Status: Subscribe + Comment!<3

Kindred Souls

five

It seemed like Kennedy was always over at our house. It didn't bother me one bit because it seemed like him and Alivia really got along well. As long as she wasn't moping around because “no one” liked her, I was happy. And he seemed to like her a whole lot; whenever he looked at her, it was like she invented air or something. He was completely captivated by her. It was the same with Alivia. She listened to every word he uttered with amazement and worshipped him, to put it simply.

I never understood how two people could be so wrapped up in each other, like they couldn't breathe if they were apart. They were basically on top of each other when they were together and I couldn't get how they were able to do that. It was baffling.

I liked my space and freedom. This was why I didn't do relationships. People are needy and desperate for attention and acceptance. It was as if all of these girls needed that title of being someone's girlfriend to define who they were. Be your own person. I didn't need that label. I liked not being tied to someone. To each their own, though.

It was Fourth of July and Alivia dragged me to some barbecue Kennedy was going to. I didn't necessarily want to go because she would just be all over her boyfriend the whole time, but I had nothing else planned.

The barbecue was at one of the boys from The Maine's house. I didn't care who. All I cared about was the pool and the beer. As soon as we arrived, I located the ice chest and extracted a Heineken. It wasn't my favorite, but it was the only thing available. I knew I should have brought my own.

Just as I predicted, Alivia ran off to find Kennedy as soon as we got there, leaving me lone, nursing the neck of the green bottle. At least I knew some people, and I wasn't exactly shy.

Wiping the sweat forming at my hairline with my wrist, I looked around the backyard. There were a bunch of twenty-something year olds hanging out, drinking beer. Some were in the pool, some where sitting at a few tables, and some were playing a game of horseshoes on the side of the house.

I spotted John standing at the edge of the pool by a table that two girls and a guy sat at. My feet carried my over to them. “Hey, Leland.” The lanky singer said when I walked up to the group.

“Hey, John. How are you?” I asked with a smile.

“I'm doing fantastic. What about yourself?” He was only wearing a pair of swim shorts that looked like they were too short for his long legs. He was holding a Heineken like my own and looked a bit buzzed already.

“I'm doing swell.”

“Wonderful.” He smiled then looked down at the people he had been conversing with before I interrupted, “Guys, this is Alivia's best friend, Leland.” So Alivia was on a first name basis with these people? “Leland, this is one of my best friends, Rex.” The man he was referring to leaned forward and shook my hand with a smile and a “hello”. “And these two lovely ladies are Ashley and Nicole.”

I shook both of their hands and smiled, “Alivia told us you're a wedding planner.” Ashley said. She was a dark haired, short girl who had a pretty face and a youthful aura.

“Yeah, I am as of right now.” I replied.

“That's really cool. You must love it.” Nicole said. Nicole had auburn colored hair and wide, bright blue eyes. She was tall and thin like a model.

“It has its moments. I'm thinking about changing careers, though.” I pressed the bottle to my lips and took a sip.

“Oh, really? To what?” Rex asked and I shrugged.

“I'm not sure, yet. Whatever sounds appealing at the time.”

John snorted, “Is that how you got into wedding planning?”

I nodded, “That seems a bit flighty, don't you think?” Rex questioned.

“Yeah, but I get bored easily. I like to do things I like and I'm starting to dislike what I'm doing.” I shrugged again, “So I move on.”

They all stared at me, “Man, I wish I had the guts to do that.” Ashley said.

I grinned at her, “Just do what you like. Who cares what happens if you're enjoying yourself?”

John smiled widely at me, “I like you, Leland. You know what's up.”

I snorted and rolled my eyes, “Whatever you say, John.”

Just then, I heard my name being called out and wet slaps against the cement. I turned as did everyone I was talking to, “Did you come to apologize for the cruel joke you played on my at the bar the other night?”

Realization washed over me as I finally placed the familiar face with our meeting.

“Halvo, shut up! Leland is way too smart for you.” John said then put the bottle of beer to his lips.

“Are you calling me dumb?” The dripping wet boy asked. A puddle was forming underneath him which was beginning to collect at my feet.

My eyebrow rose, “Are you calling me dumb? I mean, for all you know, I could be some genius and you're just average and he was actually complimenting you.”

Eric blinked at me then turned to John, “Thanks for the compliment, Buddy.”

John laughed, “No problem, Man.”
+

By the time I was comfortable enough in the backyard of half-strangers, only about two hours had gone by. I'd seen Alivia and Kennedy but hadn't talked to either since they were in their own world. I mostly hung out with Ashley and Nicole at the table by the pool. People kept coming and going, but only complained about the heat and left to get in the pool.

As I looked around the backyard, I realized who was missing from the group. That's when I turned to Pat, who was sitting with us for the time being.

“Hey, where's Garrett?”

Pat's child-like eyes turned to me then looked around the backyard, “Oh, him and Trey are coming later. They had a family thing to do first.”

My brow furrowed, “Who's Trey?”

“His older brother.” He answered.

My mouth formed an “o” before my eyes scanned the backyard again. Alivia and Kennedy were messing around in the pool in their little love bubble. I rolled my eyes at them before finishing off my second bottle of Heineken.

My feet carried me over to the ice chest to get another one. As soon as I got back to the table, I pressed the top of the bottle of the edge of the table and popped the cap off with one swift motion. The loud noise caught the attention of John in the pool – who I found out was hosting the party.

“Hey, Leland, why don't you come in?” He yelled over the sounds of the splashes in the water he was lounging in.

My eyes drifted to the happy couple and my nose scrunched up. They were giggling to themselves and Kennedy looked like he most likely wanted to eat her face. “Nah, I'm fine. Your pool will probably turn purple and my hair green. I don't need fucked up green hair and you don't need to explain to your parents why they need to drain and refill their pool.”

He rolled his eyes playfully, “Whatever. Sweat to death then.”

I smirked, “Oh, I will. Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.” He shook his head with a laugh then reached for his drink the same time I took a gulp from mine.
+

The sun was close to setting when Garrett and his brother showed up. As soon as they walked into the backyard, everyone cheered and clapped. I laughed at the embarrassed smirk on his face as he made it down the patio steps. His brother, on the other hand, cheered right along with them mockingly. Clearly, he was just a bit more outgoing. And blonde. From where I was sitting, I could still tell they both had the same eyes.

I paid no more attention to the brothers and instead went back to my conversation with Ashley about the latest movies we'd seen. I enjoyed talking to this girl. I could tell we would be great friends if we ever actually talked after this one time.

It wasn't long until Alivia finally realized I was there and alive. She came strolling up with Kennedy trailing behind her, fingers laced, and plopping the grass next to me, bringing her boyfriend down with her. “Leland!” She exclaimed, a bit drunkenly. Shoot me in the face. Please. I looked at her, waiting for her to go on, “Where have you been all night, Best Friend?”

“I've been sitting right here. Where have you been?” I asked casually, already knowing the answer.

Her brow furrowed, “I don't know.” She turned to Kennedy, “Kenny, where have we been?”

He laughed, “We've been in the pool, Babe.”

Alivia's eyes lit up, “Oh! Yes! We were in the pool, Bumble Lee.”

That's when Garrett walked up with a plate full of leftovers from earlier. He sat down in the chair Alivia failed to see when she came over and looked around. “Hey.” He greeted then popped a chip in his mouth.

“Dude, didn't you eat at your house?” Kennedy asked with a slight chuckle.

Garrett shrugged, “It was calling my name.” He said before taking a large bite out of the cheeseburger.

“You better watch out, Garrett, or you're finally going to gain weight.” Ashley said and he rolled his eyes.

“Whateva, whateva.”

“I do what I want.” I finished for him. His eyes lifted and locked with mine and a smile spread across his lips. I returned the gesture.

All of a sudden, Alivia gasped from the grass, “Oh! Leland, I found the perfect guy for you!”

I looked down at her in disgust, “Alivia, what happened to our agreement?”

She stared up at me, eyes wide and hazy from the alcohol, “But Lee.”

“No. I went on that horrendous date last month with Drew and you said that was it. Now drop it.”

Alivia's whole demeanor changed. Her once happy, drunk attitude turned sour, “Whatever.” She said before sloppily getting up and stalking off with Kennedy behind her like a lost puppy.

“Whoa, what was that about?” Ashley asked.

With a sigh, I collapsed into the back of the chair, “Alivia has been setting me up on blind dates forever even though I keep telling her I'm completely capable of living single. She has it in her head that you need a boyfriend to make you happy, so that means I'm some depressed girl, waiting for her prince charming.” I took a breath, “Anyways, I got sick of the dates and she told me if I went on one with this douche of a guy, she would stop. So I did. And it was one of the worst dates I've ever been on.”

“He took her to McDonald's. And made her pay for her own food.” Garrett said through a mouth full of burger.

Ashley's mouth dropped in shock, “Nu-uh.”

I nodded, “He kept trying to talk me into giving him head while we saw some stupid movie.”

“That he made her pay for.” Garrett added and I nodded in confirmation.

“Holy shit, that sounds like the worst date of life.”

I let out a breath, “I've sadly been on worse.”

Ashley's mouth dropped again, “Really?”

I nodded, “This one guy told me to dress in black and took me to his grandmother's funeral.”

Garrett's brow furrowed, “What the fuck?” I nodded again, “Did he seriously think that was going to work?”

I shrugged, “Obviously he mistook me for some gothic, morbid chick who gets off on dead bodies.”

Ashley shook her head, “I am so glad I have Tim.”

I turned back to Garrett, “What about you? You got anyone to be thankful for?”

Swallowing his last bite of cheeseburger, he shook his head, “Nope. I've been down that road, but it ended pretty messy. I don't need a relationship.”

I smiled, “See! You get it!” I lifted my hand as I leaned forward, “High five!”

He chuckled, but obliged to my request and slapped his palm against mine.

Ashley laughed, “Wow, why don't you guys just date?”

I laughed at the idea, “Sorry, Buddy, but I am an independent girl and I don't need someone to tie me down.”

He scoffed, “I was just about to say the same to you.”

I smiled in amusement, “Oh, really? You were just about to tell me you're an independent girl?

He smirked, “Fuck off.” I laughed in response.
+

We watched the fireworks from the backyard and enjoyed the rest of the night. I seemed to get along with Garrett very well. He was an easy guy to talk to and had some interesting ideas. He wasn't terrible to look at either.

As the party started dying down, I was ready to go home. I couldn't find my drunken best friend anywhere, though. After circling the house and backyard for the third time, I was stopped.

“Leland, you look lost.” Jared said. He was standing with Trey and Garrett, who were just about to leave.

“I can't find Alivia or Kennedy.”

Jared's brow furrowed, “They left, like, twenty minutes ago.”

I stared at him, “You're kidding me, right?” He awkwardly shook his head, “That bitch!” I groaned.

Garrett was laughing, “Come on, I'll drive you home.”

I eyed him skeptically, “How can I trust you?”

He seemed baffled by my question, “W-what? I-I-I talked to you all night! I'm not going to drive you to the desert and kill you.”

“But if I let you drive me home then that means you'll know where I live.”

Trey snorted, “He will most definitely not remember; he is handicapped when it comes to directions.”

Garrett shot his brother a dirty look then turned back to me, “Look, if you want to walk home, that's cool.”

I waved him off, “I was just fucking with you, come on, let's go.”

His car was small and yellow. It reminded me of mine, but his was a darker shade. The back seat was a bit messy, but nothing I couldn't handle. There was a large CD case that probably held two hundred CDs that looked full. Also, in the backseat, was a jean jacket and some shirts. Once I directed him in the way of my home and he put on “Sewing Season” by Brand New, I began to address the things in his backseat.

“So, do you live in your car or...?”

His eyes flickered to the rearview mirror before turning back to the road, “No, why?”

I picked up a black shirt with my pointer and thumb fingers then dropped it, “So you keep all of your clothes in the backseat? That must be difficult in the morning.”

I saw him smirk, “It's not that bad.” I let out a few chuckles before settling into the middle seat.

We drove in a comfortable silence. Garrett and his brother going back and forth a few times, talking about something music related I wasn't necessarily interested in. I just sat back and let the sounds of Brand New surround me while I waited for him to pull up to my house.

“Of course she's not here.” I said to myself when we pulled up to mine and Alivia's humble abode.

“They probably went back to Ken's place.” Trey said just as Garrett pulled into the driveway. My car was in the garage, so it wasn't as if he came close to hitting it or anything.

“She's going to get pregnant if she keeps up with the amount of sex they're having lately.”

The two boys laughed, “I doubt that's what they'll be doing tonight unless he wants his mother to walk in on them.” Garrett said.

I smirked, “For all you know, they could be doing it in a parking lot somewhere. Which they probably are. Horny bastards.” I sat for a moment, bitterly, before jumping back to reality, “Anyways, thanks for the ride. I really appreciate it, and I'll reply you one day, I promise.” I said as I opened the door.

“Oh, no, it's fine. I didn't want you stranded at John's.” Garrett waved me off.

I smiled, “Well, thanks again.” I said from outside of the car. “It was nice meeting you, Trey.”

“Oh, you, too.”

“I'll see you around, Garrett.” I said before shutting the door. He didn't back out of the driveway until I was safely inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heh. Hey. Been a while, huh? Time has been flying by lately. I haven't been doing anything really except two dates of Warped Tour (Pomona and San Diego), which left me so sunburnt and exhausted that I needed a day after each to just sit and do nothing. I went and saw Katy Perry: Part of Me tonight as part of a special sneak peek she had and I cried. I've been a fan since WAY before I Kissed a Girl and her summer on Warped Tour, before the Ur So Gay EP (before that song was even released on her myspace, really) and I just am so proud of her and how far she's come. Go see it!
Anyways, I hope you like where this is going. I haven't been writing it because I'm focused on my John story, but I have a handful of chapters written before I'm S.O.L. Comment? (:

Clothinggg