Status: Subscribe + Comment!<3

Kindred Souls

four

The morning after my horrible night that Garrett somehow turned around, I had an appointment with Lisa and Shaw to look at a few venues. They wanted an outdoor wedding with a rural, earthy feel. I had been planning a bunch of rustic weddings lately, so I felt like it would be easy.

Since I would be driving the happy couple around, I borrowed Alivia's car, seeing as she had a brand new four-door Ford Fusion opposed to my two-door Volkswagen Beetle. I loved my car, but having tow doors was always a bit of a hassle.

The first place we stopped at was a very large house in Mesa called the Stonebridge Manor. I had already done a wedding there that turned out incredibly nice, but I wasn't sure if Lisa and Shaw would like it. My suspicions were correct; Lisa thought it was way too big for what she was thinking.

So we got back in the car and drove to another possibility called Venue at the Grove. It was more rustic with more trees. I was even impressed by it. As we walked around, I could see the excitement in Lisa's eyes. She kept pointing things out to Shaw with the biggest smile on her face.

“We can set up the alter right here.” I said as we walked around the backyard, “You said you wanted to get married at sunset, right?” Lisa nodded, “Well, right here would be perfect, so the sun would set perfectly behind you.”

“Oh! And we can put lights around the trees and hang lights from tree to tree. I can picture if now. It's so beautiful.” I smiled at her enthusiasm. She was so genuinely happy about it. I wi shed to be that happy about anything.

“We have another place to look at, but if you're as happy with this place as you look, then I don't think we need to see it.” I smiled warmly at her.

Lisa shook her head, “No, I think this is the one. I can feel it in my gut.” She looked up at her fiance, “What do you think, Baby?”

“I think it's great.” He smiled then leaned down and kissed her. Oh to be young and in love.

Clapping my hands once, I faked a smile at them, “All right, well, let's go see when this place is available to book.”
+

Lisa and Shaw were set to be married on October 1, 2011. That meant I had about three and a half months to plan their big day to be exactly what they wanted it to be. It would be simple. Lisa was very crafty and already knew what she wanted. I had to come in, though, and help her organize everything.

Our next appointment would involve setting everything down. Putting a layout to the ground and picking a theme. That day wouldn't come until the week of July 10, though.

Once I dropped the couple off at their home, I headed straight home so I could take a nap. It was too hot to be looking at outdoor wedding venues all day. I needed a nap in an igloo. My room and an air conditioner would have to suffice.

“Finally!” Alivia exclaimed as soon as I walked through the door. I raised an eyebrow at her in question, “Kennedy invited me over to his friends' house for a barbecue/pool party and I wasn't about to drive your car over there.”

My mouth dropped in offense, “What's wrong with my car?!”

She stopped piling things into her bag to look at me, “It is bright fucking yellow and tiny. And ugly”

I rolled my eyes, “Well, have fun with Kennedy.”

She smiled, “You should come!”

Quickly, I shook my head, coming up with an excuse, “Too tired, maybe next time.”

Alivia shrugged, “I'll tell Garrett you said “hi” and that you want to bone him.” I rolled my eyes as she practically ran out toe door. That girl would never learn.

Just like I planned, I lied around my room and napped the rest of the day with the occasional episode of Law and Order: SVU to occupy me between. I turned the air down enough where I needed a blanket, and cuddled into Ryan's gray and orange fur.

Ryan was my first pet ever. My parents never liked animals because they were messy and I never got around to actually getting one when I moved out until recently. She was the best kitten ever.

I was having an extremely fucked up dream thanks to Law and Order when I was woken up by the slam of a door and loud voices. Groaning, I sat up and stretched. Ryan, in response to my movement, sat up from where she was pressed against my leg and yawned. My bones cracked as I stood. Sometimes I hated sleeping for too long just because my body always ached from hardly moving.

The voices that woke me up belonged to those of my best friend and her boy toy, Kennedy. I hadn't really talked to him since every time I saw him, his attention was only on Alivia, but he seemed like a nice enough guy.

“God, you guys are loud.” I complained as I walked into the living room.

“Oh, hey Leland.” Alivia said cheerfully from the kitchen, which I could see from the living room. Her chocolate brown hair was wet and up in a “fun bun” as I liked to call them. She was also wearing a sundress, which showed off the colorful tattoos on her arms and shoulders. Alivia's tattoos made her look tougher than she really was. In fact, Alivia was the least tough person I knew. She just had a thing for tattoos and it showed.

“Hey, Leland.” Kennedy said from the breakfast bar that separated the kitchen from the living room.

I smiled politely at him, “Hey, Kennedy.”

My legs took me to the kitchen, where Alivia was getting the stove ready to pop popcorn. Her eyes grazed my appearance, “Uh, Lee, you might want to put on some clothes.” She said as I reached over her to grab an apple that was sitting in a bowl on the counter.

I was wearing a pair of Victoria's Secret boyshort underwear and a baggy Manchester Orchestra t-shirt I got from one of their shows, “Eh, fuck it.” I said with little interest then dragged myself over to the refrigerator to get a bottle of water.

“We brought leftovers for you from the barbecue. There's a cheeseburger and a hot link.” Alivia explained, “I know how much you can't cook, so I hope that will do.” She was such a mothering type. I swore Alivia would be the best mother ever.

“Thanks, that was really thoughtful of you. I just woke up, though, so I'm not hungry.”

She nodded in understanding, pouring the kernels into the pot on the stove, “Kennedy and I are going to watch movies.” Her eyes met mine, telling me that she wanted me gone. My eyes flickered to Kennedy, who was watching us in interest.

“Oh? Well, I think I might go to the gym.” I nodded as I thought it over, “Yeah, I'm going to call Lynzie and see if she wants to go with me.”

Alivia's brow furrowed, Lynzie?”

I nodded as I shuffled around the kitchen, putting the untouched apple back into the bowl, “You remember Lynzie? We worked together at Urban Outfitters.”

“You only worked there for two weeks. You couldn't stand the people you worked with.”

I had rounded the breakfast bar as she spoke and was now standing behind Kennedy, who snorted, “Because they were all stuck up bitches who thought they were better than everyone else. Lynzie is my gym partner. I swear you've met her before”

Alivia shrugged, pouring the kernels in the pot, “Whatever you say, Leland.”
+

By the time I got to 24 Hour Fitness, it was nearing eleven. Lynzie had agreed to go with me despite the late hour. We tended to go late at night because there weren't a lot of people there.

Lynzie Gellar was a tall blonde, who, despite what everyone thought, was a very intelligent girl and was the only one at Urban Outfitters I could tolerate. I thought I wanted to work in retail, but I was so wrong. We shared a mutual hate for stupid people. As soon as I quit, she quit and got a job working for a company where she rarely had to deal with anyone.

“Hey!” Lynzie greeted as soon as I got out of my car.

“Hey, how are you?” I asked, pulling her into a hug.

“Pretty fucking fantastic thanks to this ring on my finger.” She smiled then shoved her left hand in my face. I knew I should have been happy, and I was, but why was everyone getting hitched so young?

“Oh! Wow! Congratulations!” I exclaimed cheerfully. She was smiling widely and just glowing. She was truly happy, “When did Michael pop the question?” We were walking toward the door now. I was suddenly dreading the next hour or so.

“Last week. He took me to dinner at the restaurant where we had our first date and got down on one knee right before dessert.” She gushed.

Gag me with a spoon. How cliché and boring, “Awh! How sweet!” I cooed, showing my pass to the person working the front desk.

“Yeah, I thought it was romantic.” She smiled a she admired the shiny rock on her finger. I inwardly rolled my eyes. How was I a wedding planner?

“So, why did you want to come out to the gym tonight?” Lynzie asked a bit later as we walked on treadmills next to each other.

In response, I shrugged, “Alivia had her new boy at the house and wanted me to leave. I think they were going to bang.”

Lynzie snorted, “Bang?”

I chuckled, “Yes, bang.”

She shook her head at me, “Anyways, so Alivia found someone new to cling to?”

I nodded, “I guess they've been circling each other for a while. He's a regular at the bar.”

Her eyebrow rose, “So, he's an alcoholic?”

“He's in a band, so yeah, he's an alcoholic.”

She laughed, “Wow, a band? How is she going to handle that? I mean, she's needy.”

I shrugged, “Don't ask me.”

“And what about you?” I gave her a questioning glance, “Anyone you're banging lately?”

I snorted as she smirked, “Uh, no.” I answered, “You all need to stop pestering me about my love life. It'll happen when it happens.” I pressed the up button on the speed. My legs picked up to keep up with the belt I was jogging on. Lynzie looked over at me with an eyebrow raised. “What?!”

She shook her head, “Nothing.” She mused then turned to look in front of her.

I wasn't taking her shitty answer, “No, really, what?”

She shrugged, “You just keep saying it'll happen when it happens, but what about your needs?”

My brow furrowed, “My needs?”

She looked at me exasperatedly, “Your sexual needs, Leland.” She exclaimed.

I looked around, hoping no one heard her. It was late, but the gym had a few people occupying it. An older guy working out on an elliptical was looking over at us with a large smirk. “Lynzie, my needs get satisfied.”

She rolled her eyes, “One night stands and your vibrator aren't going to cut it in the long run.” My eyes shifted to the old guy. He winked at me which caused me to shoot him a look of disgust, “And I know you say you like your independence and your space, so why don't you find someone else who likes their independence and their space? Someone that meets your criteria.”

I rolled my eyes, “It's not that easy, Lynz.”

“Sure it is. There are a ton of guys out there that would gladly let you have your independence.”

“Yeah, and they're all douchebags! I don't want to be with someone that wants his independence to sleep with other girls. If I'm going to be with someone, I expect them to only be with me, and let me have my space. No open relationships.” I pressed the up button on the speed a few more times. I was full on running now.

“Then you're not going to get to sleep with other guys. I know how you are, Lee. You can't stay in one place for too long. Don't string someone along.” I shot her a look, but didn't say anything.

When I got back to the house, I was ready to crawl in bed with a carton of ice cream which would have defeated the purpose of my trip to the gym. As I walked to my room, I heard giggling coming from Alivia's. Rolling my eyes, I shoved open my door and shut it behind me. I was in an unpleasant mood.

It seemed as if everyone around me was in love or on their way to being in love. Everyone was settling down. But they were all so young! Who wants to be tied down in their early twenties? Who actually has enough insight on their lives at such a young age that they know just exactly who they want to spend the rest of their lives with?

Everyone is so blinded by the idea of finally getting married. They see one of their friends doing it and all of a sudden it's like there's a timer going off in their heads and everyone is racing everyone to see who can get married first. Last one standing obviously has something wrong with them because isn't this what you're supposed to do in your twenties? What ever happened to the independent girl? The one that didn't need a relationship to define how successful they are in life? It looked like I was the only one left with that mentality. Hopefully my sour mood would sweeten by morning.
+

It was Thursday, June 30, the day before July. This meant the weather was just going to get hotter as the days dragged on. I hated summers in Arizona. Hated them. In fact, I didn't even know why I lived there, I hated the weather so much. This is why I never did anything on my days off in the horrid season. Instead, I stayed inside with the air on, the blinds closed, and the lights off.

Alivia was at school. We didn't have lunch plans, so I had to fend for myself. It wouldn't be too bad.

I was lying on the couch with Ryan, watching a marathon of Psych on Cloo when I heard a door open in the hallway. Alivia was at school, so I was confused. My brow furrowed as I looked away from the fake psychic and to the hall. My eyes connected with a disheveled looking boy. He froze.

My eyebrow raised as a smirk spread across my lips, “Well well, what do we have here?” I asked as I sat up, bringing Ryan down to my lap rather than my chest where she was cuddling.

“Uh, I can explain.”

I snorted, “Please don't. I don't need you to explain the way you fucked my best friend.”

His cheeks flared. Just as he opened his mouth to defend himself, his phone began ringing from his front pocket. In a rush, he pulled it out and answered it, “Hey, are you here?” Kennedy suddenly became frazzled, “What do you mean you can't make it? Fine. Whatever – shut up! Bye.” The phone was back in his pocket and his eyes were on me again, “Hey, uh, Leland? Are you busy right now?”

“Define busy. If lying on my couch, watching a black guy and a white guy solve crimes is busy, then yes, I am busy.” Ryan stood up while I was talking and jumped off my lap. I watched as she walked around the coffee table and collapsed on her side in laziness.

“Do you think you can do me a favor and drive me to Scottsdale?”

Both of my eyebrows raised in shock, “Why, exactly, do you think I would say yes?”

His eyes widened in plea, “Because you're a nice person?”

I laughed, “You don't even know me!”

He sighed in a mix aggravation and desperation, “Please, Leland? Garrett was supposed to pick me up because he only lives a few miles away, but he forgot and he's already there.”

With a sigh, I stood up, “Fine.” He smiled, “Let me put on some clothes and get my keys.

“Thank you!”

I put no effort into my choice of clothes, seeing as I was just dropping him off at the place his band practiced. I thought a pair of high waisted shorts and a tank top with a bandeau and a pair of sandals would suffice. Not to mention, I just threw my hair up in a very messy bun on top of my head and wore sunglasses to cover the fact that I wasn't wearing makeup.

The plan was to drop him off, drive through Del Taco for taco thursday then head home. Kennedy had other plans. He conned me into heading inside to watch the practice as a “thank you” for driving him there. I tried everything to get out of it, but he wasn't having it, and I was a little intrigued.

The practice space was pretty spacious, but there wasn't really much to it other than a plethora of instruments on a few rugs and a couch and some chairs. The only ones occupying the room where Garrett, Jared, John, and another boy with hair almost as long as mine. They all looked at me in question as I walked in in front of Kennedy.

“Leland is here because she was nice enough to step away from her busy day of watching Psych to drive me here.” Kennedy explained to his bandmates.

I shot him a look, “I wouldn't have had to if you didn't spend the night inside my best friend” His eyes narrowed at me while the others laughed.

“Well, have a seat, Leland.” John said as he motioned to the couch pushed against the wall in the corner, “You're in for a treat.” I rolled my eyes with a laugh.

I watched them go back and forth with ideas and rework some of their songs. I'd never listen to or even heard of their band before I met them, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. Their sound was nice and Jared could definitely play the guitar.

About an hour into the practice, Jared started playing a riff and John started in on the piano. I guess they had something new going because that's when Garrett walked over. “They've been writing new music nonstop.” He said once he was collapsed on the couch next to me. I simply just nodded as I swayed my foot to the beat they were jamming, “What are you thinking so far?” He asked.

My eyes drifted over to him. His hair was messy and he looked like he needed a shower; his face was breaking out. His eyes were gleaming, though, with interest. Interest in what I thought of his band's music, “You guys are pretty good. It's cool to see you guys hash things out and see the roughness.”

He nodded with a smile, “What kind of music do you listen to?”

“Anything Jack White does.” He laughed at my answer, “And Alison Mosshart. I love her.”

“She's in The Dead Weather, right?”

I nodded, “Yeah, and The Kills.”

Recognition crossed his features, “Oh! Yes, her!”

“Hmm... I enjoy Cold War Kids, Delta Spirit, Death Cab For Cutie, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Grizzly Bear, and a lot more, but I don't want to list them.”

He nodded again with another smile, “Sweet. I love music. Music is my life.”

I chuckled, “Good thing you're in a band then.”

He laughed, “Yeah, good thing.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for how shitty this chapter is, holy crap. But at least you get a little more insight on to how she feels about relationships and marriage. The next one is Fourth of July, if I remember correctly. Things pick up after that a bit.
Thank you vivid dreams, elleeann, hipsterism, and peculiarity; for commenting! :3

Attire | Lynzie