybe reassuring words was the reason why people got planners.
+

By the time Lisa got back into her shorts and tank top and we had set up the next time we would get together, it was eight. I didn't have enough time to go home and change for John's party, so I just headed to Garrett's. I hoped I wasn't too overdressed in my light blue lace dress and nude colored ballet flats. I didn't necessarily care, though.

When I pulled up to Garrett's, it was 8:20. I was a little early, but I didn't think he would mind. Grabbing my purse and phone, I got out of my car and made my way up the walkway, to the front door. I'd never been inside his house, but I had assumed it was huge just by looking at it from the curb.

When I knocked, I didn't stop to think that he still lived with his parents. So when a short blonde woman opened the door, I was confused, but so was she. Startled, I lost my train of thought.

“Can I help you?” She asked, warily.

“Uh, is Garrett home?”

Her brow furrowed, “Who are you?”

“Oh, I'm Leland.”

Recognition crossed her features, “Oh! Come in, Dear.” Her whole demeanor changed as soon as she heard my name. Obviously I must have been mentioned a few times, “I'm sorry, it's just sometimes my son's fans somehow find our house and I wasn't sure if you were one of them.” She rambled and my eyes widened.

His fans knew where he lived? How was that safe?

“Garrett's spoken such high praise of you. I'm glad to finally meet you.” I smiled at her, “You are such a pretty thing.”

“Oh, thank you, Mrs. Nickelsen.”

She was beaming at me, “Well, he's upstairs, getting ready. His room is the last door on the right.” I nodded and began my descent up the staircase once I thanked her.

I heard the loud music coming from the open door at the end of the hall and recognized the song as “Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now” by The Smiths. The closer I got, the more clear his singing got.

“Two lovers entwined pass me by and heaven knows I'm miserable now. I was looking for a job and I found a job and heaven knows I'm miserable now. In my life why do I give valuable time to people who don't care if I live or die?”

I stood in the doorway, watching Garrett move around his room. He was wearing ripped black jeans without a shirt. He was also barefoot and his hair was wet, so he must have just gotten out of the shower.

“In my life, why do I smile at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?” He did a spin, causing me to hold back a snort and cover my mouth.

As the song came to a close, I began to clap. Garrett jumped in surprise and whipped around to look at me with wide eyes, “Uh, hi.” He said, feeling awkward, no doubt..

I laughed, “Hi.”

“How did you get in?”

“I knocked on the door and your mother let me in...?”

He looked like he wanted to kick himself in the head. As he moved to his record player to turn the volume down, I stepped further into his room, taking in the cleanliness of it.

“You're here early.” He stated when he turned back to me.

I shrugged, sitting down on his bed, “I was with a client in Phoenix, so I came straight from there.” I explained after I crossed my legs to keep from flashing him or anyone walking by his room my goods.

“I was betting on you being late, which is why I am half naked.”

“Surprise!” He laughed then walked into his walk-in-closet, emerging a few seconds later, pulling a plain, dark gray raggity t-shirt over his head. “I didn't get John anything.”

Garrett shrugged from in front of his dresser, “I didn't either. He's not expecting it.”

He picked up a bottle and sprayed himself. Instantly, my nostrils filled with cologne. Next, he pulled open the top drawer and plucked a pair of dark blue and red striped socks out. Quickly, he stepped back into his closet to retrieve a pair of brown boots. His hair was practically dry by the time he sat down and put the shoes on.

I watched him hustle around his room in amusement, “Why are you in such a hurry?” I questioned.

He stopped running around and looked at me, “I don't want to keep you waiting.”

Shaking my head, I chuckled, “I don't care, Garrett. Take all the time you need.”

He smiled graciously at me, “Good; I was getting crazy in the brain.”

I laughed again and watched as he stuffed his wallet into his back pocket, humming along to the end of “Unlovable” by The Smiths. He moved into the bathroom where he half-hazardly ran a comb through his hair then exited, shutting the light off on his way. Once again, he walked into the closet, but this time he emerged with a fedora on his head and turned the light off.

He was about to turn the music off when I lifted my hand to stop him, “It's the last song.” I said, referring to “Asleep”, “Just come here and breathe for a second.” I patted the spot on his bed next to me and he smiled lightly, obliging to my request.

As soon as he sat next to me, I leaned my cheek against his arm. He looked down at me curiously, but didn't say anything. Nothing when I wrapped my arms around his left and sighed. He just let me be, realizing I had something on my mind.

“My dad used to play this album all the time around the house. He would sing this all the time, over and over. My mom got so sick of it. She thought it was one of the most depressing songs. I guess it is a little bit sad, but I don't have any sad memories with it.” I smiled at the memory of my father dancing around to The Smiths as he cooked breakfast on Saturday mornings.

As the piano went on and Morrissey's voice faded out, I got a sad case of nostalgia. I missed my parents. “I love this song.” I said just as it ended. Sitting up, I let go of Garrett's arm.

He grinned down at me, “Your dad seems like a cool guy.”

I nodded with a half-hearted smile, “He had his moments.”

I think Garrett realized how bummed out I was getting because he quickly jumped up, “Well, let's not get down about anything when we should be celebrating John's day of birth! Let's go!” He exclaimed cheerfully, extending his arm out for me.

I placed my hand in his and he pulled me up. As soon as I was stable on my feet, he let go of my hand and grabbed his keys off his dresser. Once he turned his record player off and placed the vinyl back in its sleeve, he motioned for me to follow him out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heh. Hey guys! I'm determined to get back into the swing of things with this story. I've been really bad at neglecting my stories lately. Not just this one, but This Is Torturous, as well. I don't really know what's wrong. I've been sort of busy, I guess. And not really inspired, but I'm going to make that change once Christmas is over. Anyways, I hope someone still wants to see how this story goes and what happens. The next few chapters are some of my favorite, so hopefully it doesn't take me another two months to update. (:

I love this one