Status: Subscribe + Comment!<3

Kindred Souls

three

Drew Bradley was no one I wanted to associate myself with. He was your typical frat guy. He played baseball at ASU and was so full of himself I wondered how he walked around with such a big head. I liked the creative, artsy-fartsy type. Drew was a jock asshole. He drove a lifted truck and listened to Nickelback and a bunch of bullshit gangster rap that talked way too much about “killing faggots”. I wanted to kill myself the moment I choked on the amount of Axe body spray he was cloaked in.

His very ugly, very loud truck pulled up to the house at seven-thirty – a half an hour late. He didn't come up to the door, but instead proceeded to honk until I walked outside. Wait, he gave one last honk when I got to the door with an ugly chuckle. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

Damn girl, you be lookin' hot tonight.” Were the first words he said to me. I was just about to shut the door, but stopped to stare at him. Was this guy serious? I almost jumped out and walked back into my house.

Alivia had to be a fucking lunatic. “No more dates after this” was all I could think as Drew licked his lips, visibly checking me out. I might have slammed his door a little bit more harder than I should have.
+

The date was horrible. He took me to McDonald's because that's “all he could afford” being a college student and all. Except he made me pay for my own. I was about to walk home after that. After our “dinner”, we went to the movies, where, no surprise, I had to pay for my own ticket to a movie I didn't even want to see.

After one too many failed attempts to feel me up in the back of the theater only forty-five minutes through the movie, I sneaked off to the bathroom, only to walk out the door. We were in a shopping center about three miles from Happy Endings, so I ended up walking. It was Arizona during summer, though. It was almost nine and had only gotten down to 98 degrees. Fuck summer.

“Whoa.” Alivia said when I thrusted the door open with a little more force than necessary. Everyone in the bar stopped to look at me. My makeup was running down my face along with the sweat that had formed along my hairline. “What the hell happened?” She asked, stunned.

“Drew Bradley happened.” Was all I said before heading off to the bathroom to wash my face and put my hair up off my neck.

When I felt a little cleaner, I reentered the bar and scanned the room, looking for a place to sit. It was then I recognized the copper haired boy sitting my himself near the furthest wall. “You know, I'm starting to think you spend more time here than your own home.” I said as I sat on the stool next to him.

His head turned to look at me and he laughed, “Maybe I do. Who cares, though?”

I shrugged, “I don't.”

He eyed me curiously as he took a drink from his bottle of Corona, “So, what brings you here tonight?”

“I just escaped from the worst date I've ever been on and I need a drink or three.”

His eyebrows raised, “You escaped?”

I nodded, “Yup. I told him I was going to the bathroom, but instead walked all the way here.”

His eyes were showing me he was intrigued, “Where were you?”

“The movie theater over by Target.”

His eyes widened, “That's pretty far to walk so late and in such heat.”

“And in these fucking creepers I'm wearing,” He turned his attention to my feet for a brief moment to see the white creepers I stupidly decided to wear. I shrugged, “I was desperate.”

He smirked and took another drink of his beer. Which reminded me that I needed alcohol in my system as quickly as possible. Just as I turned to yell at Alivia, she appeared, taking the cap off a raspberry wheat Shocktop.

“So, what happened?” She asked as she handed the bottle bottle to me.

After a very long, very much needed gulp, I sighed, “He was late, honked until I walked out, told me, and I quote, “damn, you be lookin' hot” then proceeded to lick his lips and check me out openly as I got in his ugly, lifted, frat boy truck.” Alivia cringed.

“He blasted some thug rapper that only rapped about bitches and getting his dick sucked over gun shots all the way to McDonald's.” Garrett snorted from next to me, “He didn't pay for my food and suggested a quickie in the parking lot before we left for the movies.” Alivia's mouth dropped.

“We talking about him all night, we saw the movie he wanted to see. He all but groped me in the theater and hinted at a blowjob. I couldn't take it anymore, so I got up and left and walked here.”

“Oh, my God, I am so sorry, Lee.” She was about to go on, but she got called off my a customer, “I'll be right back.” She said before disappearing.

The bottle met my lips and I practically downed what was left. “Sounds like you had a shitty night.” Garrett said.

I shot him a look, “Oh, it was definitely shitty. It was the epitome of shitty. My night was the equivalent of a shit factory.”

He laughed, “I'm sorry to hear that.”

I shrugged, “At least Aly won't set me up on dates anymore.”

He nodded and took another drink. There was a silence between us. I was scratching the label on my beer with my thumbnail while he tapped his fingers against the bar to the beat of “Down In The Valley” by The Head and The Heart. It was one of my favorite songs so I smiled at the fact that he seemed to know it.

As I sat next to him, listening to the song and taking small sips of what was left of my beer, I began to think. Why was he here by himself on a Tuesday night?

My curiosity got the best of me, “Why are you really here by yourself?”

His blue eyes lifted and met mine, “I was supposed to meet my friend here, but something came up and he couldn't make it. I didn't know until I was already here.” I nodded, not saying anything else, accepting his reason, “That guy really took you to McDonald's?” Garrett asked once the song was over.

I turned and looked at him again, “Yup.”

“What a douchebag. At least go somewhere good like In-n-Out or Chipotle.”

I chuckled, “But he's a college student.” I said sarcastically.

“So? I'm a broke musician, but I would have taken you, at least, to Sizzler.”

I laughed loudly, “Oh, thanks.” He smiled, “I'm more of a Hometown Buffet type of girl, though.”

“I think you'd be pushing it with that one.” My smile widened at the fact that we were playing off of each other's sarcasm so easily, “In all seriousness, that guy was a dick. You deserve a nice restaurant.”

“Well thank you. I think so too.”

He laughed, “Okay, I can check “meet a self-assured girl” off my list of things to do before I die.” He mimed writing a check mark in the air.

I chuckled, “I'm just saying, I think I deserve a nice dinner at Lucille's every now and again.”

“Oh, so you're a barbecue kind of girl??”

I nodded, lifting my bottle again, “I love me some macaroni and cheese.” I said out of the corner of my mouth before placing the bottle to my lips again.

His nose scrunched up in disgust, “I'm more of a potatoes kind of guys.”

“You wouldn't be able to tell by how scrawny you are.”

“Hey!” He exclaimed with a laugh, “I have some muscles.”

I proceeded to look him up and down, in search of the “muscles” he was talking about, “Uh huh. Where are they then?”

With a smirk, he straightened his back and slapped his hand to his stomach, “All right here, I have an eight pack underneath this shirt.”

I laughed loudly. Who knew this kid would be this much of a character? “Oh, I'm sure you're right, Garrett.”

His posture dropped back down to his previous position, “I am. You'll see sooner or later.”

I smirked, “Is that a promise?”

He smirked right back, “I guess you'll just have to wait and see.” Sadly, I hadn't had this great of a conversation with a guy in a very long time. Shameless flirting never hurt anyone.
+

“You and Garrett were looking pretty comfy tonight.” Alivia said on the way home from the bar.

Garrett had stayed with me until Alivia was off. I didn't ask him to and even told him he didn't have to, but he insisted so I didn't object. We didn't talk about anything important, just bullshitted until Alivia was telling me we were leaving.

“He's a nice guy. So what?” I was a bit buzzed from the amount of alcohol I had consumed so I couldn't quite catch the hidden meaning behind her words. The lights we passed were blurring together at an alarming rate. I stared at them, not paying much attention to my best friend.

“He's nice and cute.”

My head turned so fast I got dizzy, “Is he? I didn't notice.”

Alivia rolled her eyes, “You're ridiculous, Lee. Why don't you ask him out?” We were turning into the neighborhood where our house was and all I could do was wish we'd get there sooner, finally realizing why she brought Garrett up in the conversation.

My brow furrowed, “Because I don't want to?”

Now she gave me a look, “Come on, Leland.”

I groaned, “Alygator, how many times do I have to tell you? I don't need a boyfriend to make me happy. I'm not like you, I don't strive for love. Quite frankly, it makes me sick.” Just as I finished, she was pulling into the driveway, next to my yellow Volkswagen Beetle.

“Leland, you're a wedding planner.”

I shrugged and opened the door, “Eh.”

Her engine cut off as she retracted her keys, “I just don't want you to end up alone.”

I smiled at her concern, “I won't, Best Friend. Good love will find me, but I'm not looking for it. That's when the best kind of love happens.”

She let the subject drop, but, I think, only because I barged through the front door and straight for my room before she could put anymore of her two cents in my love life.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love that you guys seem to like this story. It makes me happy because I wasn't even going to post it because I thought it was pretty stupid. You guys get a new chapter because you like it so much. :3
As you can see, they've actually hung out now. They don't necessarily have a friendship or anything, yet. But it's in development. (:
Thank you vivid dreams, katiebug16, and peculiarity for commenting. You guys seriously all put a smile on my face.

apparel